• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Opinion GPU Recommendation

P

Piclet

I would like someone to recommend me a good one GPU for this desktop PC thanks.

Motherboard PCCHIPS P49G (V1.0)

CPU Intel® Pentium Dual -Core E5700 @ 3.00 GHz

RAM 4 GB DDR3

OS Windows 10 de 64 bits

One slot PCIe x16 v2.0

G

Guest User

i can't give any recommendation but i think it's somewhat important to know....what are you going to use it for?

big difference between the requirements of an "office computer" and a "gaming computer", for example.

P

Piclet

This pc is just for Arcade games, not fancy games like GTA V lol, just games like KOF XIII or maybe KOF XIV or SSF IV.

Currently its have a integrated GPU Intel G41 Express.

Even so. What I am saying is you will most likely get more benefit out of adding more RAM to your system than adding a new GPU. Currently, your system is being bottle-necked by 4GB RAM. Windows will want to eat all that up. It would probably be less expensive to add more RAM, too, than a new GPU.

JackTurbo

If your on a budget pick up a second hand gtx700 series. 750ti is like 30 quid on eBay.

I'd also suggest adding some more ram if possible

Bingdom

Googledom
Well, an integrated GPU is no good for any sort of gaming. Could get away with it for 2D games, but would have to run on very low settings for 3D games. They do perform well on old games, though. Does your current setup allow you to play those games you've mentioned?

If you're looking for a budget GPU, a GTX 1050 would be a good choice. (Make sure your PSU is rated 300 Watts or higher). I've heard a few stories that GPUs haven't yet fully used the bandwidth of a PCIe v2.0 x16 slot, so you should be good on that.

I have a PC with 3GB of RAM with Windows 10. Can game just fine on it. Can't play the latest games well on it though. You should be fine playing those games you've mentioned using a GTX 1050.

If you don't want to get a dedicated graphics card, simply buying more ram for your computer can possibly improve your integrated graphics card performance because they use your computer's RAM. This would be recommended for the more recent CPUs.

Buying the latest graphics card can be bottlenecked from your current setup and potentially cause incompatibility issues, so you might be better off buying an entirely new system.

I'm no computer expert, that's just my view on it.

If you're looking for a budget GPU, a GTX 1050 would be a good choice.
I just ordered one myself a few days ago, a factory overclocked one. I'm periodically checking out the window as it's currently out for delivery. It should go nicely with the new 27" gaming monitor I just picked up yesterday!

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Besides echoing some of the above points, I should add one thing. How is your current computer? Can the power supply handle the extra wattage a new GPU? Does it even have the required internal power cables(6pin, 8pin)? Does the MOBO has a free PCI-E slot? I ask these questions simply because it seems like your original PC is basically a budget/office type of thing, and it may very well not have what you need.

I ran into a similar thing, wanting to upgrade a tower I had. My power supply had enough wattage, and the MOBO had a free slot, but there wasn't a power cable to handle the GPU. This was years ago, when the NVidia 8xxx series was the thing to get. I ended up with an NVidia 8600, not because of a budget, but because it was the best thing I could get that was able to power itself only off the PCI-E slot, not needing separate power.

I ran into a similar thing, wanting to upgrade a tower I had. My power supply had enough wattage, and the MOBO had a free slot, but there wasn't a power cable to handle the GPU. This was years ago, when the NVidia 8xxx series was the thing to get. I ended up with an NVidia 8600, not because of a budget, but because it was the best thing I could get that was able to power itself only off the PCI-E slot, not needing separate power.
Why didn't you just get a new PSU as well?

O

odealo

Just get some RAM, and any non-integrated nvidia card will do the job. Just enter your price range on any online shop, filter by popularity/rating and buy top one

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Why didn't you just get a new PSU as well?
Primarily because I didn't feel like messing with it when the GPU I ended up with was going to be good enough anyway. In honesty, if I had needed a beefier machine, I would have gotten it beefier from the start instead of going cheap and doing the GPU upgrade.

Roa

Even so. What I am saying is you will most likely get more benefit out of adding more RAM to your system than adding a new GPU. Currently, your system is being bottle-necked by 4GB RAM. Windows will want to eat all that up. It would probably be less expensive to add more RAM, too, than a new GPU.
doubt it, windows 10 is extremely good at scaling back. Its designed around tablets and actually uses less leg-spread room than windows 7. Also, that's not what bottle necked means. Its a limitation the OS understands, simply opting for lower budgeting on ram, or using swap space. A bottleneck is when one piece of hardware is capping out or limiting another piece of hardware.

