GameMaker Have you *officially* moved over to GM2 yet?

D

Dreamgate

What do i purpose (re?)sellers do to determine tax liability?
Lol. Yes dog that's why i'm here to rewrite the whole ******* system and protocol for the EU. Jesus.

Have you *officially* moved over to GM2 yet?
States that he had an impulse to do so then explains what blocked the action.Directly related to thread topic.
obj_dreamgate Is suddenly in charge of determining factors which are way above pay grade.

Just leave it. I'm not asking you to sway me your attempts have the opposite effect. I've already found a work around which will keep things private. Which, if you actually wanted to help would be what you and nacho should have been proposing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dog Slobber

Just leave it. I'm not asking you to sway me your attempts have the opposite effect.
I'm not trying to sway you. Why would I care whether you buy it or not?

I don't.

Which, if you actually wanted to help would be what you and nacho should have been proposing.
You didn't come here asking for help purchasing without leaving a footprint. You came here asking why you had to leave an address?

Why would I have proposed some method to purchase Studio without entering your address? You didn't ask for help, and it's simply not something I had considered.

For a digital service that doesn't need to actually send me anything physical I'm apprehensive and don't understand why this would be a requirement.
You asked why you needed to supply your address to purchase a digital service.

I provided two valid reasons:
  1. To reduce fraud as the address is checked against the CC holder's address .
  2. It's a VAT requirement so that VAT can be charged for EU residents, and not charged for non-EU residents.

Yes dog that's why i'm here to rewrite the whole ******* system and protocol for the EU. Jesus.
I didn't ask you to rewrite anything. You don't understand that in order to collect VAT, addresses must be known. If you don't think it's necessary, then what's an alternative?

I certainly don't expect you to write the whole ********** system. I would have been happy if you understood those two simple reasons. Baby steps.

In the future I suggest if you don't want answers, don't come here asking questions. And when people do answer the questions you ask. Don't then interpret their answer as them trying to sway you.

Take off the tinfoil.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Thinking about it. Went to buy the program but Yoyo wants my name and address before proceeding. For a digital service that doesn't need to actually send me anything physical I'm apprehensive and don't understand why this would be a requirement. If they don't accept BTC then they would acquire those details anyway via payment method.
https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/vat-moss-vat-on-sales-of-digital-services-in-the-eu

You can find out all the information about why they are legally required to do so from the above link. Hopefully that ends any further "discussion" on the theme and I don't have to start warning people about their language or treatment of others. ;)

J

Jafman

I'm using 1.4 still. I think I want GMS2 for the sprite tools, but that's about it. The room editor looks kinda useless for projects focused on procedurally generated worlds..?

I am getting serious slowdown from importing too many sprites, which if I read right 1.4 can't help but just add more and more texturepages. If GMS2 has something to solve this, I'm closer to $old.

edit: kinda rather

J

jackhigh24

I've had gms 2 since it was first one sale but I'm still using 1.4 as there is nothing in 2 that's not in 1.4 that i have needed yet, when i do i will use 2

T

Timze

Technically yea (Free version)

Summer sale, where is uo_O

S

Silversea

I've heard too many bad things about the transition. So if I ever do, it'll be after I've finished my current games on GMS1.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

If YoYoGames go out of business soon, it'll probably be due to the terribly worse condition GMS 2 is compared to 1.4 as far as bugs are concerned, and the vast portion of unnecessary changes that were made to the software and GML. They aren't learning from their mistakes, and to top it off they are making a lot of new ones.

"If it ain't broken, don't fix it."

M

Master Summoner

Is GM 1.4 still actively supported? As in, are they still adding major updates other than minor patched and bug fixes? My project is too far along to consider jumping ship.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Is GM 1.4 still actively supported? As in, are they still adding major updates other than minor patched and bug fixes? My project is too far along to consider jumping ship.
GMS1 updates and fixes continue till end of this July. Remains to be stable enough for most projects but if you are going to do new projects in GMS2, you can also check if your 1.4 project happens to import fine into GMS2 - many games only require minor tweaking after automatic import.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Remains to be stable enough for most projects
Is it correct to assume "most" here means "projects that does not rely heavily on external APIs that are built-in in GMS, such as the smartphone ports and in-game ads"?

