HTML5 Göldun - A fauxmicom game

Fpeg

Hello! I wanted to share a game me my friend made during a Game Jam (NES Jam by NEStalgia Podcast) on itch.io last week!

It's an action platformer that draws inspiration from from games such as Castlevania, Ghosts and Goblins. Ias mentioned it's a fauxmicom game, meaning it tries to resemble a Famicom, or NES game. Once you try it you'll realise that it obviously isn't heeding the limitations of an actual NES, but it's close enough for nostalgia, at least so I hope :)

You can play game in the browser or download it here:

K12gamer

Smooth control and animation, good music and character design.

Kinda wish I could throw upward / diagonal...to get the dudes who throw downwards / diagonal at me.

gnysek

How was that effect with fade-in/fade-off was made in intro? It's a shader which removes some colors, or they are just a separate sprites? It's a good piece of art and work!

sv3nxd

That's a really well-crafted game. Had a lot of fun!
I'm really fond of the old NES palette and how well it's implemented here.
The gameplay felt really nice too!

Fpeg

How was that effect with fade-in/fade-off was made in intro? It's a shader which removes some colors, or they are just a separate sprites? It's a good piece of art and work!
Sorry for the late reply :) But yeah, it's just separate sprites. Would be cool to use a shader for stuff like that (especially for fade-in/out during levels and not only during cutscenes). Though, this game was made during a Game Jam I didn't have time to implement something like that. ^^

Smooth control and animation, good music and character design.

Kinda wish I could throw upward / diagonal...to get the dudes who throw downwards / diagonal at me.
Actually, the Sword can do that :p It's never explained in game though and you only get it after having already played for a while with the weapons that can't do that, so can't blame you for missing it xD (Gotta play the game jam excuse card for this one too).