Asset - Extension GMSSimpleMIDI, control instruments with Gamemaker and control games with MIDI devices

I just published my first asset, GMSSimpleMIDI. It lets you send and receive MIDI messages in Gamemaker Studio, letting you make musical sequencers or arpeggiators with Gamemaker, or control your games with MIDI hardware controllers. It's on the marketplace and itch.io, and the source for the DLL itself is freely available on Github if anyone wants to recompile it for use with OSX or Ubuntu - it should work right out the box with either. I also made a quick demo with the extension, of a simple arpeggiator that receives MIDI notes and clock (or uses an internal clock) and transmits notes. It's a weird overlap of electronic music and game creation that I'm not sure too many people would be interested in, but I'm happy to answer any questions about it!

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I can provide a basic api to complement this asset allowing playback of actual midi files. Feel free to contact me if you are interested. I already wrote all the code necessary it is just a matter of renaming the functions. I am also happy to compile binaries for you but the github link is dead.

obscene

I have absolutely no practical use for this but I'm definitely about to waste a whole weekend building a sampler in Gamemaker just for fun. I mean why not allow players to plug a midi keyboard into your game and play along with the soundtrack.

I can provide a basic api to complement this asset allowing playback of actual midi files. Feel free to contact me if you are interested. I already wrote all the code necessary it is just a matter of renaming the functions. I am also happy to compile binaries for you but the github link is dead.
Github is fixed! Sorry, forgot to take it off private. I appreciate the offer to add functionality for playing MIDI files but it's kind of a whole separate realm to sending and receiving MIDI messages, and I'm trying to keep this sort of lean and focused. Of course, with the code being open source, you're welcome to add it to your own super-MIDI extension if you want.

hey, I tried using the extension in gamemaker studio 2, as well as the demo file, and neither of them recognized my inputs or outputs. I tried both the github version and the itch.io version. my midi keyboard is a usb port and I don't have any other programs running that take midi input. please help me.

DaveInDev

Hi there,

Seems very promising, I'd like to have a look and compile the demo to see if I can go further, but I cannot find the code for it. Is it also available on Github, or did I miss something ?

Hi there,

Seems very promising, I'd like to have a look and compile the demo to see if I can go further, but I cannot find the code for it. Is it also available on Github, or did I miss something ?
Github, link is also in the OP. If you use Windows, I'd recommend simply downloading the demo project from itch.io, unless you really love compiling DLLs.

hey, I tried using the extension in gamemaker studio 2, as well as the demo file, and neither of them recognized my inputs or outputs.
I DM'd you about this a while ago, but in case anyone else had this issue in the past, it's now fixed in the most recent versions.