• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Having issues getting Visual Studio Community 2015 for YYC

Micah_DS

As the title suggests, I've been unable to get the YYC to work because I can't get VS Community 2015.
It may or may not be helpful information, but I have Windows 8.1. I already did a search here on the forums and all links are outdated, and I'm not finding a solution via Google or by searching around on Microsoft's website.

The link given for Visual Studio Community 2015 in this guide is no longer a valid link (@Nocturne you might want to fix that, if possible) and the only version I can find from Microsoft is from this page, but when I run the executable I downloaded from there I immediately get an error that simply says "Operation aborted" (pic), which is incredibly unhelpful in letting me know WHY. The file name of the one I tried is "vs_community_ENU__1762226360.1491955266.exe". I noticed a video someone made to show how to set up the YYC in GMS2 and they ran a very similarly named file, but the version numbers are slightly different. Not sure if that's relevant. BTW, the link he talks about in the video description just takes you to VS 2017 now.

It's like the window to get VS Community 2015 is gone..?

The only other 2015 VS option I know of is the Enterprise 2015 version (this is all that comes up when I searched on Microsoft's website via their search engine), but it isn't free, obviously - it only offers a trial version.

The problem is, will it not work for YYC when the trial runs out? Will it even work at all? Does anyone know?
With my internet, I'm really not wanting to download gigs of something if it's not going to work. Even still, at this point, I'm about ready to try downloading the enterprise trial version though... but first I might just go for 2017?

I'm also wondering if what was said on another guide page - "Be aware we do not support Visual Studio 2017" -means that it outright won't work or if it's just to say it may or may not work properly? Because I see there is a free Visual Studio Community 2017 version, and it is sooooo easy to find, unlike 2015.

And finally may I just say that this royally sucks. (sorry to whine)

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
It appears that MS have removed the VS2015 COmmunity download from their site... so you'll need to use the 2017 version (and afaik, 2017 is supported, or will be in the next update - I'll see if I can clarification on that point). However the setup is different to previous VS, and I haven't actually gone through it myself so I'm not 100% sure what you'll have to do. I'll get on it ASAP and try and get that article updated before the weekend.

Micah_DS

Alright, thanks for the reply! I'll go ahead and just try VS Community 2017. I'll try to download overnight and hopefully be able to try it out and post my result before I have to go in to work tomorrow.

sylvain_l

you can still get VS 2015 Community. It's just a bit trickier to get to the download.

(need to free subscribe for the visual studio dev essential program - go to the downloads section, and just search for the 2015 version)

R

RobbSnow

At least in my 2017 Pro, there is an option to install VC 140 (VS2015) compatibility. Look at the available packages during the install

Micah_DS

you can still get VS 2015 Community. It's just a bit trickier to get to the download.

(need to free subscribe for the visual studio dev essential program - go to the downloads section, and just search for the 2015 version)
I already did that but had no luck. I think they removed it very recently though.

At least in my 2017 Pro, there is an option to install VC 140 (VS2015) compatibility. Look at the available packages during the install
Thanks for the heads up! I see "VC++ 2015.3 v140 toolset (x86,x64)", so I'm hoping that's what you're talking about and I'm downloading / installing it now. Won't get to try it until after work today though.

EDIT:
It actually downloaded faster than I thought, but now I'm not sure where it installed it. GMS2 isn't picking it up but it could very well be that I'm not giving it the right folder path.
I assume it would still be someplace in the default path where my 2017 stuff is installed..
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017"

Last edited:
Y

Yazuka

With the release of Visual Studio 2017 Microsoft have changed the format of their folder, if you point to the base folder it won't work so we've had to change this internally to point at a batch file instead.

Until the next release you won't be able to use Visual Studio 2017 as our Required SDKs page states and in turn build for YYC.

In the meanwhile you should be able to download Visual Studio 2015 Community from https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/older-downloads/ you'll need to sign in with an MSDN account to get the installer.

Micah_DS

Thank you! I did get an MSDN account and searched there before, but I must not have been on the "All" product type or something, because the only one that came up was Enterprise 2015. I've finally got the right installer now.

Sorry to be a bother. I usually don't have trouble with this kind of thing, but there are so many VS versions and pages and redirections out there that it's like a convoluted maze. It's kind of ridiculous.