I can agree that GMS2's GMS1 import seems to be pretty stable from my experiences, at least... things run with worse performance and there's bugs related to depth sorting (because GMS2 seems to have no set order anymore, while GMS1 put the most recent objects at the end of the drawing order if there's a depth conflict) but everything I've tried so far has "just worked" out of the box. And with DirectX being pretty backwards-compatible I guess the biggest thing that could get in the way of GMS1 games' longevity is Windows four-asterisk-ing up the AppData location so you can't save data there anymore. Which would be a bit of an oxymoron, but not really gonna put anything past those guys.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Is it correct to assume "most" here means "projects that does not rely heavily on external APIs that are built-in in GMS, such as the smartphone ports and in-game ads"?
Mobile game development certainly moves quickly - for example, in the period after YYG announcing GMS1 sunset, Google already announced that it will be obligatory to use the newest versions of Android SDK since November 2018 and 64-bit versions of apps will be obligatory since August 2019. So that's a 1-year countdown for anyone doing Android apps to migrate to GMS2. At least they won't be trashing the existing apps like Apple did with 64-bit migration.

T

todd6914

Oh yeah, I need to temporarily paste code into notepad or similar just do basic search/replace operations, simply because it is utterly broken in GMS2. Something as rudimentary as this.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
Oh yeah, I need to temporarily paste code into notepad or similar just do basic search/replace operations, simply because it is utterly broken in GMS2. Something as rudimentary as this.
How is it broken?
I use it fairly often, and haven't had any issues with it in a few months now.

JeffJ

The "find next" or "replace next" and previous buttons are broken. In GMS1 you could place your cursor right before a big number of replacements that you needed and clicking "next" would literally go to the next instance from your cursor position. Doing the same thing in GMS2 will just send you to the very first instance, regardless if that skips several hundred lines back up into the code, completely ignoring your position. Making it utterly useless. This, combined with not being able to ignore comments when searching, has already cost me so much time and focus. Things that I didn't even have to think about in GMS1 because it just worked.

EDIT
It's one thing to have bugs. But, not only are these very, very basic and fundamental IDE things - they have also been reported and well made aware of for a year or so now, and they are still there. I get that they need to prioritize, but when you have more than a handful of the most basic IDE operations not working for a year and you're sunsetting the only other alternative in a month - then you're starting to seriously piss off the consumer base.

Last edited:

Null-Z

I going to after I finish a project I started in GMS1.

I don't want to switch over if I'd have to start it all again.

Sabnock

yes i have an di can't imagine i managed to work in 1.4. so much more able to free flow with my code and game buiding now.

C

coryru

not yet but once i get one game released then i will switch over... hopefully funded by said release

T

tafkatfos

I released my game which was done in 1.4 and then my plan was to move over to 2. Sadly real world work has got in the way so I've not chance to have a proper play for about a year.

I'm going to be doing a work game jam this weekend so I'll be finally jumping in with both feet. Plus it will be a nice crash course into the new IDE.

J

japreja

I had GameMaker 7 Professional since 2008, just upgraded to Studio 2!

F

Falconsoft-Industries

Yeah I have finally moved to Game Maker Studio 2.0 now that I know what to put into my rpg so it can be finished being created and everyone can enjoy it.
I also look forward to making many more great creations with it.

M

Misty

I have GMS2 but I don't use it. I prefer the old school feel of GMS1 and it seems brighter and easier to find what I'm doing. With GMS2 there is usually a pausing trying to figure out how to use the GUI.

The main thing I hate about GMS1 is the lag of the room editor, and random crashing while editing sprites, so I may be forced to use GMS2 eventually if they finally fixed the room lag and sprite memory errors.

D

DeathandGrim

After a bit of early confusion about some of the design changes, I'm getting the hang of it. The new sprite editor is very frustrating to use and I try to avoid it. The new Room editor takes a while to get used to and honestly worked fine before so this change is confusing. I do like having workspaces, that's nice.

Kenshiro

I'm not going to. Hated the interface, GML changes, more intrusive DRM, collecting data of built binaries by default (though it seems you can disable it).
GMS1.4 is way more intuitive to use, and after you set it up, it just works. I certainly wish there was a better version, but after tinkering around a bit, GMS2 definitely isn't that version. If the day comes that GMS1.4 doesn't work anymore, it'll be time to switch to a new engine.

Last edited:
M

Misty

I'm not going to. Hated the interface, GML changes, more intrusive DRM, collecting data of built binaries by default (though it seems you can disable it).
GMS1.4 is way more intuitive to use, and after you set it up, it just works. I certainly wish there was a better version, but after tinkering around a bit, GMS2 definitely isn't that version. If the day comes that GMS1.4 doesn't work anymore, it'll be time to switch to a new engine.
Same here. I want to use gm3 but if it is the same as gm2 im not buying, unless they make it of course backwards compatible with 1.4.

So I have since bought GM2 since my earlier post a year ago, and my is it dissapointing. The room editor is laggier than before and the whole IDE is too laggy to use. I also shy away from the new sprite editor too, and instead of convenient code windows I have to scroll all over a gigantic world map to edit different code windows.

