Has anyone thought of making a game that teaches how to code gml?

flyinian

Pretty much what the title says.

A game where you have to type code and if you successfully typed it correctly it'll make something in the game appear, like a enemy. Then you have to code it's movement and then it's attacks, etc.

Could go the same with the player.

K12gamer

Sounds like a game I'd play...because I mainly only know how to use Drag and Drop functions.
Even if it were just a typing tutorial...where you retyped the codes shown on screen...and you'd see in a separate window how onscreen characters reacted.
It could start with the most basic commands...like movement...and work it's way through all the info in the tutorials.

woodsmoke

Yes flyinian has thought about such a game. 😁

Sounds interesting. Especially the implementation of adding new code into a running code. I imagine there are many ways to do this (turn-based, real-time,... )

We had a learning game at school where you programed a robot to collect thingies. After typing the instructions you'd watch it go through the code while the robot moves around.

Last edited:

flyinian

Sounds interesting. Especially the implementation of adding new code into a running code. I imagine there are many ways to do this (turn-based, real-time,... )

We had a learning game at school where you programed a robot to collect thingies. After typing the instructions you'd watch it go through the code while the robot moves around.
that would be cool to try out.

K12gamer

We had a learning game at school where you programmed a robot to collect thingies. After typing the instructions you'd watch it go through the code while the robot moves around.
Replace "Robot" with "Anime Girl"...and you'd have a hit game on your hands...
Would look something like this...
1589577434261.png
Oh...and she'd get angry / whine a lot when you made mistakes...

I should know better than to click on links. Now my YouTube recommendations are gonna get weird again...

The idea sounds good though. Harder levels could end up with environmental puzzles that have to be solved by coding elements of the environment. Like Portal, but with For loops.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
I think YYG did. They called it GameMaker.
It's even on Steam, so it must be a game!

Not specifically about GML, but there are games like Shenzhen I/O that are essentially about programming and building circuits. So the concept has already been realized, just not necessarily with GML as the focus. I'd imagine that's a bit too specific.