GUI Size Question

C

ChaosX2

Hey Everyone,

This isn't so much a programming question about the GUI, but more of how to go about setting the right dimensions. Because my monitor is 1920 x 1080, I just happen to set the GUI to that size and figured sprite sizes out according to that. Because my partner is used to drawing detailed images in Photoshop, she mentioned how the sizes I mention are so small. I just happened to set the GUI to be twice the amount (3840 x 2160) and sure enough the images were smaller. This leads me to my question.

What are the rules to setting a gui size? I have no idea how it works in relation to the resolution of the monitor and am wondering if it's okay to increase the size to be higher in order to get higher quality images.

What are you using the GUI for? Based on your description, the only thing I can imagine is to display character portraits (like a visual novel).

RangerX

Ok, there's alot of things you need to understand.
The GUI layer can be at the monitor size if you want. It sort if is how its meant to be. But that's just meant to draw your HUD stuff. What's the real resolution of your game is the view size.
Second thing, you don't make a game with a native resolution that is more than 1920x1080. Most PS4 games aren't even at that native resolution lol. Also, there are still ALOT of people playing videogames on smaller resolutions than that.
Another thing, GMS create itself "texture pages" and store them into memory. Its sort of canvas where it puts all your graphical assets in case it needs to draw them fast. Those textures pages are having a size limit (and the limit is quite dramatic for mobile phone since they have low memory). If you'd make a graphical asset that is bigger than a texture page, GMS would autmatically halve it and you'd loose alot of quality.

All in all, what I am saying is forget everything that is 3840 x 2160. To make a 2D graphic novel that looks high res, you wouldn't need to go over 1080p. (1920x1080)

M

MuddyMuddy

The reason she draws at the high res in photoshop is because traditionally people use it for print media - you can always scale down, or print at a high res if needs be.

If its just for games, there is no need to go above HD atm. Of course you can start higher res, then scale down, but its hard to scale up and keep your image the same. I would have everything as your monitor size or lower personally.