• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Has anyone tested the Reliable UDP protocol in GameMaker?

• Thread starter GhostlyImprints
  • Start date
G

GhostlyImprints

I don't know when the reliable UDP protocol was implemented for GameMaker Studio, but I just found out about it.

Is it actually decent? Has anyone tested it? Are there any problems with it in terms of order of datagrams, order of segments, or lost datagrams?

Or does it work very well for P2P games? Would anyone recommend it over say, the GMNet Punch extension?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
"Reliable UDP"? UDP has the "uncertain delivery protocol" mnemonic for a reason, so it sounds like a bit of an oxymoron....

G

GhostlyImprints

"Reliable UDP"? UDP has the "uncertain delivery protocol" mnemonic for a reason, so it sounds like a bit of an oxymoron....
There is a reliable UDP protocol now in GMS2. I just want to know if it's fit for P2P multiplayer games and can be relied upon.

I can't find a lot of information about it other than that one documentation page.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Reliable UDP had been around for a while - originally as an undocumented option.

When I tested it, it did deliver packets in right order and with integrity, but it wouldn't request missed packets too quickly, so in the end I wrote a custom solution instead.