1. Hey! Guest! The 33rd GMC Jam will take place between May 23rd, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon) and May 27th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

GMS 2 GPU pixel perfect collision with shader?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Miradur, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Miradur

Miradur Member

Hello, I found an interesting article here, but unfortunately my talent is not enough for programming,
    nor for good English.

http://fileadmin.cs.lth.se/graphics/theses/projects/gpucd/report.pdf

If I understand that correctly, you could use shader for a pixel-perfect collision or also for a destructible area.
    Only a black/white mask is queried, so you could test an entire room for collision with the player, by a negative
    mask (black) of the game elements. In destructible terrain, I simply draw with black on a white background and
    only the white part is rendered.

Is this already available for GameMaker or is it not possible at all? Because I didn't find anything to do with it.

Miradur

2. dannyjenn

dannyjenn Member

I didn't read it over, but I think I understand what you're talking about. I guess the purpose of using a shader would be to increase the performance (shaders use the GPU rather than the CPU, and I'd think they'd be pretty fast for this sort of thing). I am actually not sure if anyone has ever done this in GameMaker. Sounds like an interesting idea though.