• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Graphics freeze during room change, windows 10, HP

C

Chungsie

http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/...-graphics-?page=1#community_comment_241152308

So basically I cannot change from the main menu to the first level of the game. I was able to do it if I go through the cutscene sequences, but for testing purposes I am wanting to go straight to the level without having to listen to the story over and over, and there is no new assignments or things which should cause an error.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/192507807927369728/257639430217662465/unknown.png I sent the current project as of yesterday to a friend, and they did not have the same issues I am having.

here is what it is like for me, without the audio playing for the first level
- note how all the objects freeze. it happens exactly when the room should change.

this is my project after speaking with yoyo games and finding out I had a variable name issue. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmSZutMnfS3TlyUfOc7I0aQPNOzJ

unfortunately, I don't know that the kind gentleman on the ticket wishes to help any more, because he stated it seemed to be a project issue. But I am confused, two of the people I have shared the project with do not get the same issue as I do.

does anyone know how to resolve this?

J

Jaqueta

This could be a number of reasons, my best guess, is that your game is stuck in some sort of loop.
Run the game on Debugger mode, and activate the Profile tool, here's a guide of how to do it.
This should help you to narrow down which event of which object is freezing the game.

C

Chungsie

hi, I am unable to find where to make a new window in debugger. maybe those instructions are outdated for my version? upon looking fruther at the link, it is meant for GMS 1.3, I am using 1.4.1763

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jaqueta

Nope, the debugger is the same
The whole idea of the Debug Module is to permit you to "watch" every detail of your game. This is done using "watch windows" which are opened on the right hand side of the debug module. To open a new watch, simply click on an empty area (which should show the text "select window type") or right-click on the top window bar and choose a new "Type".
If you need any further information, I suggest you to use the documentation.

C

Chungsie

ok sorry, I figure it out. upon working with the profile window, and executing start game, all information in profile simply freezes, no updating. and yes I have it actively updating in the debugger.

J

Jaqueta

Weird, I tested your project here, and it ran without any freezes, the switching between rooms had no delays or whatsoever, instant.

Does it happens as well if you use YoYo Compiler?

C

Chungsie

yes. it has to be my machine.... but HP won't give me free support for it because it is 3rd party software.... and I really don't like HP support. I have a three year warranty good til 2018, and everytime I have issues with the machine, tech support demands I pay them to fix it, be it shipping or otherwise. THe weirdest part, is if I go to a supervisor they assure me that my issues can be resolved free of charge, as it is against HP policy to charge me. I feel like I am a such a lucky person :( I don't know if the YOYO guy decided he can't help, and I pretty much assumed they would not be able to help. The only way I see in resolving it is buying a new machine... but I don't understand why I have this luck... like I can't even make money off my projects without effecting my income in a negative way because I am disabled. So I do everything for free anyways. And then the best part is trying to find help, to which perhaps that is my stroke of luck as I have a programmer and sfx person I found here. I know making a game will generate interest in people helping me in the future. and I wanted to make something I would enjoy, and possibly others, seeing that commercial projects is not an option... It always feels like a never ending battle with technology. I mean my mom had to buy my phone before I had benefits so it would be easier to communicate with another, only to find out it cost the same as a smart phone only it was not a smart phone, and I could not use the Citi bank snap app to deposit my checks without physically going to a branch of the bank.

It's not even a very complex game.... so much joy.

J

Jaqueta

Before, try updating your drivers, all of them, it could be related to SoundCard, Graphics Card, or even DirectX it self...

C

Chungsie

this.PNG all my drivers are up to date according to the install softwares for them

I just contacted HP supervisors explaining how HP tech support always demands money from me. and how YOYO games has determined it was not their software but my machine.

Last edited by a moderator: