• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

3D Having issues with a 3D tutorial from GMS 2

S

ShawnyTheFox

I wanted to mess around with Heartbeast's 3d dungeon crawler, so i downloaded it and ran it. It set up some compatibility script stuff, and when i ran it actually worked pretty well. The one problem is that the view seems to be zoomed out, but i have no clue what could be causing it. (I downloaded the completed project)
here is the link to the tutorial: http://learn.heartbeast.co/blog/278464/3d-dungeon-crawler
and here is the download i used: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5floadu4lkgjr9w/3D Dungeon Crawler Finished.gmz?dl=0
I don't know how to post the image.
i can still move and look around, even though it is hard to tell if you are moving.
I have no clue how to fix it but i really want to get it working. thanks in advance for any help!
Edit: On closer inspection it seems that the roof/floor are also broken.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Misu

Tbh... I received several people asking for help regarding on tutorials they have been following on and its mostly from HeartBeast... So I doubt really rely on such person actually. I wouldnt suggest following them. But its hard to find a reliable source for 3D tutorials now a days.

Can you explain me what are you trying to do exactly? I might provide a better explanation.

Also i just woke up i need breakfast before heading to computer. Wont take long

EDIT: Oh I seee... This is a GMS1.4 file you trying to transfer to GMS2... Well sometimes you cant rely on the engine to transfer from one version to another perfectly. Its likely to come out something broken. Anyway why are you trying to pass this tutorial over to GMS2 if I may ask?

Last edited:
S

ShawnyTheFox

I just wanted to mess around with 3D (and by "mess around" i mean make a really really large dungeon and explore it.). When i run it the 3D does weird things, i don't know how to describe it and don't know how to post an image :p

If i can't get this project working i don't really care, i am new to gamemaker studio and should probably not be starting on 3d yet.

I

Insanebrio

As you said, you should do other stuff first. 3d is not too hard but thers so much stuff to keep in mind that for a new user can be complex. Also, you should make your own edior and physics, as gms does not have a built in level editor / 3d physics. Also (yea theres even more) one of the wierdest things they made with gms2 is to leave 3d intact but they removed the built in model loading function, meaning you should create even that.
Im not saying you cant make good 3d games with gms2, just saying that its not the best option.
Honestly, if you want to make a 3d game and you just started gms, leave it for unreal 4. It is the best engine for 3d games and its blueprints coding is similar to gms dnd, just a bit more complex.

S

ShawnyTheFox

Thanks for the advice, if I ever want to create a 3D game I will look into it. I probably won't do anything with 3D for a while. I only got this project so that I had something to mess around with, my focus is to create a top-down, so I doubt I will need any 3d. Again, thanks for the help!