GameMaker Have you *officially* moved over to GM2 yet?

T

Thunder Lion

Ahh.
Did not know that.
EA sound like Early access, the latest stuff, dare you try our new features.
Beta sound like the one after EA.
EA (latest latest)
Beta (official latest)
Stable (official stable)
How do i use beta features?

F

Flappy Dappy Games

I have not, although I do own it and would like to, unfortunately there is a weird issue where shaders don't work for me on GMS2 only on GMS1.4. I did file a bug report but they were unable to resolve the issue (although they did mark it as resolved lol) and it left me on an island with GMS1.4 until I can get a new computer.

J

jr88atzbach

I don't know why they made their own window interface rather then using the OS one.

Lolligirl

Europe Travel Girl
I definitely intend to switch more, but currently I'm still more comfortable with the original GMS. I do program, but I'm more of a designer and artist, so the main parts that I'm focusing on are using the tile system and making sure my stuff is compatible for any programmer I work with to dip it into the game immediately.

S

scoble756

Yeah, do not trust another different strategy that doesn't follow my workflow. So, meanwhile they still let us to add code as external files, I'm OK using my workflow that is as simple as adding files to branches!!

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I don't think I'm going to move on to GMS2 until after the Windows export is no longer working in the latest Windows version to be honest. It's the only platform I even care about anymore. Mac and Linux has such a small percentage of global users. I've met a lot of people who have Mac, but that is only because all of my, my parents, and my sister's friends are all rich for the most part.

L

Lonewolff

Pretty much the same here. 1.4 is still my go to at this point in time. Just so much faster to get things up and running in it.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Plus I really don't like how GMS2 over-complicates strings. I feel like they did that because it makes things easier for writing new platforms or something, (I really don't know why actually), though it makes it more difficult for the programming on our end.

For instance, this is easy:
Code:
@'your string is "awesome"'
...but I still haven't figured out how to use double quotes, (or at least when I need quotes inside double quotes anyway). The solution makes your code and strings hard to read. I followed the docs and it was just too much of a weird change for it to really be a good thing IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

AnomalousArcane

Came back to Game Maker a few months back after a go with Unity. Worked with 1.4 quite a bit before that. I'd say GMS2 has been my favorite so far, as well as the most efficient.

G

Guest User

...but I still haven't figured out how to use double quotes
you have to use escape characters, but perhaps you could make a little thing using string_replace_all() or something to get closer to GMS1.4? not sure how fast it'd be tho :s
Code:
parse_string("^The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.^#-Thomas Jefferson");
Code:
@function parse_string
    string_replace_all(argument[0], "^", "\"");
    string_replace_all(argument[0], "#", "\n");

A

Akai

I will, after finishing this game, I have worked on it for 3 months. I know we can import and transfer everything to GMS2 but I don't want to take risk, at least at the moment. Besides, I see that they replaced existing features with some new unfamiliar ones instead of adding new features. So don't know, we'll see.

A

APSep

Got 1.4 Pro from Humble Bundle, but i did miss the Sale in the Beta for 2.0 so im sitting on 1.4 still currently will upgrade one day when the space for it is there ^^

G

Guest User

How many people have made the jump and committed to game maker 2, using it on a day to day basis for proper projects?

I've bought it, but I haven't made anything serious with it. GM 1.4 is just too familiar still.
Nope, I'm still on 1.4 and I'm really unsure about buying 2.0 as there are things I dislike about it

1: The new 'workspace' just utterly sucks on a 1080p monitor, its very cumbersome and cluttered, in this respect 1.4 is way better
2: I dislike the fact you cannot create a single windows .exe file anymore. (I know that's no issue to most, but it bugs me. the reason I jumped from Construct 2 to GMS was because I could compile to a single exe and not a folder full of dll files and other crap)

H

Hrishi

I started off with GMS2 so earlier gamemaker versions feel ancient to me. When I see the tutorials in the older versions, the interface feels a lot less polished. I wish GMS2 were a bit cheaper though.

S

Swooshter

Installed and messed around with it, but still on the trial version. Using my old GMS: Professional license at the moment though.

rIKmAN

Pretty much the same here. 1.4 is still my go to at this point in time. Just so much faster to get things up and running in it.
I have to disagree with this - 1.4 is just so cumbersome to deal with and I can't see what would be faster to get going in it.
I do realise it's each to their own though and depends what you are doing - plus some users are much more ingrained into the 1.4 workflow than I was before I moved to GMS2.

The change is good - embrace it you old fuddy duddy! :D

L

Lonewolff

I have to disagree with this - 1.4 is just so cumbersome to deal with and I can't see what would be faster to get going in it.
I do realise it's each to their own though and depends what you are doing - plus some users are much more ingrained into the 1.4 workflow than I was before I moved to GMS2.

The change is good - embrace it you old fuddy duddy! :D
Probably just my workflow. I have never used the room editor in my life, and from my understanding this is where all the improvements went.

Look at how many steps are involved just to put a single object into a room in GMS2.

Then see how long it takes you to set room_speed. Actually, I haven't even found that yet in GMS2, I have had to do that in code.

Then try opening up code from ten different events and see if you have any screen 'real estate' left.

The IDE is like a blonde bimbo. Looks good at first glance, but you soon realise it doesn't make wuch sense. :p

rIKmAN

Look at how many steps are involved just to put a single object into a room in GMS2.
Two - create the object and drag it onto an instance layer from the resource tree.
Then see how long it takes you to set room_speed. Actually, I haven't even found that yet in GMS2, I have had to do that in code.
Options > Main in the resource tree, then fill in the fps you want in the "game frames per second" box - or like you say you can also do it in code.
Then try opening up code from ten different events and see if you have any screen 'real estate' left.
This doesn't really affect me as I don't try and scroll around the workspace manually.
I either double click items from the resource tree and it auto scrolls to them for me, or if I can't find it within a few seconds in the resource tree I use CTRL+T, type the name and get taken to it.
I also use the "Recent Windows" window to switch between the last 10 open items if I can, which I have docked below the resource tree.

I feel like people that are manually scrolling around the workspace are doing it wrong, but the methods of navigation I mentioned above are no worse than having windows on top of each other and having to click through to get to the right one.

I've been working on my FPS since 6.1 was the latest, so I'm very used to the way versions from then until 1.4 function, even if many aspects aren't necessarily ideal for smooth development. I won't be moving onto GMS2 until my game is practically complete and ready for the console ports to begin development. The switch will be more time-consuming than difficult (the menus will be more challenging than the actual gameplay) but the process will be annoying enough that I am not ready to do so now. While there are many changes and additions that my engine could take advantage of, the millions of lines of code I've written are so ingrained in the way I learned to code in GM7 that they don't even use many of the benefits 1.4 brought over the years, besides the almighty new resource category, of course.

L

Lonewolff

But that's just it, you don't have to manually scroll around the workspace in GMS1. It is right there in front of you at all times.

rIKmAN

You do still have to scroll, though. As messy as the overlapping windows are in GM1.4, they don't do anything weird. They're always where you put them
What do you mean by "scroll"?
You don't have to scroll / pan around the workspace like madman if you don't want to.

JackTurbo

Fully switched over. Was holding out for a while...

Also while I agree that the whole panning about workspaces is awful and a bizarre idea, the others are right, you really don't have to do it.

I spend pretty much all my time in gms with the code window maximised and lots of code tabs docked in it. Combine this with code folding and you've got a much easier faster workflow for code centric users than in gms1.4 imho

GMWolf

aka fel666
Yeah even if the new workspace was better than in 1.4 (im undecided), its no match for a tabbed system.
When editing code i always use fullscreen tabs (i should really start using GMEdit for realz). Too bad you cant edit all reasources that way.

hogwater

But that's just it, you don't have to manually scroll around the workspace in GMS1. It is right there in front of you at all times.
Switch your code editors to open full screen, and the events will appear as tabs you can swap between. You can easily open the create, step and draw (and any others you want) and work on them all at once.

As for navigating around the workspace, hold ctrl and tap tab. You'll have a menu of all open resources; clicking one takes you to it, or you can click the "x" to close it from there.

Trust me, you can work SO much faster in GMS2 if you take a moment to set up the interface and learn a few things.

D

DeathandGrim

I switched over and appreciate all the new functions and tools... except the image editor. I just use Gimp.

The Workspaces are my favorite addition. I have a much easier time organizing my workflow and quickly getting to what I want to get to

JeffJ

I've been trying to force myself to solely use GMS2 for the past month now. The only reason I am doing this is because I am targeting consoles, and with their rapid SDK changes, I will need the continued runtime update support. But if I'm being perfectly honest, I don't feel like I am getting any sort of upgrade in any way. I'm not gaining a single thing that GMS1 didn't already offer me. In return, I had to pay for new license, get used to a new workflow, and spend many, many hours getting 1.4 code to work in GMS2. So a good chunk of money and lots of time for... Well, what?

So far there are around two things I like about GMS2:

1: Code folding
2: Ctrl+T

And then there's dozens of things I absolutely loathe. Here's a few:

1: Can no longer do "Ignore comments" when searching through a project - something I used a lot. Lost functionality. Objectively worse workflow.

2: Search&Replace in code editor is utterly broken and buggy to the point where I'm actually doing this manually. This has actually cost me tangible time. Objectively worse workflow.

3: Can no longer right click a resource and do "Check references" like in GMS1 - again, something I actually frequently used in GMS1. Lost functionality. Objectively worse workflow.

4: Can no longer import multiple resources when choosing "add existing" as in GMS1 - this has also cost me significant time. Lost functionality. Objectively worse workflow.

5: Can no longer quickly delete an instance from room editor by simply holding a modifier key and clicking like in GMS1 - instead you have to actually select one or more instances (by for example holding ctrl and then clickselecting each instance) and then press Delete to delete them - forcing your hand off the mouse. Absolutely horrible for ergonomics and general workflow.

6: Can no longer scroll from cursor position in code editor by doing ctrl+arrow up/down. Have to scroll with mouse or move cursor all the way to top/bottom with arrows. This has actually made me lose focus on several occasions where it would not have in GMS1.

7: Searching to highlight things in documentation (Ctrl+F) is horrible; even if there are results they won't be highlighted because they're hidden away in folds, and there is no "expand all" feature. I can look up things in GMS1 docs much, much faster. Objectively worse workflow.

8: Default skin has absolutely zero contrast - select a resource in the resource tree and press F2 for renaming to see what I mean. I literally can't see whether the text is highlighted unless I squint really close to the screen. Say what you will about the looks of GMS1, but it wasn't hard to tell basic things like this.

9: I hate the way the code editor highlights the currently selected argument. In GMS1 it was the only argument out of all of them that was actually highlighted, with all other arguments being kinda "greyed out". In GMS2, it just highlights every single argument up to and including the cursor position, making it hard to identify the current argument at a quick glanse like it was in GMS1.

10: Code editor no longer displays total line numbers in the bottom unless you've actively focused on it. A small but noticeable thing, especially as a heavy multi monitor user - why is this gone from GMS1?

11: The sprite editor... Ugh, this could fill up an entire list all on its own. Things that took 2 seconds in GMS1 now takes 30.

12: The "Find and replace" window in code editor is bolted to a certain position off to the far side and can't be moved, so if your code window is big and zoomed in and you press Ctrl+F it throws you off to the far side where the window spawns. Let me move it and save its position so it spawns close enough to where I'm working without having to throw the camera!

And these are just some of the things I've remembered to write down. These are things that are bothering me on a daily basis, to a point where GMS1 was objectively better in at least these areas. The worst part is, I'm not feeling like this is an upgrade in any way. The only thing I'd truly miss by going back to GMS1 is code folding. I don't have a choice, obviously, because I need runtime update support for consoles, mobiles etc.. And the money is not an issue, I want to support continued development, and the last time I gave YoYo big money before buying GMS2 was way back in 2011, so that's fair. But... As a consumer, other than the continued support, I really don't feel like there is a single thing that is better or that GMS1 didn't already give me. I'm really, really trying to look here, but... Eh. A little disappointed, to be honest.

In the end, I feel that all I've really bought is continued support for external platforms. In that case, I would have actually preferred an option to pay to continue using GMS1 with nothing but platform support.

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
1: Can no longer do "Ignore comments" when searching through a project - something I used a lot. Lost functionality. Objectively worse workflow.

2: Search&Replace in code editor is utterly broken and buggy to the point where I'm actually doing this manually. This has actually cost me tangible time. Objectively worse workflow.

3: Can no longer right click a resource and do "Check references" like in GMS1 - again, something I actually frequently used in GMS1. Lost functionality. Objectively worse workflow.

4: Can no longer import multiple resources when choosing "add existing" as in GMS1 - this has also cost me significant time. Lost functionality. Objectively worse workflow.

5: Can no longer quickly delete an instance from room editor by simply holding a modifier key and clicking like in GMS1 - instead you have to actually select one or more instances (by for example holding ctrl and then clickselecting each instance) and then press Delete to delete them - forcing your hand off the mouse. Absolutely horrible for ergonomics and general workflow.