General rule of thumb is "get the fastest, biggest and most powerful that you can afford". :)
That's actually terrible advise in this particular case, because the system wouldn't be able to buss fast enough for something beyond a low, and entry mid range. Putting a gt1050 on this thing is pushing its luck honestly. If you want to see an actual bottleneck that's how you do it. IE: Putting a gtx1060 on this would destroy the CPU and make the system unstable and unusable in actual games because you would be spending all the CPU time simply feeding the card, and not leaving anything else left for the actual game,which there is already not much there to work with. So you actually get worse frame rates with a higher end card than you would something half is strength.

I would like someone to recommend me a good one GPU for this desktop PC thanks.

Motherboard PCCHIPS P49G (V1.0)

CPU Intel® Pentium Dual -Core E5700 @ 3.00 GHz

RAM 4 GB DDR3

OS Windows 10 de 64 bits

One slot PCIe x16 v2.0
I wouldn't go any higher than a gtx1050 honestly. You should probably aim for the 80-100 dollar AMD section, something that doesn't require 6pin power.

doubt it, windows 10 is extremely good at scaling back. Its designed around tablets and actually uses less leg-spread room than windows 7. Also, that's not what bottle necked means. Its a limitation the OS understands, simply opting for lower budgeting on ram, or using swap space. A bottleneck is when one piece of hardware is capping out or limiting another piece of hardware.
Well, since the system in question is using an on-board GPU (not dedicated), then it is going to share system RAM. If that RAM is being used, scaled back or not, by the OS, then there is less for the on-board video to use or vice versa. So, yes, less RAM can bottle neck the system in this case. But why quibble about my choice of words? It's simple. More RAM would free allow not only the OS to utilize more, but the on-board GPU as well. Since RAM is one of the fastest parts of the computer, then this would generally speed up just about everything the computer is doing (less swapping, etc., more important stuff in actual, physical RAM, etc.).

Roa

Well, since the system in question is using an on-board GPU (not dedicated), then it is going to share system RAM. If that RAM is being used, scaled back or not, by the OS, then there is less for the on-board video to use or vice versa. So, yes, less RAM can bottle neck the system in this case. But why quibble about my choice of words? It's simple. More RAM would free allow not only the OS to utilize more, but the on-board GPU as well. Since RAM is one of the fastest parts of the computer, then this would generally speed up just about everything the computer is doing (less swapping, etc., more important stuff in actual, physical RAM, etc.).
Its just a choice of words that irritate me, because its used in false context far too much.

if the memory in question is shared, then it has already been pooled for the igpu. None of these use more than 512mb, most dont pass 96mb and its largely only used for the screen buffer. If a game needs memory it dumps to system memory. Most texture pages are dumped to system memory for swaps anyways. Its the buss trip back and forth that bogs it down. Shared memory is still faster than lack of discrete video memory, because its being bused directly to the cpu. On top of that, the igpu is stored on chip, so you share thermal footprint with the CPU, effectively putting all eggs in one basket.

So with a discrete card, you not only free the system memory,
but you free the CPU's total package load,
the thermals, allowing more work to be done,
you spend less time busing, leading to less stutter,
plus you get the benefits of a dedicated GPU processor, like modern shader work.

Ram always helps, but for gaming, the clear winning choice here is a GPU.

Bingdom

Googledom
Does it even have the required internal power cables(6pin, 8pin)?
something that doesn't require 6pin power.
I've looked into this. The 1050 does not require a 6pin connecter if you're not going to buy a factory overclocked one, doesnt have "gaming" in it's name (not sure what the difference is) and if you don't plan on overclocking it. Just make sure you find the one that says it requires 75Watts because the pcie can provide that much on its own.

I wouldn't go any higher than a gtx1050 honestly. You should probably aim for the 80-100 dollar AMD section, something that doesn't require 6pin power.
That sounds like a better idea.

Last edited:
It's a fine balance, Roa. And while I certainly think the OP would definitely receive a benefit from a dedicated GPU (dedicated is always better than on-board), with his system there will still be slow-downs due to the OP only having 4GB RAM. Not everything is loaded into the GPU's RAM, right? A lot is going to be thrown at the system RAM and Windows will use it as much as it possibly can (for itself and for any program that is open). If the OS can fit "all of itself" into RAM to run faster, it will. If not, it will put what's pertinent in RAM and swap in/out what's needed on the fly. Which system would run faster/more smoothly? The one where Windows has sufficient RAM. There's a lot of hand shaking going on and it's better to have the CPU zinging along doing it's job instead of waiting for data to be passed to it.

Its just a choice of words that irritate me, because its used in false context far too much.
Actually, I used the term "bottle neck" correctly according to how it is commonly used today. The idea here is to communicate and I did. According to some definitions, it is specifically used, and quite frequently, for issues that slow down computing. Which was my intended use. It may not be the "perfect" definition of the phrase, but it is the common understanding of it.

