GameMaker Have you *officially* moved over to GM2 yet?

A

AnonyMouse

1 year since I bought 1 year subscribe license. Used it about 10 days. I had to rethink all in my games because of changed GMLanguage. When a new version is here it usually happens that all games should be re-written because they can not work. I am tired to do this because of that or because I must rewrite the code (mess) or some bug occured.
I cant get comfortable with the interface, sad there is not a choise to work in classic mode.
Another bad point is that is requires to update at starting, if I say no, it closes. I feel it somehow like windows 10 and I am tired of update assistant, messages, skype update... Before I start doing anything I must close a bunch of messages and windows and GM2 is going the same way.
Upgrading to the last version in anykind of software is the worst think one can do if it is a big project. This may ruin everything because of being incompatible, unexpected bugs - and wait, we will fix it.... eventually...later... but you can not revert to the old version, because it can not open the project :p
And it is an illusion that having the last version is the best choises. Most people with modern tools can not achieve things made in 80s or 90s with much primitive software. Using Photoshop 2019 doesnt make anyone better than a master who is using v. 6 for example. But makes someone richer.

G

greyzeb

Still using 1.4 for my main project. I tried GMS2 once and seems to be a bit buggy although the display is good. Not ready to switch now.

M

Misty

Still using 1.4 for my main project. I tried GMS2 once and seems to be a bit buggy although the display is good. Not ready to switch now.
Same. Also have always been a fan of zebras. Maybe we were meant to see eye to eye.

The other game engines seem horrible to use so of course GM2 is better, that's like comparing it to rock bottom. Overall Gm1.4 is better than Gm2 except GM1.4 is has a horrible room editor. Gm1.4's sprite editor is primitive but useable, gm2's sprite editor is advanced and unusable for me. I can use gimp and photoshop just fine and it should have been made more like that, those are like the industry standard.

So i build my project in gm1.4 and put it in gm2 later, gm2 is useable enough for it to be not too much of a hassle usually.

I started out with ( and still use ) Game maker studio 2. I have heard it is worse in some was such as number of tutorials and occasional corruption, but it’s good.

C

CE Studios

Testing out GMS 2 during GMC Jam 32 and I have to say, the room editor is WAY better and I LOVE the layer system. It's all still possible in GM:S 1.4, but I actually prefer the layout of GMS 2. However, the $99 bucks is a tad steep for a college student like me, so I'm stuck with GM:S 1.4 after the 28th when the temporary GMC Jam license expires. If it ever goes to Humble Bundle like GM:S 1.4 did, then I'll be sure to get it and make the switch, but until then, I am happy with GM:S 1.4.

rIKmAN

Testing out GMS 2 during GMC Jam 32 and I have to say, the room editor is WAY better and I LOVE the layer system. It's all still possible in GM:S 1.4, but I actually prefer the layout of GMS 2. However, the $99 bucks is a tad steep for a college student like me, so I'm stuck with GM:S 1.4 after the 28th when the temporary GMC Jam license expires. If it ever goes to Humble Bundle like GM:S 1.4 did, then I'll be sure to get it and make the switch, but until then, I am happy with GM:S 1.4.
If it helps, you can get a 12mth Creators Licence which runs on and allows export to Windows or Mac (not both) for $39.
If you update to the full $99 Desktop Licence during those 12mths then you get the cost of Creators deducted from the price so you don't lose anything going that route.

There are also regular discounts on most licences (including Creators) usually from 20% - 50% off, so keep an eye on YYG Twitter or sign up for the newsletter.

I just recently came back to GM, so my GM:S 1.4 license (got from a bundle) sat and did nothing. I'm on GMS2 now and I like it, I feel like there are still quite a few things missing that I remember having access to, especially when it comes to image tools. Other than those minor issues, I'm a big fan of the way everything feels now. I feel like this is a huge jump in the right direction.

C

Cloudy

I did... from Gamemaker 8.1. I used it in my classroom at a primary school. After switching to GMS2 it looked promising but was spending far too much time working through bugs. On the upside the students were developing their skills in patience and persistence which was great. I did prefer the simple layout of the former platform for educational usage and reaching desired outcomes.

