• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Google Play Services extension 2.5 adding permissions

Just updated to the newest GPS extension (2.5) via the marketplace.

It seems to be adding the following 2 permissions to the app when I publish to the Play Store:

android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE
com.google.android.c2dm.permission.RECEIVE

Anyone know how to solve this? I checked the permissions requested by the extension in the android tab, but nothing is listed there. Only Internet is checked in global game settings. I'm only using the extension for ads.

Any ideas, much appreciated! Downgraded back to 2.4 for now.

zbox

GMC Elder
It probably needs them to function? I wouldn't worry about it they are pretty innocuous permissions

no, it doesn't.

the app doesnt need the network state because admob fails gracefully if there's no net connection and that's the only thing the app uses connectivity for.

c2dm doesn't even exist anymore - it was deprecated 4 years ago and discontinued last October. it makes zero sense for it to suddenly appear in this extension.

BTW, in Android publishing, nothing is innocuous. Users are extremely fickle and things like a few extra megabytes or unnecessary permissions WILL cost you installs. Also adding permissions can cause auto-updates to fail if the permissions are in a new group.

Last edited:
Update to this:

I just noticed that the device itself does not report these permissions, but the Play Store does. Very strange.

SnoutUp

Does anyone know if this com.google.android.c2dm.permission.RECEIVE permission blocks auto-update of the applications or not? I'm super annoyed right now, since I couldn't find how to remove it and I had to update the game fast, but adding new permissions can require update confirmation from users, which is not desirable.