• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker GPU pixel perfect collision with shader?

Miradur

Hello, I found an interesting article here, but unfortunately my talent is not enough for programming,
nor for good English.

http://fileadmin.cs.lth.se/graphics/theses/projects/gpucd/report.pdf

If I understand that correctly, you could use shader for a pixel-perfect collision or also for a destructible area.
Only a black/white mask is queried, so you could test an entire room for collision with the player, by a negative
mask (black) of the game elements. In destructible terrain, I simply draw with black on a white background and
only the white part is rendered.

Is this already available for GameMaker or is it not possible at all? Because I didn't find anything to do with it.

Miradur

D

dannyjenn

I didn't read it over, but I think I understand what you're talking about. I guess the purpose of using a shader would be to increase the performance (shaders use the GPU rather than the CPU, and I'd think they'd be pretty fast for this sort of thing). I am actually not sure if anyone has ever done this in GameMaker. Sounds like an interesting idea though.