JeffJ

So... More than a year later, and approximately 2 out of 12 items in this post has been fixed.

https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...oved-over-to-gm2-yet.38689/page-3#post-269035

Still no ignoring comments, still no multiple asset import, still no local package import without MP, still no "check references", and so many more completely rudimentary IDE things that are just a daily pain to work with compared to GMS1. At this point I seriously doubt if they will ever get fixed.

Rob

I just recently came back to GM, so my GM:S 1.4 license (got from a bundle) sat and did nothing. I'm on GMS2 now and I like it, I feel like there are still quite a few things missing that I remember having access to, especially when it comes to image tools. Other than those minor issues, I'm a big fan of the way everything feels now. I feel like this is a huge jump in the right direction.
I miss some of the image tools too. Gradients, rounded rectangles, all the transform and animation stuff... Suits me better than GM2's editor.

I usually just use GM2nto make and edit things but very rarely I still load up 1.4 just to use the image editor.

Sabnock

Here's one reason why I officially moved to GMS2.

Hell, this is useful even on a single monitor. You could never have this much open in GMS1.
This, and many others

been using since the beta, never looked back at 1.4

NetZvezda

I switched over at the very beginning. There was a sale going on and I just couldn't miss out on the opportunity. However I only have one game out at the moment, so the cost isn't justified yet. Oh well, baby steps I guess.

PS: With the release of Godot, I am not sure the cost is justifiable anymore.

A

Arestris

Hello!
I bought 1.4 long ago in a Humblebundle, but never really used it. Right now I try to find out, if I want to start over with 1.4, what I already own, or if I buy version 2 (especially since it's 20% of right now on Humble Store for two more days) . (Or if I go with some completely other solution ... but that's no topic for in here). I'm really unsure, if I really do something with it, it would be 100% personal thing ... so I'm still unsure, if I really want spent money right now.

But 2.0 is still the main version and will surly stay for some time? Would be stupid, buying 2.0, if they announce in three months or so a new version!

G

Guest User

I've been using gms1.4 for about two years and recently I found gms2 on sale on a certain site and I grabbed it, sadly I dislike it, purely the new UI, I think its terrible and I'm finding myself wanting to go back to 1.4 as I really don't get on with gms2.

I had a bit of a tough time moving over from GMS 1.4 to GMS 2 since I was accustomed to literally everything in GMS 1.4. What finally ended Gms 1.4 for me was when I was saving and then it said "not responding" and the engine crashed. So far with GMS 2 this has only happened once and I'm very much satisfied with it. However if you use Ctrl+I when loading images it MIGHT crash on you. So, as a precaution i always save before and after loading images!

D

Dan_Bardan

I have both, I bought the GMS2 when the trial key ended, because it was nice experience and I see more of program features, but still, I have not yet gotten used to the new layout.
But unfortunately I can't migrate to GMS2 yet. I can't buy the modules since my resources is very limitaded. I can only hope that my future games make some revenue. The GMS1 was more cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Andrew R. C. Beck

How many people have made the jump and committed to game maker 2, using it on a day to day basis for proper projects?

I've bought it, but I haven't made anything serious with it. GM 1.4 is just too familiar still.
I have the GMS2 Desktop license but I am finding it is more intimidating than I thought as I too prefer the comfort of familiarity with GMS1.4 :)

Andrey

I immediately switched to GMS2 right after the release and use it daily. 1.4 deleted.
I use GMS2 for mobile development, so support for new features is essential.

L

Lonewolff

Similar to @Andrey, I purchased it the day it was offered as a paid beta release.

I still do quick prototypes in 1.4 as it is far quicker to navigate around. But any serious project is done in 2.x as there is no real point in developing in 1.4 if you own a license to GMS2.

Luigi1000

Yup, started in other versions and moved over to 2. We also ported over a team project to it because while 1.4 was good we could not STAND the long compile times due to simple programming changes, not to mention the horrible icon menu flicking issue making doing things at startup virtually impossible.

I'm honestly surprised by how many people use the image editors in GMS (1.4 or 2). I've only ever used them for quick touch-ups, both had SO many features missing that a proper image editing software has (even free ones like GIMP) that I couldn't imagine making it part of my standard work-flow. In any case, I use GMS2 and have for like...8 months or so maybe. I like it a lot better. For like the first week of using it, it felt pretty daunting (having to relearn the workflow) but after that, it was full steam ahead. The only thing that -really- frustrated me was the bug where it would sometimes hang when trying to open the import file pop-ups. But that recently got fixed so yaaaaaay.

