• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Graphic Quality Setting

F

Fuad

Do I need to configure additional graphic setting in GMS2? The same sprite used in GMS1.4 shows better compare to GMS2. In image below, top is run using GMS2 and bottom using GMS1.4. There are noticeable pixel at the sprite edge. It look even worst when animated.
render_quality_crop.png
The sprite look perfectly okay in room editor.
room_editor_crop.png
Appreciate any feedback on this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
How big are the images? Texture page size is limited in the trial version, so is it possible they are being scaled down? Can you preview the texture pages and see what they look like?

F

Fuad

How big are the images? Texture page size is limited in the trial version, so is it possible they are being scaled down? Can you preview the texture pages and see what they look like?
Original size : 1009 x 637 px. When no scaling done, quality is okay. The quality remain good until scale = 0.5. Scale to smaller value will effect quality. Texture pages look good.

Are these SWF or Spine sprites? Have you got interpolation on in the Game Options? Note that currently there is no AA for SWF or Spine (see here: http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/231539867-GameMaker-Studio-2-New-Functions-List )
I tried scale without interpolation and with interpolation. The problem still there. Tried enable and disable 'Interpolate colors between pixels' in Windows - Graphic Options but not much different.

DesArts

Why are you scaling it down, you're going to lose quality if you scale something down.
Your sprite has 1px thick outlines at normal scale, so scaled down it has to have 0.5 px outlines, that's why it looks weird. The room editor is just showing you what it looks like unscaled.

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Why are you scaling it down, you're going to lose quality if you scale something down.
If interpolation is on in the Game Settings then it should look okay scaled down... not great, but not like it looks just now.

DesArts

If interpolation is on in the Game Settings then it should look okay scaled down... not great, but not like it looks just now.
Yeah, but it's never going to look like the room editor image he showed. Also he's zooming his screen shots in I think so they look even worse than normal. Even his GMS1 screenshot is zoomed, he needs to show us what it looks like with interpolation turned on in GMS2.

Last edited:

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
okay, if the TPage is right, you'll need to submit it as a bug, along with the project. Cheers.

F

Fuad

Your sprite has 1px thick outlines at normal scale, so scaled down it has to have 0.5 px outlines, that's why it looks weird. The room editor is just showing you what it looks like unscaled.
I didn't scale down in sprite editor, so it retain original size in sprite editor. When object loaded in room then I scale (image_xscale = 0.3, image_yscale = 0.3). If I didn't do this, whole screen will be filled by one character only. :p What I really want is quality of graphics as good as what displayed in room editor. GMS1.4 quality in fact is better.

okay, if the TPage is right, you'll need to submit it as a bug, along with the project. Cheers.
Yes. Definitely will submit this. Thanks for kind advice.