Dirty_Digs

The interface is great, the enhancements to graphics capabilities is great (for most), the whole build is great BUT...

The network requirements are a deal breaker, kills the program for some users I would think.

Not too many programmers want to rely on 3rd party networks all the time to work efficiently.

Sammi3

Recently moved over. No regrets. The GUI needs a little bit of help and the implementation of git source control is absolutely terrible but the new features in the engine (Layers, array literals, etc) have made development so much more professional that I struggle going back to GMS1 games. Coming from a C# background. Also, the tool itself just looks great to use. So many of my non programmer friends used to think GMS1 was ugly. When they saw me working on GMS2 they thought it was an entirely new game engine..

D

DeathandGrim

The interface is great, the enhancements to graphics capabilities is great (for most), the whole build is great BUT...

The network requirements are a deal breaker, kills the program for some users I would think.

Not too many programmers want to rely on 3rd party networks all the time to work efficiently.
Ooooh, I forgot about the network requirements. Yea I was just randomly barred out from using the program for like 5 days because of a random "error" during my login a while back. I uninstalled and reinstalled and it didn't fix it. It wasn't until the next update that it started acting correctly.

C

chaslinux

How many people have made the jump and committed to game maker 2, using it on a day to day basis for proper projects?

I've bought it, but I haven't made anything serious with it. GM 1.4 is just too familiar still.
I bought the Windows/Linux/Mac OS X GMS 2.x license, but I've been using GMS 1.4 exclusively to this point. At this point I prefer the UI of 1.4 (but I'm still very green to all of GMS). One of the reasons I've stuck with 1.4 is the amount of documentation/videos. There's something covering almost every topic (Steam, Android, writing ini files, etc.). GMS 2.x is getting there, there's a lot of independent content being created by the community, but what's actually included/downloadable in GMS 2.x seems to be far less rich.

Just my opinion as a new/green user.

MissingNo.

So I have since bought GM2 since my earlier post a year ago, and my is it dissapointing.
Well I imagine using a tool from the early 2000's to be a bit disappointing compared to today's standards. Perhaps consider upgrading to GMS or GMS2.:p

In all seriousness I have completely moved over. The UI is so butter smooth, testing a game is a lot quicker now and the added features are great.

I just miss the check references functionality, they really need to bring that back.

T

TylerMcDe

The conversion went well, but changing the code is an on-going process. All those extra scripts aren't my jam.

Rob

I haven't used 1.4 for a while now and I don't even think about it. The only things I miss are some of the sprite editor functions from 1.4.

I didn't like having large blocks of code, but now that I use regions it's not bad.

B

BearlyBros

I like features from both so it really depends on my mood and the type of game. If I did have to pick one to stick with though, it'd be 1.4 though

J

Josh Arnold

I used game maker 8 a long time ago when it was the best one out. I stopped making games for a good while, I decided to pick it up again recently and moved to Studio 2! It has definitely come a long way.. I cant compare GMS1 though since I've never used it. Would recommend using 2 though!

David Batty

I just click on GMS2 now, I forget about 1.4, but occasionally I return to a project that is still in 1.4, and instantly miss GMS2 when I run 1.4.

W

WWAZman

I'm just about to purchase it after a 3 year hiatus... but I'm trying to figure out if mobile version INCLUDES desktop support or not?

Mick

I'm just about to purchase it after a 3 year hiatus... but I'm trying to figure out if mobile version INCLUDES desktop support or not?
As far as I know, you can test the game on desktop with the mobile version, but you can't build for desktop.

W

WWAZman

As far as I know, you can test the game on desktop with the mobile version, but you can't build for desktop.
I was unable to do so. I presume my trial had expired, I imported a project by hand, nothing worked,.. then I tried a simple page and all I got was a black screen.. I knew something was up. Then I actually purchased it and officially imported the project, and I can at least test in windows now.

3 problems now:
It's not finding the jdk 10,
adb isn't working in windows 10
I need to find someone who can convert pc projects to iOs format for me. I'll settle for the first two.

G

Geoff Moore

I jumped a few weeks ago and haven't regretted it once. Finding it much quicker and more intuitive to use, and the room editor is perfect for my needs now.

R

RandNR

Still using 1.4+ version, I'll definitely explore GM2 once i finish my 2 current projects :)

Eyas

The code editor does feel like a great improvement over the older versions, but I find myself missing most features of newer editors. I wish I could use a Monaco-based editor instead.

B

bumpercarstudios

We started with GMS2, so I can't comment on previous versions, but compared to other engines we've tried, we're having a blast with GMS2 and have little to complain about. (We tried a handful of other, 2D specific engines, along with Unity)