Greetings from a noob.

R

Raizek

Greetings! I am Raizek and I am a 25 year old Canadian! I am a pen and paper artist, meaning I draw a lot but I've never translated it to photoshop or anything else by computer. Despite never being involved in game-making, lately I have an itch to create my perfect game. So far my journey has lead me here.

I would like to ask, how do you guys create game? What I mean is, how do you structure a project?

I have plenty of ideas for a solid game, but no clue as to where to start. I have gone thru a few tutorials about coding, but I am still baffled about how to structure a game. Should I work on the engine of the game first? Should I structure it like it will be played? From room A to Z? Should all the artwork be done first or last?

Now, I imagine there is no right answer, there's must plenty of people who have different ways of doing things, but I'd just like a few ideas and pointers to help me out.

I doubt this will be my last question, but I gotta start somewhere!

A

Aura

I would like to ask, how do you guys create game? What I mean is, how do you structure a project?
With style~

Jokes apart, most of us didn't create huge plans for our first games. You shouldn't either. Simply start working on a game, grasp the basics and so on. Project management is not something that you should learn before anything else.

Should I work on the engine of the game first? Should I structure it like it will be played? From room A to Z? Should all the artwork be done first or last?
You are over complicating things too much for a first game. Don't make huge plans just yet, because you'll come to know that making large-scale games is no easy buisness. As for the artwork, I prefer the prototype art method but when I am talking about a starter game, I'll add the graphics first or alongwith coding as ideas strike me.

Relax, take a deep breath, follow the tutorials and kickstart your journey~<3

G

Greenhawk

Let me be the first to welcome you to the GMC, me bucko!

Now to answer your question, it could go either way. You can be that person who just starts a project and ad-lib from there and sometimes it works, and sometimes it fails miserably, as you can be staring at your screen for countless hours. It would be best if you write your plans out. Like a game design document. Most times though I would just start a project, look at tutorials along the way, get some help and keep moving. The GMC is a great place to get game design and programming help. This, i my opinion dependents on how big the project is going to be. But anyways, you should take into account:

Story:
  • This will ultimately carry you throughout your whole entire game.
  • This is the most creative part of your game, next to gameplay.
  • Include here: you're artwork, sketches, characters, and anything you may feel can be essential to the game. (As you program, some features may not make the cut and that's okay).
Gameplay:
  • You should have at least the core idea to how you want your game to function, weather that's a platformer, top down, or 3d project.
  • This includes, health, bad guys, levels, music etc.
These are only a few things but I hope you can get a consensus from my point of view. I'm sure there are more experienced people who can back me up or give you better information. :) Like I said before, I usually just start blank and slowly work my way up. Just pace yourself; don't overwork yourself. When it all comes down to it, you just gotta have the dedication, focus and mentality to actually come through with the game, you know.

R

Raizek

I appreciate the answers and the welcome, I kinda was turning in circles about how to start. I already have a story written down, most if not all gameplay aspects are clear in my mind.

Apart from that, any database of code anyone can recommend me? Or tutorials? Specifically related to making a strategy rpg? I would like to create something similar to Final Fantasy Tactics.

Thanks.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I generally make my games in chronological order (easier levels first) and introduce new gameplay elements on a whim when I get ideas; it's not the best way to do things, but it works okay if you're working completely solo (or at least have a team that tolerates you). In my latest project, I ended up doing lots of things in batches (all items in a row, then all dungeons except bosses in a row, and THEN all the bosses in a row) and from my experiences, it was a more efficient way to do it... just more boring. It didn't stop me from adding in new enemy types I hadn't thought about originally to match the dungeons, though.

The hardest part when making loosely planned projects is to STOP. I've had several projects fail because I ended up adding new things over and over way past the 'it's done now' point, and either the engine ended up broken because of all my unforeseen tweaks in the code, or I lost interest before I could actually finish the game.

B

BobMorate

Quite honestly, the way I make my games are usually like this:

- I think of an idea of a basic gameplay loop that sounds "fun".
- I prototype it and try if it IS actually fun or if I was just delusional. If I can bring some friends to try it out and give me their opinion to prove I'm not an egotistical maniac, even better.
- If that works, I start adding complexity layers to it. Carefully ensuring that none of these layers ruin the fun I previously devised (playtest, playtest, playtest). This can entail from new mechanics, to level design.
- Once that is all settled, add a narrative, music, visual style and start "making it pretty". Did I mention playtesting?
- All done? Then review the whole thing, make sure that it stands on its own feet, and off you go.

Bear in mind: I may have made it sound "short" or "easy", but it's actually extremely long, tedious, and it will most definitely test your will, your passion and your patience.

A recommendation: Get yourself a portable recorder, and bring it with you *everywhere*. You never know when you may think of something fun to develop.

Edit: PLAYTEST. I'm serious.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Edit: PLAYTEST. I'm serious.
Seconded... but let me add that you will probably need some other person to check the game out once it nears completion, because it's easy to miss stuff once you get too familiar with the game and only test newly added stuff. In particular, if you get someone that's good at breaking games and finding bugs, they'll be very useful at helping you keep the game stable, but it's also good if you get someone that's not really a gamer to check it out, so you can see whether it's obvious how to play the game. If they get stuck in the first level and can't proceed, you probably need to clarify stuff or redesign the level.

S

Snail Man

Sometimes the very first step can be the hardest. My advice is to get something on the screen, so you have that visual feedback. After that, make it do something (in most cases, programming movement first is a good easy option). From there, just keep on layering and refining the gameplay mechanics, receiving a little burst of positive feedback every time something you make works, and before long, you'll have a working prototype.

Reactions: Yal

FredFredrickson

Artist, designer, & developer
GMC Elder
You gotta just sit down and send time playing around with it. It might even be better to have no goals at first. Just get your hands dirty and learn how the program works. You'll have a better idea for possible work flows once you understand how to actually make stuff.

R

Raizek

I greatly appreciate all the advice! They are noted and I will be back, hopefully with something to show :)