6: Can no longer scroll from cursor position in code editor by doing ctrl+arrow up/down. Have to scroll with mouse or move cursor all the way to top/bottom with arrows. This has actually made me lose focus on several occasions where it would not have in GMS1.
Okay, I'm pretty sure that ALL these things will be addressed in coming updates, as I've seen bug reports for them and you're not the only one to bring them up.

7: Searching to highlight things in documentation (Ctrl+F) is horrible; even if there are results they won't be highlighted because they're hidden away in folds, and there is no "expand all" feature. I can look up things in GMS1 docs much, much faster. Objectively worse workflow.
This was an unforeseen issue on my part when setting up the docs and I apologise. The brief for the docs was to have more information in one place, as the previous manual had stuff scattered about everywhere, but loading a apage and seeing a massive wall of text was a bit daunting, hence the folding labelled regions. I'll be looking at ways we can resolve this in the future...

8: Default skin has absolutely zero contrast - select a resource in the resource tree and press F2 for renaming to see what I mean. I literally can't see whether the text is highlighted unless I squint really close to the screen. Say what you will about the looks of GMS1, but it wasn't hard to tell basic things like this.

9: I hate the way the code editor highlights the currently selected argument. In GMS1 it was the only argument out of all of them that was actually highlighted, with all other arguments being kinda "greyed out". In GMS2, it just highlights every single argument up to and including the cursor position, making it hard to identify the current argument at a quick glanse like it was in GMS1.

10: Code editor no longer displays total line numbers in the bottom unless you've actively focused on it. A small but noticeable thing, especially as a heavy multi monitor user - why is this gone from GMS1?
12: The "Find and replace" window in code editor is bolted to a certain position off to the far side and can't be moved, so if your code window is big and zoomed in and you press Ctrl+F it throws you off to the far side where the window spawns. Let me move it and save its position so it spawns close enough to where I'm working without having to throw the camera!
These are all valid points and I'd ask you to file a bug report for each of them.

JeffJ

Okay, I'm pretty sure that ALL these things will be addressed in coming updates, as I've seen bug reports for them and you're not the only one to bring them up.
That sounds good - it would definitely help.

But that's just the thing. Even if all the things on that sizeable list was fixed this instant - I'd still not feel like I'd have an actual upgrade in my hands. Then, in the very best case with none of the above mentioned issues present, I'd feel like I just had something different. Not better, just different. That's a lot of time and money for... Well... Something different.

EDIT
Oh yeah, and even then, I'd still be worse off with GMS2 than with GMS1 simply due to the fact that I already had Xbox One module for GMS1 - which was free and I could test, deploy and publish to my hearts desire. This will no longer be the case with GMS2, even though I already have the module in GMS1. And since I can not purchase the module separately from the support, it will be a considerable - not to mention recurring expense. Simply because module and "premium support" is sold as one.

Again... I struggle to find one area where I'm objectively better off with GMS2. Maybe to a degree the room editor, but even then, it's not really much better, it's just different (better in some areas, worse in others - maybe it evens out). And that's one thing.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Yeah I'm still not a fan of the GMS2 IDE.
It's why I'm asking yellow afterlife is working on GMEdit.

However GMS2's GML is much nicer to use. If not just for array literals.

Last edited:

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
EDIT
Oh yeah, and even then, I'd still be worse off with GMS2 than with GMS1 simply due to the fact that I already had Xbox One module for GMS1 - which was free and I could test, deploy and publish to my hearts desire. This will no longer be the case with GMS2, even though I already have the module in GMS1. And since I can not purchase the module separately from the support, it will be a considerable - not to mention recurring expense. Simply because module and "premium support" is sold as one.
Here we go again..... You have been told over and over that the console modules in GMS1 were not free, they never were. They - and the support that we provided, were paid for by the platform holders. This is no longer the case. Whether you like it or not, console support was a full time job, and someone had to do it, and someone had to pay for it. Since the platform holders were no longer going to do so, it has to be passed on. This is not open to debate, you may not like it, but this is the only way supporting consoles (both creating exports, and helping developers) can commercially work.

Any further post about this - which we have explained at length over and over again, will be removed. Frankly, I'm tired of giving the same answers to the same people.

rIKmAN

EDIT

Again... I struggle to find one area where I'm objectively better off with GMS2. Maybe to a degree the room editor, but even then, it's not really much better, it's just different (better in some areas, worse in others - maybe it evens out). And that's one thing.
Mike just explained it, but even if GMS2 didn't exist - due to MS / Sony not funding the modules anymore you would now have to pay for the modules on 1.4 too.

