OFFICIAL GXC is Here! For Creators and Gamers

gnysek

to include the above case
In test mode Track param will be still missed, so it either need to use same fix for var _track, or manual copy-paste of any "testing" challenge url. As I understand, gameid and trackid are always passed to game when playing from gxc website (either public or private mode).

milleson

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Best I can tell we don't need to allow setting track param manually? Since then it would be possible to play the live version of the game and send scores to the private version (or other way around) which will be messy. Technically ofc possible since these are all just API calls.

Actually maybe one scenario is for testing, since then you can define all IDs in the code instead of copy pasting after you launch.. That would be very useful, but I'm still concerned then that someone will accidentally report to wrong track if they upload without changing. Do you have any suggestions for how we can cater for that scenario without introducing the risk of accidentally sending to wrong track?

gnysek

Do you have any suggestions for how we can cater for that scenario without introducing the risk of accidentally sending to wrong track?
Only solution which came to my mind and is safest among others, it to add new field in "Opera GX" properties window (project properties, not GMS properties), where user can add URI GET params to add when game is ran in test mode on local sever (so he can paste data copied from 1638534816636.png), and this will be added after index.html for testing purposes. This way, when game is published, those params won't be forced in any way in code, but will came naturally from GXC.

milleson

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Nice. I think we can even take it one step further and allow fetching data from GXC directly in the "Opera GX" properties, since we now have Opera SSO when you launch allowing us deeper integration. Then user can specify from list of challenges/tracks what they want to test removing the current setup of copying the parameters (was meant initially as a quick workaround to allow easier local testing).

8BitWarrior

I'm looking for a way to fetch a player's current rank within a challenge. Is there any plans to support this in the future?

I did hack up a solution which worked until I came across this error...
GML:
gxc_error_page_size_too_high
I see a potential way to get around this, but I'm not sure that the back-end team would be happy with me! 😅

Last edited:

Toque

GXC has been great. When people post new GM games in the forum I can simply click and play.

Im on a MacBook so it makes it so easy. I don’t have to pull out my windows laptop.

milleson

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
In addition to the changes in GXC we've added an initial (very light!) statistics page in DevCloud under each game. It currently only lists
- Total amount of plays
- Total amount of ratings

We are working on more metrics, and additional visualisation ways for the metrics. E.g. for ratings we are looking into showing distribution of the ratings etc.

New layout and features for GXC look great, especially the "other games by this studio" section (cross-promotion between your own games is always sweet). Challenges are much more visible and easy to access. And my F5 key does not appreciate the addition of dev stats (I was pleasantly shocked at the plays on Neon Run, there's definitely a lot of people trying out games on the platform). Also, the updated gxc_*() functions on the development side is much appreciated, being able to select challenges in-game is so much better than how it was previously (I know you could code your own work-around to allow it before, but my procrastination said no!). All in all, nice useful updates and I'm keen to see where it's heading in the future.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
In addition to the changes in GXC we've added an initial (very light!) statistics page in DevCloud under each game. It currently only lists
- Total amount of plays
- Total amount of ratings

We are working on more metrics, and additional visualisation ways for the metrics. E.g. for ratings we are looking into showing distribution of the ratings etc.
Can their be an way to disable operas shortcuts
so if someone presses CTRL+W, they can play the game not close the tab?

and a way to force the game to start in fullscreen now its set to not start in fullscreen, our game's resolution got shafted by this change, as GX scales it to the display size of the preview, and apparently window_set_fullscreen does not work

Last edited:

milleson

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
so if someone presses CTRL+W, they can play the game not close the tab?
Hey! Potentially doable, but I would recommend to not use any key combinations that the browser normally picks up if possible. We however recently made it a lot easier to iterate on the "play area", which will allow us to test changes more easily, potentially with this we could be able to intercept browser shortcuts without having to update Opera GX.

and a way to force the game to start in fullscreen now its set to not start in fullscreen, our game's resolution got shafted by this change, as GX scales it to the display size of the preview, and apparently window_set_fullscreen does not work
Can you send a link to your game (if not public yet you can send DM with private version) and we can take a look. Possible we can resolve it if we change the way we enter fullscreen.

No plans atm to allow games to configure preferred starting mode, however we are always open to iterate our solution to find the best approach so open to test more things if current setup doesn't work well.

Alexx

I just submitted a game for the #noticeme game jam. My first version didn't upload to operagx because it was too large, fortunately I managed to tweak and remove a few things and got it uploaded.

Is there anyway to know what the upload file size limit is, and the size of my current game project? - this would be really useful.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Is there anyway to know what the upload file size limit is, and the size of my current game project? - this would be really useful.
Generally I second the idea of showing both the upload limit and the current project size.

One thing I just want to point out, that might help with your game specifically - make sure all your background music has attributes set to something other than "Uncompressed - Not Streamed" ("Compressed - Streamed" should be good enough for most cases, I guess). 99% of the time whenever a game size is too big, it's because of uncompressed music files (short sound effects are fine to be uncompressed). It's especially true for small-scoped Jam games (as opposed to long-term large-scale games).

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Yeah. Few have noticed already but GXC has been evolving into a more aptly named GX.games. https://gx.games

There's no real changes on the developer side other than some game tagging and tracking to help us better serve up games and overall help discoverability. There's some tests going on with paid games as free trials such as with Doomed to Hell at the moment but nothing quite yet on wider monetization as those plans are still ongoing. Cheers!

EDIT: also GXC never stood for anything :eek:

Last edited:

gnysek

GX.games is better name. First - it associates with Opera GX, second, .games is easier to remember.

What with dev portal? Will it get new subdomain too?

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
GX.games is better name. First - it associates with Opera GX, second, .games is easier to remember.

What with dev portal? Will it get new subdomain too?
Yep. We will have a new domain for this soon.

Doesn't seem to be working as it should. I'm using OperaGX, but the Doom To Hell page https://gx.games/games/xuttwv/doomed-to-hell/ wants me to install OperaGX.

View attachment 47987

Current OperaGX version :
View attachment 47988
Ah I'm hearing the gx.games domain isn't quite hooked up all the way - it should work here https://gxc.gg/games/xuttwv/doomed-to-hell/

Jman

I notice in the section on dev cloud where you select a cover art for your game that the text saying you can use a gif file isn't there anymore.
Has the option to use a gif file for cover art been removed?

Stra

I'm sure I'm missing something, but how do I play the games on gx.games in fullscreen mode? If I press F11 it just resizes the browser window to full screen, it doesn't resize the game window (preview window or however it is called).

The game stays windowed. Which means it's always scaled according to the browser window, so the pixels in the games are never perfect.

Help?

John4300

I'm sure I'm missing something, but how do I play the games on gx.games in fullscreen mode? If I press F11 it just resizes the browser window to full screen, it doesn't resize the game window (preview window or however it is called).

The game stays windowed. Which means it's always scaled according to the browser window, so the pixels in the games are never perfect.

Help?
On the right side where there is info, a favorite button and a share button, there should be a fullscreen button as well. If it isn't there, the game probably has disabled changing screen size.

I think games themselves can set them in full screen as well, so see if there is an option for it in game too.