Good volume level?

MaxLos

Hihi,

So in the few years I've been using Gamemaker, I've only really made a bunch of prototype games. They all were usually just limited to one playtest room before I moved on to something else, so I never bothered to adding sound effects and music. I've decided to trying adding some sounds and music to my next project and was wondering what everyone's opinion is on a 'good volume level', for lack of a better term. What I mean by that is things like: what's the lowest level should your computer's speaker volume should be where you can hear the game's audio nice and clearly? What would be an unreasonable level to force players to put their computer's speaker volume at to hear the game's sounds? Stuff like that. I plan have some options in-game where the player can change the volume themselves, but some estimates of what I should base my initial volume off of would be nice. Thanks!

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
I have this problem as well, where I hear a sound fine, everyone I show it too says the volume is way to loud, then if I change it it becomes to quiet

MaxLos

I have this problem as well, where I hear a sound fine, everyone I show it too says the volume is way to loud, then if I change it it becomes to quiet
Yeaah, that's what I'm trying to avoid xD

I haven't seen it a lot in newer games, but in a few older ones I played they would allow you to increase the volume for all the sounds/music. What I mean by that is all the sound effects and music would initially be imported kinda loud but rather than having all the preset volume settings at 100% and only allowing you to make it quieter, it would start at 50% and you could increase it up to 100% to make it as loud as it initially was. So that's one way off the top of my head, if it's too quiet for player's they could just turn it up in game rather than increasing their speaker volume