1. Hey! Guest! The 33rd GMC Jam will take place between May 23rd, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon) and May 27th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

GMS 2 Have you *officially* moved over to GM2 yet?

Discussion in 'Community Chat' started by andev, Dec 1, 2017.

1. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Member

1 year since I bought 1 year subscribe license. Used it about 10 days. I had to rethink all in my games because of changed GMLanguage. When a new version is here it usually happens that all games should be re-written because they can not work. I am tired to do this because of that or because I must rewrite the code (mess) or some bug occured.
    I cant get comfortable with the interface, sad there is not a choise to work in classic mode.
    Another bad point is that is requires to update at starting, if I say no, it closes. I feel it somehow like windows 10 and I am tired of update assistant, messages, skype update... Before I start doing anything I must close a bunch of messages and windows and GM2 is going the same way.
    Upgrading to the last version in anykind of software is the worst think one can do if it is a big project. This may ruin everything because of being incompatible, unexpected bugs - and wait, we will fix it.... eventually...later... but you can not revert to the old version, because it can not open the project :p
    And it is an illusion that having the last version is the best choises. Most people with modern tools can not achieve things made in 80s or 90s with much primitive software. Using Photoshop 2019 doesnt make anyone better than a master who is using v. 6 for example. But makes someone richer.

sitebender, Cloudy and 00.Archer like this.
  2. greyzeb

greyzeb Member

Still using 1.4 for my main project. I tried GMS2 once and seems to be a bit buggy although the display is good. Not ready to switch now.

sitebender likes this.
  3. Misty

Misty Member

Same. Also have always been a fan of zebras. Maybe we were meant to see eye to eye.

The other game engines seem horrible to use so of course GM2 is better, that's like comparing it to rock bottom. Overall Gm1.4 is better than Gm2 except GM1.4 is has a horrible room editor. Gm1.4's sprite editor is primitive but useable, gm2's sprite editor is advanced and unusable for me. I can use gimp and photoshop just fine and it should have been made more like that, those are like the industry standard.

So i build my project in gm1.4 and put it in gm2 later, gm2 is useable enough for it to be not too much of a hassle usually.

4. Silas the Dev

Silas the Dev Member

I started out with ( and still use ) Game maker studio 2. I have heard it is worse in some was such as number of tutorials and occasional corruption, but it’s good.

5. CE Studios

CE Studios Member

Testing out GMS 2 during GMC Jam 32 and I have to say, the room editor is WAY better and I LOVE the layer system. It's all still possible in GM:S 1.4, but I actually prefer the layout of GMS 2. However, the $99 bucks is a tad steep for a college student like me, so I'm stuck with GM:S 1.4 after the 28th when the temporary GMC Jam license expires. If it ever goes to Humble Bundle like GM:S 1.4 did, then I'll be sure to get it and make the switch, but until then, I am happy with GM:S 1.4.

6. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

If it helps, you can get a 12mth Creators Licence which runs on and allows export to Windows or Mac (not both) for $39.
    If you update to the full $99 Desktop Licence during those 12mths then you get the cost of Creators deducted from the price so you don't lose anything going that route.

There are also regular discounts on most licences (including Creators) usually from 20% - 50% off, so keep an eye on YYG Twitter or sign up for the newsletter.

RichHopefulComposer likes this.
  7. BraydeeJohnson

BraydeeJohnson Member

I just recently came back to GM, so my GM:S 1.4 license (got from a bundle) sat and did nothing. I'm on GMS2 now and I like it, I feel like there are still quite a few things missing that I remember having access to, especially when it comes to image tools. Other than those minor issues, I'm a big fan of the way everything feels now. I feel like this is a huge jump in the right direction.

8. TheMiningBoyAlpha

TheMiningBoyAlpha Member

9. Cloudy

Cloudy Member

I did... from Gamemaker 8.1. I used it in my classroom at a primary school. After switching to GMS2 it looked promising but was spending far too much time working through bugs. On the upside the students were developing their skills in patience and persistence which was great. I did prefer the simple layout of the former platform for educational usage and reaching desired outcomes.

10. jackquake

jackquake Member

I'm in! Love it!

11. JeffJ

JeffJ Member

So... More than a year later, and approximately 2 out of 12 items in this post has been fixed.

https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...oved-over-to-gm2-yet.38689/page-3#post-269035

Still no ignoring comments, still no multiple asset import, still no local package import without MP, still no "check references", and so many more completely rudimentary IDE things that are just a daily pain to work with compared to GMS1. At this point I seriously doubt if they will ever get fixed.

12. Rob

Rob Member

I miss some of the image tools too. Gradients, rounded rectangles, all the transform and animation stuff... Suits me better than GM2's editor.

I usually just use GM2nto make and edit things but very rarely I still load up 1.4 just to use the image editor.

13. Sabnock

Sabnock Member

This, and many others

been using since the beta, never looked back at 1.4

14. NetZvezda

NetZvezda Member

I switched over at the very beginning. There was a sale going on and I just couldn't miss out on the opportunity. However I only have one game out at the moment, so the cost isn't justified yet. Oh well, baby steps I guess.

PS: With the release of Godot, I am not sure the cost is justifiable anymore.

15. Arestris

Arestris Member

Hello!
    I bought 1.4 long ago in a Humblebundle, but never really used it. Right now I try to find out, if I want to start over with 1.4, what I already own, or if I buy version 2 (especially since it's 20% of right now on Humble Store for two more days) . (Or if I go with some completely other solution ... but that's no topic for in here). I'm really unsure, if I really do something with it, it would be 100% personal thing ... so I'm still unsure, if I really want spent money right now.

But 2.0 is still the main version and will surly stay for some time? Would be stupid, buying 2.0, if they announce in three months or so a new version!

16. AncientPaul

AncientPaul Member

I've been using gms1.4 for about two years and recently I found gms2 on sale on a certain site and I grabbed it, sadly I dislike it, purely the new UI, I think its terrible and I'm finding myself wanting to go back to 1.4 as I really don't get on with gms2.

17. Azure Knight

Azure Knight Member

I had a bit of a tough time moving over from GMS 1.4 to GMS 2 since I was accustomed to literally everything in GMS 1.4. What finally ended Gms 1.4 for me was when I was saving and then it said "not responding" and the engine crashed. So far with GMS 2 this has only happened once and I'm very much satisfied with it. However if you use Ctrl+I when loading images it MIGHT crash on you. So, as a precaution i always save before and after loading images!

18. Dan_Bardan

Dan_Bardan Member

I have both, I bought the GMS2 when the trial key ended, because it was nice experience and I see more of program features, but still, I have not yet gotten used to the new layout.
    But unfortunately I can't migrate to GMS2 yet. I can't buy the modules since my resources is very limitaded. I can only hope that my future games make some revenue. The GMS1 was more cheaper.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  19. Andrew R. C. Beck

Andrew R. C. Beck Member

I have the GMS2 Desktop license but I am finding it is more intimidating than I thought as I too prefer the comfort of familiarity with GMS1.4 :)

20. Andrey

Andrey Member

I immediately switched to GMS2 right after the release and use it daily. 1.4 deleted.
    I use GMS2 for mobile development, so support for new features is essential.

21. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer Member

Similar to @Andrey, I purchased it the day it was offered as a paid beta release.

I still do quick prototypes in 1.4 as it is far quicker to navigate around. But any serious project is done in 2.x as there is no real point in developing in 1.4 if you own a license to GMS2.