Help deciding 8 bit style/retro sprite size, resolution, tile size?

C

champrt78

Hello,

I am very new to GM2 and am starting my first project. I am a programmer by trade and have always been interested in game development. I think for my first project I would like to attempt something retro/8-bit style. I am pretty confused by the sprite size/tile size/resolution thing. I am not sure that this would ever be something I would release on a platform , it would be more of a learning experience. But if it were to be released i would imagine I would like to see it on steam. Really just anywhere you could use a USB controller. I read on the forums about this and my best guess would be something like 400 x 240 resolution with sprites at 16x16 ? And tiles at 16x16 ? If someone could please shed some light on all this i would be greatly appreciated. I am no pixel artist but can get by, so maybe 8x8 with a smaller resolution ? I would prefer to spend more time on design/coding than art, but don't know if 16 vs 8 is that big of a deal when it comes to sprite design?

C

champrt78

640x360, but I do 624x360 to round to the 24x24 tileset. This results in two slight borders (assuming maintaining aspect ratio), but I find this easier to work with.
Interesting, Ive read that it is somewhat common practice to have main character sprites be 1 tile wide and 1.5 to 2 times tile height. Does this come into play with to choosing your resolution? Would one wan the vertical resolution to scale with both?