• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Google play Services Extension 2 different rewarded ads support?

Juanla

Hello. I have working an interstitial in my game without problems. Now, I was implementing rewarded video for items and lifes. But the Google play services has only this methods for rewarded ads:

GoogleMobileAds_LoadRewardedVideo(Ad id)
GoogleMobileAds_RewardedVideoStatus() -- Return "Ready/Not Ready"
GoogleMobileAds_ShowRewardedVideo -- Shows the add if ready

Problem is that I can't choose what ad show of my 2 loaded ads (items and lifes).

If an user had load the items ad (because their item count is 0) and then dies without use it. My game will confuse when I make an Showxxx call because i can choose the desired ad.

What do you make to bypass this solution. I am thinking about a flag and use an unique rewarded id.

chirpy

If I understood correctly, GMS2's ads extension currently only supports loading and showing of 1 single ad unit for each of { interstitial, rewarded, banner } ads format. If you called LoadRewardedVideo twice, only the one that's received later is stored, and the previous one is discarded without being used.
This makes it difficult to design different lengths of ads for different rewards, but we can only live with it or write/modify the extension, or use another extension that supports multiple ad units of the same format.

only the one that's received later is stored, and the previous one is discarded without being used
Hi chirpy, I just stumbled upon this older post because I'm dealing with a similar problem - if I understand correctly, does it mean that if I load the ad once, it will stay as the "loaded" one until next one is loaded succesfully? That would be actually cool... :)

The reason I'm asking is that I want to use two different rewarded ad units - one with "expensive" high-floor eCPM, and one without eCPM floor as a "cheap" back-up option. So I could probably load the cheap one without eCPM floor first (that one basically always fills) and after that, try to load the "expensive" one to try and overwrite the cheap one, because high-floor ads earn more but only fill in like 50% of cases. So in an ideal case - normal ad would be loaded to make sure at least something is shown, and then attempt to load high-floor one - if there is no high-floor ad available, it simply wouldn't load and the original no-floor ad would still show...

chirpy

The old rewarded ads can probably be cached (load once and it stays there), yes. I'm not sure for how long though (or whether it ever gets invalidated).
However, Google had moved on to new rewarded ads APIs; I've lost track on YYG's implementation status for quite a while now, since I maintain my own implementation for convenience. You may have better luck using other paid extensions that are .. more up-to-date.

The 2 rewarded ad units you described sounds like a custom in-app "waterfall" setup. I had been displaying short interstitials and rewarded ads in a similar manner, so yeah theoretically it could work. Although for each ad units I've been using Google's optimized fills to compete against other mediation network's offers, so I honestly don't know how Google-only setups work. In my limited experience (some research results also said so), Google would just never give me competitively priced ads unless there are other ad providers, which kinda makes sense.

All said, Google had moved on to open bidding and I'm no longer sure how waterfalls work now (I wasn't ever sure to be honest).

You may have better luck using other paid extensions that are .. more up-to-date.
Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look at the marketplace - so far, the default implementation has worked fine for me, but having experimented with the AdMob eCPM floor settings, it seems like there really is a lot of room for improvement, and not experimenting with various providers and models can easily mean leaving a lot of money on the table :)

The 2 rewarded ad units you described sounds like a custom in-app "waterfall" setup.
Yes, that's basically what I'm trying to achieve, although in a very un-sophisticated way - but at least on my device, it seems to be working fine so far. Time for a real-life test :)