Windows Harvest Rogue [WIP]

LunaticEdit

hr_logo.png
Harvest Rogue
A Retro Rogue-Lite RPG

Overview:
**This project is still extremely early in development.**
Harvest Rogue is an old school RPG/Roguelike game, and features a centralized area you can build your home, craft, grow, etc. Currently, the art is using the DAWNLIKE tileset, but will slowly be replaced by theme-appropriate tiles, which will look VERY different - I already have an artist working on this (he did the logo you see above).

Story:
The game's story can't be fully described without giving things away, but generally speaking, it covers the 5 stages of grief, and deals with loss, memories, and legacy. The plan is to hit you in the feels. I've got the main pieces already laid out, and am working on filling in the actual script for the game's scenes.

Mechanics:
The game has a turn based system. Every time you perform an action, the world ticks (like any traditional roguelike). The game is design for use with the XBox One controller, but supports keyboard (Arrow keys, Enter, Esc, and Page Up/Down for page scrolling). Combat will retain most of its style from traditional roguelike games as well. However, there will be elements of crafting, farming, and building of your own safe area. Note that the main game world is NOT procedurally generated as it is very heavily story based. As you play, there will be cycles where the corrupted will enclose you (kind of like darkness). Corruption will always flow towards your safe area (the part of the game world where you can build your home and such). You can plant memorial flowers on your land, which seems to hold back the corruption, keeping you safe while it is bad. In the corruption, everything appears old/dead. If you enter the corruption yourself, the game will fade you out, and you'll get a game over; the corruption will be explained in the game's story and is a key game mechanic, as well as plot tool.

Screenshots:
ss1.png ss2.png

Demo:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1K1GXh64fVQUaLqOr-gdXpVApI78zyf-c
(This gets updated regularly as I push new versions out)

Discord:

If you want more immediate communication and/or updates, you can go to our discord channel with this invite link:
https://discord.gg/A3MafxM

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
A few screenshots would be nice so that people have an idea what they're downloading... ;)

LunaticEdit

I just updated the link on google drive now that the dialog system supports replies.

Yes, the tileset is currently using dawnlike. I have an artist I've paid that is working on finishing the game's logo, as well as the first 50 tiles for me as we speak. Once that set comes down the pipe, I'll replace all existing art with the new assets. But I have found the dawnlike tileset to be extremely useful as a stand-in until the final art is completed, even if the theme is wildly inappropriate for how the game is really going to look.

LunaticEdit

Bumpity bump. Added a little more description to the post. Also added a new update showing off the inventory management, map changes, and the start of NPCs that can walk around.