Not open for further replies.
H

Hello

GM Version: GameMaker: Studio 1.4.x
Target Platform: Desktop
Download: http://hellofangaming.github.io/HelloMarioEngine/#download
Links: Official Website, Video

Summary:
The Hello Mario Engine is an open source Mario engine for GameMaker: Studio that is feature packed, and designed to be easy to expand upon with user friendliness as a priority. The engine is fully documented with thousands of code comments, and includes tons of different powerups, over a hundred different enemies, and much, much more!

Tutorial:
After you start up GameMaker: Studio, you will see an import tab. Click on it, and import the HelloMarioEngine.gmz file included with the download. Read the included readme and manual for additional information.

Screenshots:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok this is absolutely an awesome engine. I didn't know this existed. I am assuming this was on old forums but prob buried under other submissions. A++++ This is one awesome engine. The physics are very true to the Mario games. I will be playing around with this for awhile.

K

Kazumo

Wow! This is indeed fantastic. I just managed to sign up to thank you for this. You've put a lot of work into it and I highly appreciate that!

M

Meowmere

This is a hard engine to modify, it's so tightly built that it's great!
This engine is like, 40% of my base knowledge of GM:S, basically this is what started me up.

I think I said it before, but I have no idea why you're releasing this for free instead of adding your own graphics and sound and making a billion dollars with it on Steam. You did a fantastic job with this engine. Most professional platformers have worse physics than this! Anyway, really great work, and very cool of you to share it freely.

MaGicBush

Wow thanks! I am just getting started with Game Maker Studio(I used GM 8 and 6 in the past way back), and this will be a good refresher course for me!

R

Robert

Adjusting the physics and blocking certain character abilities might be a decent amount of work he might not want to go through.
However, nothing prevents you from using this engine with the Super Mario Bros graphics...
What about just using a pixel shader? That might work no?

RangerX

Never seen a shader doing a better job than an artist creating pixel art.
There is pixelisation shaders of course but I suspect they would be horrible on Super Mario Allstars graphics. Those graphics aren't even higher res than NES graphics anyways. What could 8-bit-ise them could be a color reduction shader.

C

carzo

Wow... awesome OP

Thank you very much for uploading, I am sure it will help me understand GameMaker and programming in general.

By the way, I have been looking through the code for a while and couldn't find the actual mario's movement in his step event or in any of the scripts.

I can't even find how can you get the player keyboard inputs.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Wow... awesome OP

Thank you very much for uploading, I am sure it will help me understand GameMaker and programming in general.

By the way, I have been looking through the code for a while and couldn't find the actual mario's movement in his step event or in any of the scripts.

I can't even find how can you get the player keyboard inputs.
With project open in GMS, you can press Ctrl+Shift+F and enter "keyboard_check" or "vk_left" to search for code. It's mostly in obj_mario' user events.

F

fxokz

GM Version: GameMaker: Studio 1.4.x
Target Platform: Desktop
Download: http://hellofangaming.github.io/HelloMarioEngine/#download
Links: Official Website, Video

Summary:
The Hello Mario Engine is an open source Mario engine for GameMaker: Studio that is feature packed, and designed to be easy to expand upon with user friendliness as a priority. The engine is fully documented with thousands of code comments, and includes tons of different powerups, over a hundred different enemies, and much, much more!

Tutorial:
After you start up GameMaker: Studio, you will see an import tab. Click on it, and import the HelloMarioEngine.gmz file included with the download. Read the included readme and manual for additional information.

Screenshots:
one can learn so much from an open source like this.. thanks man.

E

Edmanbosch

Seems like it would be pretty cool, but I kinda wish you had less "stuff" in the engine, and the code is kinda messy.

V

VintermGames

This engine is awesome!! It's so much like a Mario game, It's hard to get that feel with my experience with game maker. This hits the nail on the head :)

B

BasementGames inc.

You can import the GMS1 project into GMS2 via the "Import" button on the starting screen.
I did just that before i wrote my comment. But there's some functions that are different in GMS 2. I was testing and when i throw (like shell) item it disappears. When i imported .gms file and it shows me error report for some functions.

I noticed Items and Mario will sometimes get a few pixels inside a wall, this happens because of how the collision code works, it doesn't cause any collision glitches and the objects don't get stuck, but you can visibly notice objects will get a few pixels into the wall (ex. If you jump with Mario and kick a spring into the top corner of a block, the spring will sometimes land a couple pixels into the block).
You can prevent this by changing around the collision code and including the objects 'hspeed' and 'vspeed +gravity' into the collision_rectangle equation, then the collision will always pixel perfect.

I also made it so when Mario jumps off objects (ex. enimies, springs) he will be shifted to the top of that object before jumping, It makes the jump height off objects more consistant, since he doesn't always land at the same height relative to that object.

Last edited:
Btw thanks a million for making this engine Hello, I've been studying the code for a couple months now and I finally get how it all fits together and I've been improving the code.
This engine is really well made; has gamepad and even touch screen support.
Most platform examples that even cost money aren't this complete or well made.

Lol I remeber using GM8 back in the day and trying to understand how the Hello Engine worked but it was way to complicated for me back then.

If you are using GameMaker Studio 2, and not GameMaker Studio, then you need to import the Hello Mario Engine into GameMaker Studio 2.
I don't know how you're supposed to do that but I imported normally to Game Maker Studio 2 and it gave me like 50 errors, 200 warnings and it's unplayable because the physics are broken
Is there a different way one is supposed to import this into Game Maker Studio 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.