• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows GMStudio2 won't even run

obscene

Run GM2 and nothing happens.

- I've went through all the gpedit.msc nonsense mentioned in this article. I've added paths for every folder I could find that had anything to do with GM. No change.

- I've disabled firewall.

- I've disabled every windows security setting I can find.

- I've disabled internet.

- I've tried compatibility modes.

- My log file is empty. I deleted it to realize GM isn't even writing to it. I deleted everything in the ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2 file just to see if that would clear it up.

- I've deleted everything I can find relating to GM. appdata. roaming. Wherever I see GM I hit delete. (Remember when a fricking program was a few files in a folder you could put wherever you want? What happened to that?)

The only thing that fixes it is an uninstall/reinstall cycle. This is why I typically just leave GMS2 running for weeks at a time. But still this is getting old.

What version are you running? Are you using the Beta, or the Stable? If it is the Beta, you need to be on the latestr version (2.2.2.412 I think it is) as the previous versions seem to have some sort of limited amount of time that they run for (it is mentioned in the 2.2.2 sticky topic). Although, I have not run the 412 version for a few days, so maybe that has also expired.

rIKmAN

What version are you running? Are you using the Beta, or the Stable? If it is the Beta, you need to be on the latestr version (2.2.2.412 I think it is) as the previous versions seem to have some sort of limited amount of time that they run for (it is mentioned in the 2.2.2 sticky topic). Although, I have not run the 412 version for a few days, so maybe that has also expired.
412 still working fine here, so can confirm it hasn't (as yet) expired.

obscene

I was on the beta, but not sure which version. But I would assume if the runtime expired surely the IDE would still launch. I mean, I couldn't do anything whatsoever. I uninstalled / reinstalled again (this time no beta).

I was on the beta, but not sure which version. But I would assume if the runtime expired surely the IDE would still launch.
It's not the runtime that expires. It is the IDE that expires, so it does not load at all when you try to launch it. I would go and get the latest version (412) and install that.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Why in the sam hell would they make an IDE that expires and causes you have to uninstall/reinstall without warning?
Well, it's a Beta, isn't it? :p

Facetious comments aside, the YoYo Games office recently moved and after setting up all the build machines again something changed and built the EXE wrong. Due to the nature of the error, it wasn't discovered until there were releases to the beta channel. So, either update to the latest beta, or roll back to the current stable.

Q

QatariGameDev

It's the new GMS2 James Bond Licence.

Only costs $4.99 but it self destructs after a week.
LOL, I was wondering what wrong with GMS2 IDE yesterday since it has the beta version, I thought it's required to have an internet to launch.