• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

HTML5 Graphics does not show up in safari using HTML5 export

Hello everyone!

I have this strange issue where my graphics does not show up i Safari. Works great on every other browser. Just not safari.

Tried googling to see if this was a common issue but couldn't find anything :S

You can still interact with the game. But the graphics are entirely blue for some reason.
Never had this issue before and it seems to be affecting older export also.

Is it something wrong in Safari or Game Maker Studio 2? Could it be my code?

If anyone has any insight into this I would be really glad.

So this is how the game looks in chrome:

Screenshot 2020-08-25 at 11.44.34.png

And here is how it looks in Safari:

Screenshot 2020-08-25 at 11.44.45.png
 

O.Stogden

Member

This person had a similar problem, not sure if it ever got fixed.

Like I said in that thread though, it's usually to do with the image assets not being loaded correctly.

iOS browsers must do something different from the other OS's in how it handles the files maybe.
 
This person had a similar problem, not sure if it ever got fixed.

Like I said in that thread though, it's usually to do with the image assets not being loaded correctly.

iOS browsers must do something different from the other OS's in how it handles the files maybe.
It's a similar problem. However, I'm using a MacBook to try my games and the game works fine in Chrome, FF and Edge. But not in Safari...
Is this a common issue? I've tried different computers - same issue. I've tried changing everything graphical in the HTML5 export - same issue.

Is this a bug in GMS2?
 

chmod777

Member
Which version are you using? Maybe it's related to a change in 2.3.
If you can, please post a link to your game (or any other sample hosted on the same domain).
 

chmod777

Member
Could it be GameJolt's host system that is not working well with Safari?
That seems to be the case! I've checked your link with my iPad and observed the issue. I've then hosted a small sample on my server using GMS 2.3 and this one did work!
But I'm really clueless about the cause... So you should try to open the browser's console and see if you have any errors in the "Console" tab or any 404 in the "Network" tab
 
There seems to be something that some hosting systems do that works with GMS2 html5 games on android and desktop computers, but not with GMS2 games on iOS devices.
Btw I tried in 2.2 and 2.3, no change.
 

rIKmAN

Member
There seems to be something that some hosting systems do that works with GMS2 html5 games on android and desktop computers, but not with GMS2 games on iOS devices.
Btw I tried in 2.2 and 2.3, no change.
Have you tried other browsers on iOS other than Safari, like Chrome for example?

If it's specific to Safari on iOS you could try debugging it via Windows to see what errors Safari is logging.
There is a guide here on setting things up using Node.js so you can debug from your Windows desktop with the device attached, it worked fine a while back when I needed to do the same.
 
Hi everyone. I know this thread has not been posted on lately, but I figured it would be good to post a solution I found. Hopefully this doesn't violate any of the rules.

I was having the exact issue with https. Sprites looked fine when testing on Game Maker, but they were all black boxes after export. It was the same issue on several different browsers.

When testing on on server, I noticed that the web address was http instead of https. I re-entered the address as https and it worked. Evidently the sprite assets were being blocks by the web browser because the page wasn't secured by https.

Hope that helps anyone out there with similar issues :)
 

muki

Member
hey it's an OP-1!

fun little machine, I managed to get one of the first batch of 500, way back before they cost as much as they do now.
 
hey it's an OP-1!

fun little machine, I managed to get one of the first batch of 500, way back before they cost as much as they do now.
Haha yeah exactly! I actually work at teenage engineering. Cool to see one of the early OP-1 adopters in the thread!
 
Hi everyone. I know this thread has not been posted on lately, but I figured it would be good to post a solution I found. Hopefully this doesn't violate any of the rules.

I was having the exact issue with https. Sprites looked fine when testing on Game Maker, but they were all black boxes after export. It was the same issue on several different browsers.

When testing on on server, I noticed that the web address was http instead of https. I re-entered the address as https and it worked. Evidently the sprite assets were being blocks by the web browser because the page wasn't secured by https.

Hope that helps anyone out there with similar issues :)
For me the issue was with the hosting service. I used GameJolt and apparently they had issues with Safari.
 
Top