Can't agree with you on the room editor as it's lightyears ahead of the clunky mess that was in 1.4 - I can't get my head around anyone preferring the 1.4 room editor, sorry.

Most of your other points I can agree with except the highlighting of arguments (#8) - the argument you are currently on is the last one that is highlighted (from the start), which I don't personally don't find any harder to read or understand than having the current argument as the only one lit up - but I guess that being an annoyance is a personal preference kinda thing.

F

FormalCloud

I 'officially' moved over to GMS2 at the beginning of the year. While I agree there is a lot of work to do to improve the experience that should all come in a matter of time. The Roadmap for '18 is basically nothing but improvements and stabilization so I am happy and faithful to see where they go.

Workspaces and tabs give me full control over what I want to see and while I understand that it's an adjustment - switching to new software means new workflow.

That said, I want those new inline GML functions and data-types like.. yesterday. I really hope we don't have to wait a full year for some of those.

Dr. Wolf

I've tried, a few more times, to get used to GMS2, and the IDE is still not doing it for me. I think the root of the issue is that concepts like columns, tabs, and workspaces all place too much restriction on where code is located on the screen and how it is overlapped with other elements compared to windows, even when all the settings are set to the most permissive options possible, and, when used with a purely window-based workflow, GMS2 is relatively awkward compared to GMS1.

A couple of options could make GMS2 much more usable for users who prefer purely window-based workflows:

1) In GMS2, there's a setting that lets you open scripts or events in a new tab, which you can then drag free to make a window. The workflow would be accelerated-- and a relatively wrist-intensive task removed-- if there were an option that, when enabled, would automate the second part of this process, and open the code directly in a new window.

2) In GMS2, if you have several windows open, and you open a new window by the procedure described above, in the process, the base level of the IDE will be moved above the windows you have open. In order to restore one's stack of other windows to the screen (in my case, they'll have been stacked and sized and partially overlapped just so, in a way that probably just looks like a mess to others, but is exactly how I want it to be), one must go down to the taskbar and rescue each of the existing windows, in just the right order. The workflow would be improved if there were an option to open new windows (or tabs, or whatever else) without bringing the home window to the front.

Also-- and this is a much more minor thing-- although I work mainly in code, I've experimented a bit with the DnD mode in GMS2, mainly to see if it was at all friendly to the way I'd work in GMS1 (i.e. 99.9% code, but with the occasional DnD block, just to save on typing). Long story short, it wasn't. I think that things could be much improved for two kinds of users-- users who want the option to occasionally mix in a little DnD while working primarily in code, and users who started in DnD and don't like the usual route of switching to pure GML as they become more advanced and begin to use large pieces of code-- if the handling of DnD blocks, especially the "execute code" block, permitted the various non-workspace options allowed when working in pure code. It should be possible to pop out the content of a particular block into its own full tab or window (the latter, ideally, supporting the improvements discussed above), instead of being forced to work within a sub-area of the window or tab for the event.

T

thaaks

I already moved over to GMS2 last year, mainly because of the new code editor and the room editor and layers.
The workspace is not my cup of tea at all - but with Crtl-T I'm getting along and closing all windows once in a while helps too ;-)
On one hand I miss some features in the Image Editor but on the other hand there are many helpful new features in Sprite and Image Editor...

What currently annoys me the most is the missing support for personal asset libraries. I have quite some GM1.4 assets that I moved over to GMS2 or that I bought and modified heavily. Getting those assets/extensions/bunch of code/objects/sprites into a new GMS2 project is just a pain in the a**. If the project structure would be more simple and straightforward one could just copy a bunch of files into their appropriate folders but alas - that's not possible. Importing multiple files at once - also not possible. And honestly I just don't want to create assets from my private stuff, upload it as private assets to the Marketplace to use it in my games! This is so awkward and cumbersome!

