• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Guys i need help with my game

D

drmix

Ive been doing a card game and its a multiplayer game so i wannt help with turns i made more detail i need to end the turn of one player and move to the next and do something like dispalay a message if the player pressed next but didnt do anything.

D

Dudeidu

If you don't have any code to show, or any details of what you already tried to do that didn't work, please dont expect much help.
You should read more about multiplayer in game-maker, or in general and watch some tutorials online (there are plenty on youtube).

Good luck :)

D

drmix

If you don't have any code to show, or any details of what you already tried to do that didn't work, please dont expect much help.
You should read more about multiplayer in game-maker, or in general and watch some tutorials online (there are plenty on youtube).

Good luck :)

Tnx well what i bassicly did was just assigned the players a number and when he finished his turn the number went up by 1 to indicate next player well that works in a lan game but in a multiplayer not really so i need some ideas and/or help with the "player" concept...Since the code is too long and half or more of the vars isnt in english itll be hard to understand the concept, bassicly i threw 7 dice and then click the card(object) and it does something if the dice match the one on card and just cross it over(early development XD) so then if all the rows on card are crossed it changes the card ownership from neutral to players(currentl arrays with numbers for id),oh forgot something if dice is used id desapears XD... well thats about it so i need help with turning the players into object not arrays(as they are now) so i can do a multiplayer.. ty in advance and for fast replay.

D

Dudeidu

Again, your best bet is probably to learn about networking from the game maker help documents, guides or examples and then apply what you have learned to your game.
I dont think i can help you with that myself since I am not familiar with how game maker handles multiplayer,

Basically, once you learn how to establish a connection between two computers, you can sync the relevant information between the two so that each one knows what turn it is, and report the turn results to the one another.

Z

Zekka

Usually in multiplayer you're going to have a set group of user-to-server messages or server-to-user messages -- you've probably already got some like:

Code:
client->server: I am connecting!
server->just one client: You are client number <ID>.
client->server: I'm a user and I just played a card.
client->server: Please roll the dice.
server->all clients: Client <ID> just played a card, and it was <card ID>.
server->all clients: Client <ID> has disconnected.
server->all clients: The dice roll was <roll>.
I'd add the following couple messages to this, patterned off of the previous:
Code:
server->all clients: It is now client <ID>'s turn.
server->any number of clients: Please display the message <Message>.
What's important is that the server code knows how to send a message to any number of active users, and that both the client and server code know how to look at a message like this and extract the client ID, card ID, message text, etc. (whatever I wrote in <angle brackets>) Then the tricky bit is just getting the server to keep track of what user's turn it thinks it is -- but you would probably do that the same way you would in a hot seat kind of game.

It sounds like you already have a system that kind of accomplishes this, but to me it's weird that it only works on LAN -- that makes me think that the server is not reporting back to the users when a turn ends, or something. It's usually hard in a turn-based game for users to get out of sync. It also sounds like you've kinda got some miscellaneous bugs (like the dice causing problems) that aren't really related to your multiplayer problem. (they could be related, I just don't know yet how they would be.)

I think your "rewrite players as objects, not arrays" problem is probably separate from this.