Opinion GOODBYE REP METTERS

S

Snail Man

Negative rep is gone, but there are still "likes" which serve as positive reputation

K

Keano

eh, There should be no reason you have negative rep in the first place but there is still "Likes" which works the same i guess some what. The Rep kinda made the forum a bit more interesting lol

Roa

I don't think it should effect your total rep on your profile, but being able to clearly see yourself being down repped on individual post was a good thing. It lets you know that maybe you are not approaching the situation in the best way and maybe you should take a step back and think about it vs people just typing their distaste for a given situation. It was a pretty good form of communication. And a little tough love never hurts.

R

roytheshort

But without Negative Rep how are the members with Social Justice Warrior tendencies going to punish those who don't fall in line with their way of thinking?
I've been through this, likes are actually more worthless due to an Unlike option. So you can just like ALL THE MEMBER'S POSTS and then Unlike them all when they say something you disagree with.

R

roytheshort

I wasn't being sarcastic. I really think it's a great idea, the italics just means that the words, like myself, fall slightly to the side in appreciation of your really really great and not bad idea that really isn't bad.

A

Aura

there is still "Likes" which works the same i guess some what
It's quite different. Two main reasons. First, it doesn't have negative reputation/dislike. Second, liking a status update (profile post) increases the total likes counter. I'm fine with the first one. But second one is unnecessary and discriminatory.

That's because people who are active in the status updates are likely to get more likes (it's already started) than the people who are active in the forums. Most people judge you by your reputation, so it's kinda misleading.

@Nocture: Maybe we should remove the "Like" option from the status updates or remove its property to increase the total likes counter.

K

Keano

It's quite different. Two main reasons. First, it doesn't have negative reputation/dislike. Second, liking a status update (profile post) increases the total likes counter. I'm fine with the first one. But second one is unnecessary and discriminatory.

That's because people who are active in the status updates are likely to get more likes (it's already started) than the people who are active in the forums. Most people judge you by your reputation, so it's kinda misleading.

@Nocture: Maybe we should remove the "Like" option from the status updates or remove its property to increase the total likes counter.
Your right, didn't really get into the difference of the both but it does kinda suck that the likes counter goes up from people liking status's too.

L

Law

The total likes counter didn't really have much say in your worth as a member of the forum. Just look at Roy.

or here is an idea.

lets put a nomination button in the corner for "worst post" and every week or two we gather them all together into a virtual fish in a barrel arena on the forum and let those respective members run around on screen.

then we gather everyone else together and give them a giant cross hairs which all of them control (the average of all the people moves turning into the behavior of the crosshairs as a whole) and we proceed to shoot the worst of the offenders.

the one with the most hits ends up with a special little hat on there forum icon which will stay there until the next competition occurs where its handed off to the next one.

that way we dont need reputation, instead we can exhault the absurd, insane and hilarious things people way with a commendation. :)

RekNepZ

GMC Historian
or here is an idea.

lets put a nomination button in the corner for "worst post" and every week or two we gather them all together into a virtual fish in a barrel arena on the forum and let those respective members run around on screen.

then we gather everyone else together and give them a giant cross hairs which all of them control (the average of all the people moves turning into the behavior of the crosshairs as a whole) and we proceed to shoot the worst of the offenders.

the one with the most hits ends up with a special little hat on there forum icon which will stay there until the next competition occurs where its handed off to the next one.

that way we dont need reputation, instead we can exhault the absurd, insane and hilarious things people way with a commendation. :)
As much as I love that idea, Nocturne is pretty strongly against name-and-shaming for some reason.:rolleyes:

A

Aura

As much as I love that idea, Nocturne is pretty strongly against name-and-shaming for some reason.:rolleyes:
Any sensible person would hate that. No matter how absurd or rude a person is, we have no right to insult him. That does great damage to one's self esteem. Everybody deserves a second chance after all.

oh come on, its a classic college game, get drunk, draw cross hairs on the tv screen (hopefully not permanent) and then randomly scream out "BANG" when someone walks through the scope on screen, everyone taking a drink if their person was the one who got shot. :)

but serious it would be fun if we could give eachothers icons little hats.

T

Toni

My issue with negative rep is that you can't see your actual amount of positive rep anymore, after they implemented it. Unlike on YouTube where you can see your Likes and Dislikes equally. The system this forum has right now works pretty well. You can see all of your positive likes just as normal, and if anyone decides they hate you after the fact they can just unlike all of your stuff that they've liked. That's fine too. Un-Uprepping is now a thing. ... Though I know a lot of you people with zero hand-eye-coordination wanted an Un-Derep button because of your misclicking. Pff, morons.

B

Braffolk

The fact that you can like statuses, and each and every comment within those updates, along with spamming such comments, makes the new like/reputation system completely useless if you're looking at the total amount of likes, it's now reduced to a mere per-post functionality.
You're wrong. The new system is best. It's great. It doesn't discriminate against the opressed minority on the GMC that preffers Unity over Game Maker. It's a great thing honestly.

Like I would've got tons of negative rep for saying that unity is great, which it is.

B

Braffolk

I never commented the lack of negative rep, so what am I wrong about?
You said the new system is bad. I disagree.
It's the best.

Edit: The only thing they should change is that we can like our own posts like on facebook.

Reactions: Yal
B

Braffolk

How is a system where a value can be easily altered to a much higher value trough spam any good, when the entire point of such a system is to give a fair representation of how many many likes their legit posts have received.
What's a legit post`?

B

Braffolk

The only thing close to it was off-topic, which is not bad at all compared to statuses and their comments.

Posts where people may actually care of someone likes them, in other words not spammy comments on a status.
Wow are you seriously saying that my status updates are lower than off topic posts? That's discriminatory.

R

roytheshort

The only thing close to it was off-topic, which is not bad at all compared to statuses and their comments.

Posts where people may actually care of someone likes them, in other words not spammy comments on a status.
Again, you could still post stupid stuff on the old GMC and get points.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Rockyfelle, you're implying people care about likes? :p

...we all know the only important number is post count.

R

roytheshort

The only important number is IQ, and some shady guy sold me some mystery pills which will double my IQ of negative three! This can't go wrong!

R

roytheshort

Everyone dies, Rockyfelle. Live in the moment and waste your life in the now!

B

Braffolk

How can you waste your life in the past or the future if there only is now?

R

roytheshort

How can you waste your life in the past or the future if there only is now?
Exactly, you don't. If you always waste your life in the moment it will never have been wasted and it never will be wasted!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
If you recycle your life in the moment, it never will have been wasted.

B

Braffolk

Only the weak live meaningful lives! The strong push against their urges to take the max out of life. Only the strongest can survive being super lazy and wasting everything.