• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Good ways of getting your game publicity?

M

mrjonwc

Preferably mobile iOS or android games. Has anyone had any success on this or know any strategies for getting your game attention? Right now I'm using Twitter, it's working so far people are becoming interested in my game. But for people like me with no big fan base or followers how can I get more attention for my game?

Genetix

Well.... there was the time that the Call of Duty tweeted out a fake terrorist attack... That definitely got them attention, maybe not for the best though.

I'd say create a beautiful trailer or screenshot that shows off something unique/special about your game (Your game does have unique elements to it that would stand out from the trillion other games available right?) and share it everywhere - Twitter, facebook, Google Communities, etc. Send it to Rock Paper Shotgun, and all the other hip gaming sites (Yikes, I am old....)

And feel free to share it here (in the correct section of course)!

C

ConsolCWBY

But for people like me with no big fan base or followers how can I get more attention for my game?
@Aura 's advice is the best - read it, learn it, live it.
@Genetix 's advice is the same thing. It's not rocket science or compiler design - you gotta get out there and pound some pavement (virtually speaking of course). Try some small IOS review blogs - correspond with them. It's not like a "if you build it they will come" sort of thing. And your not stuck in the shareware hell of the 80s and 90s. The only thing I can tell you is the only thing a programmer hates to hear: Schmooze. ;)

C

CzarSquid

When it comes to advertising is all about giving what the people want. You need to give them a reason to play your game. They need to see your game worth their time to download and play. If you can't spark interest with your game either the idea is not what they want or it hasn't been presented to them in a meaningful way.

I'm guessing your 'How to be a Zombie' app in your signature is the one you want people to buy/play. I'm going to say it bluntly, it looks amateur and not something that stands outs from the billions of other apps on phones. I'm a twenty something old man so I might not be your target audience. Knowing who you are trying to market to is part of the problem that you need to figure out.

Genetix

Actually, call me old-fashioned but that style of top down graphics looks good and fun... That being said, I'm not given any clue from the screens I see on your Twitter about the actual gameplay mechanics or any kind of hook. (The title may be an attempt at it...) So I don't mind the graphics at all - I love them, but i've seen a million top down shooter zombie games - why should I play yours?

That is not to be harsh, it is a question that you - and every developer must ask and answer.

J

jackhigh24

well in my case i tried everything covered in
but got no where, so instead i went against what nocturne says here

Be Realistic:
Don't think that IGN or one of the other major networks will be interested in your game right from the start. They might be but it's highly unlikely. Instead, focus on smaller indie-friendly networks and once you get some coverage from them you can set your sights on the big guns in the industry.

and i targeted the big boys, low and behold they took the bate, but i did do research on them all and picked the one i knew i could give a catchy title on my email to them that they would personally find interesting, so id say try everything you can even if you others think you have no chance.

M

mrjonwc

Actually, call me old-fashioned but that style of top down graphics looks good and fun... That being said, I'm not given any clue from the screens I see on your Twitter about the actual gameplay mechanics or any kind of hook. (The title may be an attempt at it...) So I don't mind the graphics at all - I love them, but i've seen a million top down shooter zombie games - why should I play yours?

That is not to be harsh, it is a question that you - and every developer must ask and answer.
Thanks for that! Some people don't mind the graphics, others hate it and don't give the game a chance! Lol. My apps strong point isn't the graphics but the gameplay rather. It puts you in the shoes of the zombie, I thought it would be a unique idea as I don't see it being done that often!

Thank you all for your ideas they are very informative and is exactly what I was looking for lol.

J

jackhigh24

apples app store is going to die in the next few years if they stick with their current policy, for example 2 years ago they decided that when they feel they have to many of a certain type of app, they lock it down so no one can submit a new app of that category any more, which will do two things, it facilitates a monopoly for those apps that got on there before they banned any more submission and it stagnates there app store for those categories, so in a few more years apples store will be locked out to anything new unless its a totally new category, up to now i think its fart apps, belch apps, flash light apps and karma sutra apps that got banned from submission over the last 2 years.