• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GUI layer sprite button help

L

Louise112

So I'm creating an isometric city builder type game and am fairly new to GML and programming so am trying to start small.

To start with I've created a simple map and an objects that draws a tower sprite button to the GUI layer.

When in game the player can move the camera around the map using the arrow keys and what I want to have happen is for the player to be able to click on the GUI tower button and have a tower appear at the mouse position for them to be able to place.

If I place the tower button on the map directly I can click on it and place a tower. Success! But if I draw the sprite to the GUI layer I can't click it at all. The problem with this solution is that the GUI button doesn't follow the player when they move to a different part of the map.

The closest I've gotten to a solution is the function -> device_mouse_x_to_gui(0) which shows me the x/y value of the mouse relative the the GUI. But asides from manually entering in the sprite box on the GUI and checking for a match I'm not sure how to get GUI layer sprite buttons working.

I've also tried adding in the step event to let the x position equal the camera position but the button seemed to lag and jump around a lot -> x/y=camera_get_view_x/y(view_camera[0])

Would love any idea's or suggestions? any tutorials or points in the right direction would be great!

Thank you in advance!

Rob

Here are two videos made for this subject. Either use sprites (video 1) or make your objects follow the camera (video 2)

Buttons without objects:

Make objects follow the camera: