• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Distribution have no idea how to release a game

J

Jonar

I have several questions/complaints:
  • Why are up-loadable images such as the game icon bpm files? Is there a way to change this? I have no idea what a bpm file is
  • I keep trying to download my game from the draft that I made on Itch.io but my computer thinks that I am downloading a virus and even after I click a few times I still can't play the game for some reason.
  • Any good tutorials that I should watch on how to do this? I already found some but they are all for gms:1 which doesn't really help me
Also it's night where I am so I will only be able to answer any of you in about eighteen hours.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Why are up-loadable images such as the game icon bpm files? Is there a way to change this? I have no idea what a bpm file is
Did you mean bmp? A bmp file is a bitmap file, a type of image format, supported by the most basic of basic graphics editing software, such as Microsoft Paint.
If it's actually a bpm file, I have no idea what that is, either.

I'm unsure where you're being prompted for such a file, either way. All of my game icon settings are asking for an ico file. Splash screens accept a wide variety of formats, including bmp. Please elaborate on what you're trying to do.

I keep trying to download my game from the draft that I made on Itch.io but my computer thinks that I am downloading a virus and even after I click a few times I still can't play the game for some reason.
That sounds like a false positive on your antivirus software's side (either of a dedicates antivirus software or the malware protection that's built into your operating system). Report it to the manufacturer so they can fix it, disable it meanwhile if possible so you can download the game if you need to. I assume you're just testing whether the download works, though.

Any good tutorials that I should watch on how to do this? I already found some but they are all for gms:1 which doesn't really help me
Specifically about what are you looking for a tutorial for? You seem to have your game compiled and uploaded already. "Publish" is a broad term and can apply to a lot of things if not further specified.

J

Jonar

It's not a bpm file I'm just bad at spelling. Also what can you use to make ico files? Also yes I am testing whether the game works when downloading it. The issue is that I can't seem to get the game into the right type of file because the regular export makes it a yyz file which isn't really what I want because it makes you go into GameMaker in order to play the game. What I meant by wanting a tutorial recommendation is that all of the tutorials that I have found on how to publish are in GMS:1 and brush up on certain things like how to import in ico files for things like the game icon which was what I was really looking for. I was also looking for an easy way to make a Windows down-loader which I couldn't find. Lastly my game is not uploaded yet because I cannot figure out how to make a working down-loader.
in a nutshell: if you can tell me how to make a working Windows down-loader that would be great. I appreciate you answering me so quickly.

J

Jonar

Oops. I swear there was no information about it in the manual, but you've saved me a lot of time that I would be spending trying to figure out an answer to a problem that is right in front of me. Thanks!

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Also what can you use to make ico files?
I use IcoFX 1.6.

The issue is that I can't seem to get the game into the right type of file because the regular export makes it a yyz file which isn't really what I want because it makes you go into GameMaker in order to play the game.
The correct solution was already explained, so I'll explain the wrong solution for future reference: The export option you found is "export project resources", not "export project as an executable". For example, this is useful for when you need to send a copy of your entire project to someone (YoYo Games support, for example) and want to ensure that only the files that are actually relevant to your game are being sent. You could also use it to filter out orphan files that you deleted from the project but somehow remained on disk by exporting and re-importing the result into a new project.

G

GM029

I've seen the same thing with Windows 10 trying to block .exe files from unknown publishers. In fact I've seem it with games I've bought from itch.io and my own game file. I'm not sure if it's better to distribute your game as a standalone .exe or .zip file.

When that Windows warning pops up there is a link on it that says 'More Info' or something like that. If you click it there will be a button that says 'Run Anyway' I think once you click that it'll run without warnings going forward.