• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE HD graphics and no good anti-aliasing

mrredleg0

I am trying to use HD graphics with a cartoony style in GMS2. However, even with the color interpolation turned on all the edges of the graphics look pixelated, rough and generally not great. Does anybody have a solution? I have been trying to figure this out for days and any help would be great!

ophelius

GM uses texture pages, it's not something you can choose. Go to your Windows or MacOS settings under Graphics, and there you can increase the texture page size

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I wasn't using texture pages.
You are, you just don't realize it. All projects use texture pages if it has even a single sprite or font. If your texture pages are too small (e.g. 1024x1024), then at compile time the sprites will get scaled down, then look awful at runtime when it has to be scaled back up.
Is that something I should do?
Go to Game Options, select the platform you are targeting, go to Graphics, then increase the texture page size there.

ophelius

Can you post an example of what your sprites are meant to look like and a screenshot of the results you're getting?

mrredleg0

You are, you just don't realize it. All projects use texture pages if it has even a single sprite or font. If your texture pages are too small (e.g. 1024x1024), then at compile time the sprites will get scaled down, then look awful at runtime when it has to be scaled back up.

Go to Game Options, select the platform you are targeting, go to Graphics, then increase the texture page size there.
That didn't help.

Made in GameMaker Studio 2 5_15_2020 3_05_05 PM.png
Okay, so here is a circle in a 1920x1080 room. if you look at the edges there are parts that are pixelated and muddy. It looks even worse on more complex images.

kupo15

Sorry to say, but these aren't HD HQ graphics at all and there is no need for you to have your TP set to 4096x. Is that the original size of the sprites in the IDE or did you scale it up in game to be that huge?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
The sprite you attached looks exactly the same as in the screenshot to me (down to the exact dimensions)... could you point out what the issue you're having with this is? In general I can't make out any problems with both of the screenshots you've posted. They look perfectly fine to me.

mrredleg0

When in game the edges just look rough.

Not really sure how else to explain it. Is there some sort of MSSA filter I could use? Or FXSA?

Z

zendraw

Sorry to say, but these aren't HD HQ graphics at all and there is no need for you to have your TP set to 4096x. Is that the original size of the sprites in the IDE or did you scale it up in game to be that huge?
what qualifies as hdhq grapphics?

S

Sybok

When in game the edges just look rough.
Looks perfect to me given the sprite used. What am I not seeing here?

I'm not sure what the result is that are expecting to see here.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesArts

Not seeing an issue.

I know that by default the sprite edges might be aliased (along the bounding box), because that will take over from any texture interpolation, if you add a small transparent buffer (transparent border) around the edge of sprites it'll look smoother, but this should ONLY be apparent when rotating. When not rotated it should look fine, and it seems to from what I can see.

Last edited:
S

Sybok

Not seeing an issue.

I know that by default the sprite edges might be aliased (along the bounding box), because that will take over from any texture interpolation, if you add a small transparent buffer (transparent border) around the edge of sprites it'll look smoother, but this should ONLY be apparent when rotating. When not rotated it should look fine, and it seems to from what I can see.
In the event of that type of situation display_reset(8, true) will clean that up.

drandula

Looks perfect to me given the sprite used. What am I not seeing here?

I'm not sure what the result is that are expecting to see here.
Maybe the image files are compressed and the details are lost and therefore we just can't see it from these pictures. Uncompressed pictures are necessary for comparison. I am in phone now so can't compare them well anyway.

There are antialiasing options as previously mentioned.

S

Sybok

There are antialiasing options as previously mentioned.
The images are anti-aliased to begin with. He has even given us the original source png file that he is using. His GM output is identical to what Photoshop would produce.

I can't even see any 'pixelated' evidence from any screenshot that has been produced in this thread.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Is this what you're talking about?

As in, that there are more than two colors and the transitions between them and the background are slightly blurred? (This is what we refer to as "anti-aliasing".)

If so, that is present in the source image as well... it is being rendered exactly the way it was created.

If that's not it, please elaborate.

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Are you referring to vector images?
What are different from bitmap images, see:

If so, you can import a Flash image (.swf) and test to see how it looks.