Just like @FormalCloud I'm looking forward to some enhancements like personal asset libraries (ha!), data structures and lightweight objects, game language support, the enhanced tilemap generation support and the new particle stuff.
And I do hope that much time is spent into fixing bugs and finishing up the IDE.
A look at the features of @YellowAfterlife's GMEdit (https://yellowafterlife.itch.io/gmedit) would also be smart for the YoYo chaps - tons of stuff to get inspiration from and make coders happy ;-)

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
1) In GMS2, there's a setting that lets you open scripts or events in a new tab, which you can then drag free to make a window. The workflow would be accelerated-- and a relatively wrist-intensive task removed-- if there were an option that, when enabled, would automate the second part of this process, and open the code directly in a new window.
Might want to check the Preferences... ;) http://docs2.yoyogames.com/index.ht...ing_started/preferences/prefs_texteditor.html

What currently annoys me the most is the missing support for personal asset libraries. I have quite some GM1.4 assets that I moved over to GMS2 or that I bought and modified heavily. Getting those assets/extensions/bunch of code/objects/sprites into a new GMS2 project is just a pain in the a**. If the project structure would be more simple and straightforward one could just copy a bunch of files into their appropriate folders but alas - that's not possible. Importing multiple files at once - also not possible. And honestly I just don't want to create assets from my private stuff, upload it as private assets to the Marketplace to use it in my games! This is so awkward and cumbersome!
Importing multiple files at once will be coming in an update, and I believe (but could be wrong!) that personal asset libraries will be added sometime in the future too (or at least an easier way to create/use the GMEZ format for personal use).

Dr. Wolf

GMWolf

aka fel666
This really needs to be prioritised...
No no no. GML really needs to be prioritized.
Unless Yyg want to keep making the list of built in functions larger, they will want the community to do so.
Right now, GMLs design makes it hard for libraries to play of each other. Building your own library on top of another isn't easy.

L

Lonewolff

No no no. GML really needs to be prioritized.
Unless Yyg want to keep making the list of built in functions larger, they will want the community to do so.
Right now, GMLs design makes it hard for libraries to play of each other. Building your own library on top of another isn't easy.
Really? I've never experience a problem with this.

I'd much rather see support for personal libraries. Much like the MP, where yo can pick and choose what you are importing.

Field Magic

I did eventually upgrade to 2 when I saw the room editor. For the most part I prefer GMS2 and enjoy it. However, I still use Gamemaker Studio to prepare my animations and sprites because for some reason you can't import a frame into an animation sequence in GMS2, which I do all the time lol

F

FormalCloud

I know it's not 'ideal' but I just keep a folder of .gml scripts that I drag and drop into my game and that's pretty much all my basics. I use a pre-made save file that has my basic system/loop/draw system setup so I can just add what I need as I ago. It works and it takes like 3 seconds.

If I had to throw my hat in this ring I would say my personal wishlist is the new GML functions because workflow is constantly changing/adjusting to software changes anyway but new GML functions/datatypes change the way I code and in some of my projects would be amazing. (This of course outside the stabilization they are already hard at work on)

Whatever YYG is doing though, they've got their roadmap for their reasons and without being behind the scenes it's difficult to really know what is 'best' for GMS2 at the moment, even though we all have our own desires we would love fulfilled.

T

thaaks

I know it's not 'ideal' but I just keep a folder of .gml scripts that I drag and drop into my game and that's pretty much all my basics. I use a pre-made save file that has my basic system/loop/draw system setup so I can just add what I need as I ago. It works and it takes like 3 seconds.
I think mileage varies for every user here. Especially when you want to have and support several pre-made save files for different environments (HTML5 vs. Mobile). Or when you add a Marketplace asset to your game because it helps you, you modify that asset to fit your needs even more and now you want to get that modified asset into one of your base save files. Bad luck...
But I do understand that my issue might not be an issue for many...
Whatever YYG is doing though, they've got their roadmap for their reasons and without being behind the scenes it's difficult to really know what is 'best' for GMS2 at the moment, even though we all have our own desires we would love fulfilled.
Agreed. Let's hope they can add and fix as much stuff from their roadmap as possible. At least many topics on their roadmap seem to be on our personal wishlists - it's just the order and combination that's different ;)

kupo15

I like GMS2 better overall even though I agree with a lot of bad UX points mentioned. I love the tabs for example! I really wish the compile window wouldn't pop up all the time! I constantly have to pop it away after testing so I can get more screen to work with

F

FormalCloud

I think mileage varies for every user here. Especially when you want to have and support several pre-made save files for different environments (HTML5 vs. Mobile).
I find this curious as I always felt it defeats the purpose of a single code base for multi-exports, no? Do you find it tedious to work on code on one project only to copy over to another branch and modify?

Perhaps I am doing it 'wrong' (To each their own of course) but I use GML's platform detection to make those adjustments based on the target platform (and this code base is great so it's usually not much) which usually turns out to be a few extra lines for compatibility vs duplicated branches of the same game. This way I only have to worry about one save file and one set to manage.