• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Got into the beta, here's my initial impressions

Hyomoto

I'm just going to jump right in and say overall I'm really into this new UI. It's different enough to cause me some hiccups here and there but I'm shocked at how quickly I am adapting to the changes. The ability to rapidly move between different tasks is a godsend. I haven't gotten around to messing with multiple work spaces much since the transition between them can be a bit jarring, but I'm sure as I get more accustomed to them that will fade. The visual scripting, heck, even just being able to switching between event tabs is awesome and a huge workflow improvement! I also love you can start a GML project and it opens straight to a code window when you pick an event! My only initial suggestion is that it would be nice if when you closed windows that it could bring everything below it up to fill in the gap, and you should be able to mouse scroll while dragging windows.

Oh, and speaking of code: the new scope highlighting is awesome. You guys completely outdid yourself with the new code editor and I have near-all praise to heap on it so far. A minor niggle is the syntax updating is a bit slow, something I assume will improve over time, but even if it doesn't, that is a tiny issue compared to the sheer improved power this thing brings to bear. The fact that you can see if a variable scope is local, instance or global coupled with auto-complete? Seriously, I'd buy the upgrade nearly JUST for this improved editor. It's great to have all this information and control at your finger-tips without flicking through window stacks or dragging things around, it's a great presentation.

I tried out the new room editor a little, but I generally code in such a way I've never really used it anyways so I apologize for not having some more feedback here. I did notice it seems like you've streamlined some of the interactions. There aren't a dozen 'clear with background color' items to uncheck, and it seems that it's now off by default which I approve of.

I also dabbled in the new image editor, but while it's functionally similar it will take a while to get used to the changes. I find it funny out of all the new UI, the image editor is the thing that I need more time with. It took me like five minutes to figure out how to resize the sprite (it was terribly easy, I'm just an idiot it seems) but it goes to show that out of everything I've touched so far the image editor feels the most different. Based on the videos I'm guessing that's one hundred percent true. Since I haven't played with it's advanced features I can't say whether or not I like it, but I will say that I definitely welcome all the added tools. I usually have Photoshop CS5 as part of my workflow mostly because of it's use of layers, so it'll be interesting to see how the new image editor stacks up. Photoshop is often like swatting a fly with a hammer with some of the edits I make.

Unfortunately, and as expected I suppose, I found a small bug pretty quickly, but I'm not sure where the tracker is so I can report it. You are taking bug submissions right now, right? Mine is pretty basic, if you declare a var as part of a for loop, GM2 treats it as a variable rather than a local variable. Considering how awesome the scoping is, that's a troublesome bug.

As a little feedback, I think the resource tree could use a little tweaking. Maybe it's just because I'm SO used to the old one, but the icons are larger than their text and it makes your list feel a bit more too open and unused, and considering we may have projects with large numbers of resources, that unused real estate could become a bit of a nuisance in an UI that is otherwise so inviting. I'll have to keep an eye on it as I use it more, maybe this is just a culture shock.

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Unfortunately, and as expected I suppose, I found a small bug pretty quickly, but I'm not sure where the tracker is so I can report it. You are taking bug submissions right now, right?
Yep, file it! Go to Help > File A Bug in the IDE. :)

Hyomoto

Excellent, reported. In the time between I found a documentation error which I also submitted. I was already excited for the new array and ternary operators, but I see why you guys focused on the IDE changes. I'm really enjoying this and I'm excited to be a part of the beta!

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
vars declared inside a script are scoped to the whole function, not just inside the loop. So no matter where you declare it, it's scope is the whole function. This is the same as GMS 1.x.

As long as that variable isn't being made an INSTANCE variable, then it's as designed.

Hyomoto

vars declared inside a script are scoped to the whole function, not just inside the loop. So no matter where you declare it, it's scope is the whole function. This is the same as GMS 1.x.

As long as that variable isn't being made an INSTANCE variable, then it's as designed.
I understand that, the problem is if you declare:
Code:
var _i;
for ( _i = 0; _i < 1; _i++ ) { }
The code editor will highlight it as yellow. If you declare:
Code:
for ( var _i = 0; _i < 1; _i++ ) {}
It will be highlighted blue. So either the code editor is working as intended and the program isn't, or the program is working normally and the code editor is not. I'm fairly sure it's the second one since it works properly everywhere else.

Also, gotta heap a bit more praise on you guys. GM2 fits like a glove and I outside of some bugs I've reported, it's just awesome so far.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Thanks for that... I fixed that this afternoon, just a minor issue I overlooked, should be in next public build

Russell