• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design "Handicap" or "Disabled" Feautures

T

Thunder Lion

I need help guys. So I am working on a update to my game Protonica a color matching game.
I have added new features for the color blind and for those who can't use a mouse.
Currently I have a Handicap wheelchair icon for players to access these features.

My question is, is this offensive in anyway? I want to approach this respectfully.
I wanted the game to be able to be accessible for people who couldn't use the game effectively because
of color-blindness or a disability that does not allow use of a mouse.

JeffJ

Seeing as I'm not disabled in any way, you could argue my opinion doesn't matter at all, and that's probably true, but I will give some perspective;

Think about it like this - do you find that same symbol offensive when used in the context of a parkng spot? Or a bathroom stall?
Because that's pretty much, as far as I know, the universal symbol for "disabled accessibility". So the short answer; no, I wouldn't assume it to be an issue.

Also, good on you for including that sort of stuff!

I remember reading a study before saying that menus with icons were much less used (and much more slowly learned) than simple text menus. For that reason alone, I'd just write "accessibility options" on the button, if possible. I can't stand menu symbols, personally.

On the idea itself, assuming you have to use symbols for whatever reason: I don't think it's offensive, but I do find it a little weird. Do colorblind people consider themselves "handicapped" or "disabled?" If I was colorblind, I'm not sure I'd go clicking on the wheelchair symbol, which is again the problem with symbols over text. I'm not colorblind, so I can't say for sure though, obviously, hahah.

Anyway, cool that you're including the options at all. I'm sure people appreciate it when they need the option! =)

T

Thunder Lion

Okay guys so I think I'll change it to an OPTIONS GEAR, the icon all will have a "description" for the sake of simplicity. Thanks guys! Also Rich I will definitely add texts next to ALL the icons not just the main menu!

sylvain_l

On the idea itself, assuming you have to use symbols for whatever reason: I don't think it's offensive, but I do find it a little weird. Do colorblind people consider themselves "handicapped" or "disabled?" If I was colorblind, I'm not sure I'd go clicking on the wheelchair symbol, which is again the problem with symbols over text. I'm not colorblind, so I can't say for sure though, obviously, hahah.
personnally, I have a color deficiency and never consider myself truely as disabled.

for the app/game that have color blind option, they are usually hidden under the graphic options

T

Thunder Lion

personnally, I have a color deficiency and never consider myself truely as disabled.
Yeah i recall this in battlefield. Im going to have this stuff in game options.

for the app/game that have color blind option, they are usually hidden under the graphic options
Ill be adding all this on options and will not feature them as "handicaps" but just options that are available.

WarpDogsVG

I remember reading a study before saying that menus with icons were much less used (and much more slowly learned) than simple text menus. For that reason alone, I'd just write "accessibility options" on the button, if possible. I can't stand menu symbols, personally.

Anyway, cool that you're including the options at all. I'm sure people appreciate it when they need the option! =)
Yeah, this would be my answer. Just label it as "Accessibility Options" and don't worry about any kind of icon

T

Thunder Lion

This was an opening text to my project Final Wing, a space shooter, yes the fire of man is literally their bodies and desire, the steel being the artificial power, the constellations I admit are very "vague" if not put into a context, it was just a representation of how the world works in this game lore, as a side note to you all it is referring to a region technique the world uses to divide various governing bodies as in this world the solar system is under specific group controls, the radio waves allow travelers to comprehend they are in another area with different laws and restrictions which these constellations provide and effect their ships accordingly, the game itself just represents this as color changes, but doesn't effect the game play. I got a bit into my lore for this world that I forget that I wrote it and know what it represents, I'll provide it a place but only with adequate referring

I JUST REPLIED TO THE WRONG THREAD LOL