• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GML Help/Advice with a 3D selection engine?

fishfern

Hi Everyone!

Apologies if this question has been asked before, I've been looking around for quite some time, but I can't seem to find anything, which makes me think I must not be looking at things from the right perspective.

I'm looking for some advice, resources, or tips with a mind to creating a 3D 'selection' engine, that (when in 3D mode) allows an object to select/collide/interact with an object in GameMaker's 3D space. I've been assuming this is the sort of mechanic that raycasting would be suited to, however I can only seem to track down resources for raycasting that focus on FPS mechanics. I'm guessing this could probably be adapted to what I need, however I worry that constantly throwing out a 3D ray would possibly be resource intensive (though I'm happy to be corrected).

I also thought about possibly having some kind of collision mesh placed in front of the player that is locked to the player's position, rotation, and the camera pitch, though once again I'm not too sure how efficient this way could be.

Once again, apologies if this is strange/misplaced question!

I'm super grateful for any advice, tips, direction anyone can give!