Help - Character Animation

B

Butter

Hello,
Currently my character is a tile set and I was wondering if it was possible to make it animate like when walking etc. Example: Press D character starts moving right and its starts going through 3 different tiles in an animation.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Your character should not be a tileset. Your character should be a regular sprite. Why are you trying to make your character work off of a tile set?

B

Butter

Because I was looking for a way to not have to manually redraw and create sprites for every animation of every item

B

Butter

Update: I think i figured it out :), thanks for any help though

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
You don't have to manually redraw and create sprites for every item. A sprite is a single resource/asset, and can be used by as many objects/instances as you want, including by directly applying them to the object, or even simply accessed by code to draw. There is no need for multiple duplicate sprites, and no need to use tiles for characters. I'm really going to have to guess that you somehow misunderstood something and that has led you to use tiles. Feel free to explain your logic and where you got that idea from so I can explain where you went wrong on that.

B

Butter

Okay,
Lets start with the character, first you need skin color - so i create each animation with the skin color ( run, walk, faint , idle, attack - each in all 4 directions) this is done in total with 5 different skin colors. After this is hair style, which I draw over top of the base sprite, so it require each animation with all 4 directions. After this is armour then helmet then weapon and so on. So instead of creating hundreds of sprites I used the tileset as a nice way to keep them together and easier to change, further more for the animation of the tileset:
By now having each item, customization and hair style on the same template for a tileset they all use the same number tile - when facing right use right idle tile for hair, skin color, armor etc. But the tricky part I had was the animation was not working. So utilizing the function in the tile set to create animation I made each series animate unto itself.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
You can use draw_sprite_part to draw part of a sprite, it works just fine with regular sprites.