• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Have you tried moving an existing game in GM2?

A

Aura

That would be a bad move. Given that a large number of old functions are now obsolete and even basic things like instance creation and views work in a different way, it would be better if you start the project from scratch. You might want to wait until the limitation is removed and compatibility scripts are available. Even with that, some things are not guaranteed to work without changes.

A

Aura

@Lonewolff: I was talking about the current (Trial) version. I think that is what the OP was asking about.

Once GMS2 is launched, you would be able to import old projects just fine. Currently compatibility scripts work only when you import an old project, so once importing is possible, you would be able to use them as well. But not with the Trial version.

Schwee

@Lonewolff: I was talking about the current (Trial) version. I think that is what the OP was asking about.

Once GMS2 is launched, you would be able to import old projects just fine. Currently compatibility scripts work only when you import an old project, so once importing is possible, you would be able to use them as well. But not with the Trial version.
I suppose I was asking about both. I just finally started reading about GM2 the other day. I have project thats still early in development (relatively speaking). Definitely curious about running in GM2 but I imagine sticking with 1.4 is safer for the time being.

I was ultimately just curious if code is executed the same way, but it sounds like the changes are pretty major and new logic will be required in some cases.

A

Aura

GameMaker Studio 2 FAQ said:
GameMaker Studio 2 will import GameMaker: Studio 1.4 projects just fine. For any obsolete functions we will generate a compatibility script automatically for you so we can hopefully get your project running straight away - this compatibility script can continue to be used or you can edit your project so the extra script is no longer needed.

Some older resources (e.g., backgrounds and especially the old way of using tiles) will require a bit of manual work to bring them into line with the new functionality.
Here's a guide that should help you:

http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/231719468-Porting-A-GMS-1-4-Game-To-GameMaker-Studio-2