Q

Quotentickles

yea, I gotta say it's different compared to the older versions. It feels more modern and clean imo

P

POCMOC PANDA

I moved over to Game Maker Studio 2 and I got used to the new interface suprisingly quickly (in approximately a week of casual use) :)
The new room editor is a massive improvement!

dawidM

I bought GMS2 but still work on 1.499. I don't understand why they got rid of many useful features in image editor like: colorize, transparency, buttonize and so on. The very poor image editor is one of the most important reasons why I am still using 1.499.

Reactions: Yal
Z

zircher

I can't justify buying everything over again now that my son's interest in GMS has waned.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I bought GMS2 but still work on 1.499. I don't understand why they got rid of many useful features in image editor like: colorize, transparency, buttonize and so on. The very poor image editor is one of the most important reasons why I am still using 1.499.
You forgot the most important one: pasting an image. The brush feature is neat, but in 99% of cases you don't need it, and it just adds an extra step AND litters your brush menu so it's harder to navigate.

I also remember missing a "save as" option (which is pretty handy if you're using the GM sprite editor as a general-purpose graphics editor), not sure if that's fixed now... I've moved over to using GIMP for most of my graphics editing lately (ADDITIVE BLEND MODE LAYERSSSSSSSSSSSS *-*) so I mostly import stuff that's already done when I use GMS2 these days.

I hate black interface in GM Studio 2. Is there any way to change interface colors like Game Maker 8? Even in GM Studio 1.4 i used to work with GM8 skin.

I hate black interface in GM Studio 2. Is there any way to change interface colors like Game Maker 8? Even in GM Studio 1.4 i used to work with GM8 skin.
Screenshot(4).png
File > Preferences > General Settings > IDE skin
You can change the background too, since it'll just be a plain, white background. It's not exactly the same, but it does have a light theme.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
You forgot the most important one: pasting an image. The brush feature is neat, but in 99% of cases you don't need it, and it just adds an extra step AND litters your brush menu so it's harder to navigate.
I do agree.... this was on my like to change the default of. The brush thing is WAY too handy to ditch, but I was planning on moving it to another key, then implementing a "standard" cut/paste method where you can pan/scale/rotate the thing you're pasting.

But I wasn't given the time/people to do it.... Images these days are too large to just use the brush method it turns out, so it really needs to be swapped over. I hope one day YoYo will get around to it now that Stuart is in charge, but they've currently got bigger fish to fry with things like the the GML changes and sequences... perhaps after that, they'll be able to afford the personal to add a couple of image editor things.

Even a "resize image to the correct size and paste to the top left corner" would be an improvement at the moment.... shrug

But for simple pixel work, the GMS2 editor is brilliant. I've not found anything close..... so I do use it for non-GMS stuff as well.

C

ChurchCrusade

I bought GMS2 a while ago, and have messed around in it from time to time. I'm still using Game Maker 8.1 though. At least until I finish my current project. I'm eager to move to the new software though. It has so many handy features.

gnysek

GML changes and sequences... perhaps after that
Sequences Phase 3 are planned for Q4 2020, so I hope they gonna work on pasting images before :p

As for GMS2, I've started to use it since beta, and never came back to 1.x - mainly because I like layers, regions, cleanup event, and that backgrounds and sprites are one thing now. As all of my projects were working without a problem in GMS2, I just wanted to be up to date. Also I thought that there would be faster pace for new changes now. Seeing how fast they made a new IDE... but yeah, those big GML changes that are coming soon should be worth waiting, and who still works on 1.4 should finally uninstall it after that.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Also I thought that there would be faster pace for new changes now. Seeing how fast they made a new IDE...
It was really unstable in the beginning back when it was still in beta (GUI widgets flipping out, IDE randomly crashing, the automated updater getting stuck in an endless loop of waiting for some thing to close so it could continue...) and I'd imagine keeping it stable requires a more careful pace than back in the "make sure it has more features than the prequel" days.

