• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Help explaining how to replace things in a visited room/simulated persistence

R

rawket

So I'm trying to essentially "code out" the need for persistent rooms as much as I can, but I'm having some difficulty. I understand the basic premise of setting up a grid for visited rooms, but I'm not sure how to set up a grid for the objects in that room that need to be changed upon entering. And I'm especially confused as to how to set those things up when there will story progression. For example in one room in particular there will be a time when nothing is really going on, but then later when you enter there will be a cut scene and boss fight, then after that point there will be what's left over. Or in another room some objects will be deactivated, some sprites will be changed. How do I account for all of that in something that's done automatically with for loops and grids? I can change all the objects with the variable "state" but then I can't change weather their active or say if this object doesn't exist yet at a certain point in the story, create it.