• Hey! Guest! The 39th GMC Jam will take place between November 26th, 12:00 UTC and November 30th, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!

Legacy GM Hello Mario Engine

Hello

GM Version: GameMaker: Studio 1.4.x
Target Platform: Desktop
Download: http://hellofangaming.github.io/HelloMarioEngine/#download
Links: Official Website, Video

Summary:
The Hello Mario Engine is an open source Mario engine for GameMaker: Studio that is feature packed, and designed to be easy to expand upon with user friendliness as a priority. The engine is fully documented with thousands of code comments, and includes tons of different powerups, over a hundred different enemies, and much, much more!

Tutorial:
After you start up GameMaker: Studio, you will see an import tab. Click on it, and import the HelloMarioEngine.gmz file included with the download. Read the included readme and manual for additional information.

Screenshots:

Last edited:
Ok this is absolutely an awesome engine. I didn't know this existed. I am assuming this was on old forums but prob buried under other submissions. A++++ This is one awesome engine. The physics are very true to the Mario games. I will be playing around with this for awhile.

K

Kazumo

Wow! This is indeed fantastic. I just managed to sign up to thank you for this. You've put a lot of work into it and I highly appreciate that!

M

Meowmere

This is a hard engine to modify, it's so tightly built that it's great!
This engine is like, 40% of my base knowledge of GM:S, basically this is what started me up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I said it before, but I have no idea why you're releasing this for free instead of adding your own graphics and sound and making a billion dollars with it on Steam. You did a fantastic job with this engine. Most professional platformers have worse physics than this! Anyway, really great work, and very cool of you to share it freely.

MaGicBush

Wow thanks! I am just getting started with Game Maker Studio(I used GM 8 and 6 in the past way back), and this will be a good refresher course for me!

RangerX

Can you make a Super Mario Bros. (8-bit) Engine?
Adjusting the physics and blocking certain character abilities might be a decent amount of work he might not want to go through.
However, nothing prevents you from using this engine with the Super Mario Bros graphics...

Reactions: 607
R

Robert

Adjusting the physics and blocking certain character abilities might be a decent amount of work he might not want to go through.
However, nothing prevents you from using this engine with the Super Mario Bros graphics...
What about just using a pixel shader? That might work no?

RangerX

Never seen a shader doing a better job than an artist creating pixel art.
There is pixelisation shaders of course but I suspect they would be horrible on Super Mario Allstars graphics. Those graphics aren't even higher res than NES graphics anyways. What could 8-bit-ise them could be a color reduction shader.

C

carzo

Wow... awesome OP

Thank you very much for uploading, I am sure it will help me understand GameMaker and programming in general.

By the way, I have been looking through the code for a while and couldn't find the actual mario's movement in his step event or in any of the scripts.

I can't even find how can you get the player keyboard inputs.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Wow... awesome OP

Thank you very much for uploading, I am sure it will help me understand GameMaker and programming in general.

By the way, I have been looking through the code for a while and couldn't find the actual mario's movement in his step event or in any of the scripts.

I can't even find how can you get the player keyboard inputs.
With project open in GMS, you can press Ctrl+Shift+F and enter "keyboard_check" or "vk_left" to search for code. It's mostly in obj_mario' user events.

fxokz

GM Version: GameMaker: Studio 1.4.x
Target Platform: Desktop
Download: http://hellofangaming.github.io/HelloMarioEngine/#download
Links: Official Website, Video

Summary:
The Hello Mario Engine is an open source Mario engine for GameMaker: Studio that is feature packed, and designed to be easy to expand upon with user friendliness as a priority. The engine is fully documented with thousands of code comments, and includes tons of different powerups, over a hundred different enemies, and much, much more!

Tutorial:
After you start up GameMaker: Studio, you will see an import tab. Click on it, and import the HelloMarioEngine.gmz file included with the download. Read the included readme and manual for additional information.

Screenshots:
one can learn so much from an open source like this.. thanks man.

Edmanbosch

Seems like it would be pretty cool, but I kinda wish you had less "stuff" in the engine, and the code is kinda messy.

Last edited:
V

VintermGames

This engine is awesome!! It's so much like a Mario game, It's hard to get that feel with my experience with game maker. This hits the nail on the head :)

B

BasementGames inc.

You can import the GMS1 project into GMS2 via the "Import" button on the starting screen.
I did just that before i wrote my comment. But there's some functions that are different in GMS 2. I was testing and when i throw (like shell) item it disappears. When i imported .gms file and it shows me error report for some functions.