Last edited:

Roa

It's a fine balance, Roa. And while I certainly think the OP would definitely receive a benefit from a dedicated GPU (dedicated is always better than on-board), with his system there will still be slow-downs due to the OP only having 4GB RAM. Not everything is loaded into the GPU's RAM, right? A lot is going to be thrown at the system RAM and Windows will use it as much as it possibly can (for itself and for any program that is open). If the OS can fit "all of itself" into RAM to run faster, it will. If not, it will put what's pertinent in RAM and swap in/out what's needed on the fly. Which system would run faster/more smoothly? The one where Windows has sufficient RAM. There's a lot of hand shaking going on and it's better to have the CPU zinging along doing it's job instead of waiting for data to be passed to it.

Actually, I used the term "bottle neck" correctly according to how it is commonly used today. The idea here is to communicate and I did. According to some definitions, it is specifically used, and quite frequently, for issues that slow down computing. Which was my intended use. It may not be the "perfect" definition of the phrase, but it is the common understanding of it.
I know how ram works. I also happen to know how the windows OS scales with it. Too bad load times isn't what the OP was asking for. He was asking for graphic ability, and given you can instantly release the system memory for the addition of the vram, it should be fine. If you read the thread, you would know he is asking about games where he is already at/above the recommended ram requirements.

I know how ram works. I also happen to know how the windows OS scales with it. Too bad load times isn't what the OP was asking for. He was asking for graphic ability, and given you can instantly release the system memory for the addition of the vram, it should be fine. If you read the thread, you would know he is asking about games where he is already at/above the recommended ram requirements.
This will be my last post. So, feel free to add what you like. However, since the OP wants to mainly play "arcade games" (his words) these games (like all games) do not JUST rely on the GPU, but on the CPU and RAM, too. Getting more system RAM will SPEED UP HIS ENTIRE SYSTEM, allowing for more data to be stored in the ultra-fast RAM so the CPU is not waiting on data to process, etc. Getting more system RAM would also provide more RAM to be used by the OP's on-board GPU, too. And since adding a few sticks of RAM would most likely be less expensive than a dedicated video card, system RAM would be the least expensive way to speed up both his games AND his entire system at the same time.

Getting a new video card would definitely help the OP's gaming experience on their PC. However, the low amount of RAM would still potentially throttle games as data crunching is happening, too (no matter how well Windows 10 now scales). More system RAM would improve the overall performance of the entire system, including the on-board GPU. So, for a lesser price, the OP can have a better running PC overall AND a better gaming experience.

Heck, if possible, the OP should do both. There is no reason to run only 4 GB of system RAM. None ... unless the motherboard only supports 4GB ...

Last edited:

Roa

This will be my last post. So, feel free to add what you like. However, since the OP wants to mainly play "arcade games" (his words) these games (like all games) do not JUST rely on the GPU, but on the CPU and RAM, too. Getting more system RAM will SPEED UP HIS ENTIRE SYSTEM, allowing for more data to be stored in the ultra-fast RAM so the CPU is not waiting on data to process, etc. Getting more system RAM would also provide more RAM to be used by the OP's on-board GPU, too. And since adding a few sticks of RAM would most likely be less expensive than a dedicated video card, system RAM would be the least expensive way to speed up both his games AND his entire system at the same time.

Getting a new video card would definitely help the OP's gaming experience on their PC. However, the low amount of RAM would still potentially throttle games as data crunching is happening, too (no matter how well Windows 10 now scales). More system RAM would improve the overall performance of the entire system, including the on-board GPU. So, for a lesser price, the OP can have a better running PC overall AND a better gaming experience.

Heck, if possible, the OP should do both. There is no reason to run only 4 GB of system RAM. None ... unless the motherboard only supports 4GB ...
I don't know why you insist on repeating yourself. He meets the ram requirements, he doesn't meet the GPU requirements. Its literally that simple.

Ram is the most forgiving and scale-able resource in your computer. His gaming experience at its worst will have long load times. If you try to play a game where the min requirements is 8 gigs, you might see some stuttering with certain settings on. He is not running those larger games in the first place. It doesn't throttle speeds as the game gets all of its request allotted space a the cost of background programs being paged, and the only way it speeds up system as a whole is if it caches most used programs for start. Which, again, isn't what he is asking for.

If he could afford both, he wouldn't be running a gutted Pentium. He clearly cant and is looking for the biggest bang for buck. Ram is great an all and I don't recommend below 8 gigs, but its not the thing that currently limiting him.

Its not even debatable that a GPU opens up for more doors and frees system resources all around.