• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Hell with IDE when screen resolution is less than 1080p

G

Gargo

For example, my screen resolution 1600x900 - look at code editor:
Безымянный.png
Is it possible to setup its size instead of resizing each time? Must I buy a bigger display?

sylvain_l

playing with the dpi override settings ( file>preferences>general settings ; check the override box and put it at a vlaue <100% )
NB: it will rescale everything (meaning smaller text too; so don't go too small if you want to be able to still read text ;) )

that could help gain a little space. But won't do magic. Not going to be like you got a 4k screen :p

edit: ho afterthought , you were talking about the execute code node in the DnD dailog ?! (you know you can clic on the top right icon to make the dialog a tab ^^ you'll have plenty room for your node tree.. or perhaps not I have a 1440p so I have trouble guessing how it will look in a 900p)

Last edited:
G

Gargo

dpi is not appropriate because it stretches everything

the logic is simple - If I want to edit a big chukof code then I need as mch space as possible. Maximize button creates a tab for a list of blocks but i need something similar for a single block with code.

Finally GMS2 treats code like usual block so by default it has inner horizontal scroll and in the same time its left and right parts are hidden and you need to scroll/zoom/maximize and etc to view them

sylvain_l

yep, I don't have that problem; cause my preference are modified to open object with all event in tab and I mostly work with pure GML project not DnD. (so when coding most of the time I'm far from a code nod in a event dialog box in a workspace tab and that with a 1440p :p)
I don't know of any preference that allow to change default size of the event dialog box nor the execute_code node

to be honest, if you want logic and space to edit your code, use gml project instead of execute_code node in DnD project (NB: also execute_code node are by default more than 80 char wide, that considered to be enough - there are even coding style that enfore a limit to that max char wide -).

H

HW.

My notebook screen is 14-inch with 1080p. I think it is recommended to adjust display settings to use GMS2 better on Windows if screen is 1080p, especially if less than 1080p.

On Windows ten/Display settings with 1920x1080 px resolution, i use " 125% " on Scale and layout. //This will give effect to all programs, not just GMS2, restart windows if no effect

On GMS2 i don't enable DPI override. It is 144 Raw DPI value.

I like this setting.

I think you can experiment on the percentage of "Scale and layout" on Windows/Display settings and/or also with DPI override settings on GMS2 Preferences/General Settings.

Edit: I use GML, not DnD. Maybe it is different with the layout if there are also buttons on the right side of the window.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gargo

I prefer the mixed style - I use both dnd and code depending on which way is easier for concrete task

SOLVED:

According to tutorials I thought there could be DnD only or Code mode only. But they can be mixed and DnD screen from my question can be converted to Code separately from other parts

Last edited by a moderator: