• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Graphics Hand Drawn digital art

E

Efis Evisule

So I already have some game mechanics down and use some pixel art as place holders. Would I have to change my game's resolution if i wanted to throw in art that is not pixel art. What would I save the sprites as (ex. vector, jpg, etc.) and what would be a good size for the sprite of a main character in a plat-former (resolution wise, and character would be relatively small on screen). I know Crashlands went from pixel art to a more cartoony artstyle and I was always thinking of taking that route as drawing helps me envision my game. Please and thank you for any help.

It really depends on the resolution you already have. I'm assuming since you're using pixel art that your resolution is small, so I would say that if you wanted to use non-pixel art that you really should consider increasing your resolution. I always make most of my games with the resolution of 1920x1080 in mind and sketch a quick screen mockup to gauge how large my assets and backgrounds should be. Some of my player sprites are up to 256px tall for instance.
So I recommend just sketching out a screen, a mockup of how you think the game should look amd then make your decisions about sprite sizes from that.
Good luck, I'd love to see more non-pixel art games going around.

E

Efis Evisule

It really depends on the resolution you already have. I'm assuming since you're using pixel art that your resolution is small, so I would say that if you wanted to use non-pixel art that you really should consider increasing your resolution. I always make most of my games with the resolution of 1920x1080 in mind and sketch a quick screen mockup to gauge how large my assets and backgrounds should be. Some of my player sprites are up to 256px tall for instance.
So I recommend just sketching out a screen, a mockup of how you think the game should look amd then make your decisions about sprite sizes from that.
Good luck, I'd love to see more non-pixel art games going around.
Thank you so much! This really helps out as i had my game scale up to 720p from 360p, but my sprites were 48x48. I'll start to make it in 1920 x 1080 since that can be considered a standard now. 256px tall seems like a very good number that will help me play around with my sprites until I am ready to change it up. Do you use another program for your sprites or do you just use game maker( if you don't mind me asking)?

No problem. I use a bunch of programs depending on things. I use MSpaint for quick mockups sometimes, or an oooooold version of Photoshop. Other times I use Medibang on my Android tablet when I feel like drawing by hand.
I rarely use GM's sprite editor.