• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Has GM2 finally caught up to the stability and performance of GM 1.4?

rIKmAN

Lol, if they announced GMS3 now I'd buy it staright away. The whole GMS2 experience has me hooked, forever.
Yeah same, but if I'd just spent $200 on an export and they announced GMS3 and a GMS2 sunset then I'd still have bad taste in my mouth (and sore nuts).

It's a fine line between not announcing it until it's ready to drop so that people don't refrain from buying 2.x licences in the meantime, and announcing it early enough so that people have a fair amount of time to make an informed choice about whether to buy 2.x or wait for for 3.x.

It was different with 1.4 > 2.x as people paid $15 for every licence which is easily written off, not so much with a couple of hundred dollars or more.

You're right though, I'm also hooked and excited to see where it can go in the future. :)

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Yeah same, but if I'd just spent $200 on an export and they announced GMS3 and a GMS2 sunset then I'd still have bad taste in my mouth (and sore nuts).
Usually if folk have "just" bought... they get a special deal no one else gets. Either a free upgrade, or a discount. This also saves GMS2 sales dying a death as soon as GMS3 is announced....

Like you said though.... after GMS1.x being in the humble bundle, it was massively devalued so it wasn't really seen as something that was needed (if I recall).

I wouldn't worry thought.... I do know there are still some BIG things coming for GMS2, so plenty time yet.

Mick

I'm also one of those that don't like the workspaces, can't really see the benefit, BUT as stated previously in this thread, you can mostly avoid the workspaces and instead using full screen code editors. There is one (small) thing that could/should be fixed to make tabbed workflow better; the behavior in which tab a script etc. is opened now is a bit "random" and result in parent tabs named "Code" with child tabs from different resources. I think it would be much more clear if every object had a dedicated tab, scripts and shaders would open in parent tabs named "scripts" and "shaders". See the images:

gms2-ide-improvements-1.png
gms2-ide-improvements-2.png

Finally if GMS2 has a good codebase (this should be the case), then the following feature shouldn't be too hard a stretch to implement. This feature is to have the object properties etc. in a dock tab in the same way as for rooms. This could be optional of course. See the mockup below:

gms2-ide-improvements-3.png

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Finally if GMS2 has a good codebase (this should be the case), then the following feature shouldn't be too hard a stretch to implement. This feature is to have the object properties etc. in a dock tab in the same way as for rooms. This could be optional of course. See the mockup below:
View attachment 26861
There WAS talk of doing this... but I've no idea if it got canned as well (or delayed).... You can open object scripts in full screen editors, then use the right click menu to add new events (if memory serves). Unless you're changing sprites/visibility or something, that should be all you really need.

samspade

There WAS talk of doing this... but I've no idea if it got canned as well (or delayed).... You can open object scripts in full screen editors, then use the right click menu to add new events (if memory serves). Unless you're changing sprites/visibility or something, that should be all you really need.
I didn't actually know about the right click menu thing. It does work and is very helpful (as was learning about and turning off workspace animations).