Jett

Digital Artist
I just bought the Desktop, Web and Mobile Bundle. I finally had enough money to get the bundle. Time to make something yeee :)

MaGicBush

I just made the move over during the black Friday sale. I havnt used it much yet, but I did mess with the drag n drop and the sprite editor a bit. It seems alright, but I liked the old drag n drop better(thinking of gm 8.1 since I never used 1.4). I will play with it more soon as I got a udemy course.

M

Misty

Nope cant stand the abomination that is gms2. Ultimately it was what led me away from gamemaker and into other languages.
I used to think that as well. But I now realize GMS2 is not really that bad.

The main problem with GMS2 is the GUI. The sprite editor is an abomination, but the GUI is just so-so. It lacks pretty colors and its hard to see things with my eyes, additionally windows can no longer stack, taking up too much space. The room editor seems to have a learning curve and not as easy as before, however it no longer lags like the old room editor, so overall no net gain or loss with the room editor.

Last edited:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I'm having some beef with the new workspace system... you can't organize all windows you're dealing with at once anymore (since the perspective jumps around whenever you change to a new asset, disorienting you), but since fullscreen code tabs basically is that but better, I don't miss it too much. But I'd really like an option to have text antialiased when you zoom out to get an overview, because right now it becomes illegible at just a slight zoom-out.
upload_2019-12-18_17-23-55.png
Note how some symbols (in this case, the = on the row with image_alpha, and some underscores) disappear with the non-antialiased text, and how the "case 0" is indistinguishable from a "case 8"? The distortions are so messy it becomes impossible to read the text without zooming in again, mostly ruining the point of zooming. Heck, even the caret can become invisible occasionally (since it's also 1 pixel thick) so you can't even tell where in the code you're editing.

Cpaz

In general, I've had a mixed reception towards the workspace system. I now just have all of my code opened at all times.
Like so:
workspace mess.PNG
It looks messy, but I like this system. It lets me cycle things I know I have to work with and stuff I'm finished with subconsciously. It's been an effective workflow these last few months.

Something that sincerely pisses me off, however (pardon my french), is how object event tabs just refuse to automatically group together.
For example, if I open an event for obj_player, it'll just open it in the last open tab, not with the other obj_player tabs.

I cannot stress enough how infuriating this is to work around. It's literally my only true gripe with the IDE since I've worked around everything else I have issues with.
If you're going to make it this difficult to manage all of these different events, just let me have one grouped script per object (ala parakeet or GMEdit) and let me use an external text editor.
*eternal sigh*

Anyway, rant over. I'm still enjoying GMS2's improvements thoroughly I should say, and the GML changes should make it all even more worthwhile.

JeffJ

It just dawned on me that, if I could have GMS2 with the floating, self contained code windows of GMS1 (which you can move to another monitor without it getting its own "app-wrapper"), I would actually be quite happy. One of the only things that annoyed me with GMS1 IDE was that you couldn't close an object window without also closing any related code editors, but it's just as bad now, as I can't close the main object window or the events list, so it's same difference really, but at least GMS1 made it easier for me to organize it the way I wanted it (yes, even with overlapping enabled). It also didn't have all those little visual annoyances like the vertical splitlines that makes overlapping a real eye sore. And it didn't mess up my view and auto pan every single time I opened a new resource.

Any chance we will ever be allowed to sort of "mod" the workspace behavior to behave more like GMS1?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Any chance we will ever be allowed to sort of "mod" the workspace behavior to behave more like GMS1?
The workspace system is itself a plugin in the IDE, so the time when we'll be allowed to mod it is when they officially document the IDE plugin API.

Given how slowly YoYo has been moving in that regard, I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

JeffJ

The workspace system is itself a plugin in the IDE, so the time when we'll be allowed to mod it is when they officially document the IDE plugin API.

Given how slowly YoYo has been moving in that regard, I wouldn't hold my breath for it.
That, unfortunately, makes a lot of sense. I bet you're right. That's really a shame.

rIKmAN

Should be default but thanks in any case.
They aren't gonna ship it with the new features turned off by default, that doesn't make any sense.

For those who don't like it, it takes 5 seconds to change the preference to allow overlapping if that's what you prefer.

With regards to the IDE Plugins, I'm not sure it will ever happen, sadly.
YYG said all that was left to do was the documentation back in 2016, so it's either an API to rule them all or they've weighed up the pros / cons and decided it's not a priority.

Last edited: