• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Demo GunFire [Demo][pre-Alpha]

Humayun

As there are number of multiplayer shooting games on android, I decided to build a top-down multiplayer shooting android game, I found many resources/graphics on the web but didn't draw a pixel! The game is in progress and executable for window version is available to test, I know that the game is boring in its current state but I'll soon add multiplayer so anyone can play with his friend.

Goals:

• Multiplayer, Coop.
  • AI Bots with advance capabilities.
  • Achievements to unlock.
  • Different Maps and a map editor.
  • Different skins of weapons and players.
  • Different Modes ( Zombie, Deathmatch e.t.c).
Whats is Done so far?
  • AI Bots.
  • Basic Maps.
  • Playable on android.
  • Shop.
  • Weapons.
  • Health, Armour e.t.c.
  • Much more.
Something words about Multiplayer,
I knew multiplayer was going to be hardest part of coding but I start everything with multiplayer, But lack of plan makes multiplayer even worst, I was coding multiplayer things but i didn't plan how multiplayer is going to work, match making, custom servers, master server or what?, multiplayer code is still in the game but its definitely crap now, I will restart work on multiplayer when I will done with other things.

Link to Demo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5f8bzrrsx0d2d3/GunFire.exe?dl=0

DevStory,
Like other programmers (not everyone!) I always have tension between my game designer,
64 pixel tiles or 32 pixels?
When I start developing this game I arrange every thing for 32 pixel tiles , for example
views, horizontal view contained 20 tiles (640 pixels width), collisions were arranged for 32 pixels tiles,
player skins size I arranged for 32 pixels and everything else, my main goal was setting screen size to 640x480. But then my game designer complains me that its 2016 you are still using 640x480 screen size use 64 pixel tiles. First I said no because of several reasons:
  • To use 64 pixel tiles I had to change everything from players skin size to screen views e.t.c.
  • As screen size increase our game screen size will be 2x large and definitely application_surface size will increase too which would effect game performance because we were targeting android devices.
But at last I accepted to use 64 pixel tiles, and changed everything.

16:9 or 4:3 ratios?
As of most fps pc games our game was using 4:3 screen ratio and then we came up wit black bars at left and right of screen. I knew its going to happen because most android devices does not have 4:3 ratio.
I decided to use 16:9 because of android but again my game designer told me that players will have more vision horizontally and less vision vertically which was not good, but we both agreed that every player will have same vision and every one will see 16:9 ratio view.

Zooming 30% more,
I had an any idea a weak ago to zoom camera/view 30% more so the view will be 896:504 which will reduce the size of application_surface too, and players can see more detail. But by setting all views to 896:504 GUI mess up, its because GUI's were designed for 1280:720. As I was using display_get_gui_width() and display_get_gui_height(), I just use display_set_gui_size(1280,720) instead of display_get_gui_size(view_view[0],view_hview[0]) and every thing became right again.

Some screenshots:
The Main Menu,

Game Play,

Shop?!,

Maps List ( only 3 for now ),

Feedback is definitely required so I can continue developing GunFire :).

Last edited:

Cpaz

How do you shoot? Because for me, I can only click and have the aim reticle spaz out. Speaking of which, is there a reason that the reticle only points in a direction rather than following the cursor completely?

Humayun

Thanks for checking out the game, The reason is this game is designed for android and there is no visible cursor in android that's why reticle is used to aim in android and stay with in constant distance from player. ( Player in android move direction with a joystick )

John Andrews

Living Enigma
Wow! Cool! Movement is a bit slow, but whatever, this is sure cool, sounds, they come from CS LOL, but we all start like that, sprites are good, buy system is a bit weird, as the weapons system, since you have to press that button to switch guns, but that's for android so it's ok, overall this is gooood! :D hope you continue, plz make the movement just a biiit faster, and make it have friction, sometimes the player keeps drifting in X direction when I release a key

Overall score: 6/10

Humayun

Looks cool man! im about to download the demo!
Thanks for downloading, Hope you will like it.

@John Andrews Yes switching weapons is bit weird but I don't have any other choice for android, and about movement speed: sure I'll increase it and add some friction. Weapons/shop is wierd, (I know) but its temporary We will replace shop soon.
Thanks for review, I'll post a android version (apk) soon.