OFFICIAL GMS2 Version 2.3.2 (Beta Release)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to the update of GameMaker Studio 2. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us

As ever, PLEASE check the Required SDKs FAQ before/during updating and ensure your antivirus/OS permissions are correct after you do the new install - User Permissions and Internet Access Required by GMS2 - before you submit any bug reports or post issues here.

You should post here if:
  • Something has changed between the previous version and this one, breaking your game (i.e.: code that worked previously now does not)
  • Something reported as fixed in the release notes is not actually fixed
  • You are having IDE or system issues related to something new in this update
  • You are having issues with new features introduced in this version
  • You are having issues updating to this version
  • Everything works and you want to tell us we are great (seriously, let us know if it all works correctly for you)
When reporting issues to the Helpdesk, please try to add as much information as possible, for example:
  • If the issue is with the IDE, then please give a screenshot if you can to help illustrate the problem
  • If there are error windows, then a link to the "ui.log" file found via the "Open Log in ..." Help menu command inside GMS2
  • If it is a code issue, then link to or attach a YYZ showing the most basic project possible which exhibits the behaviour
  • If you receive any error dialogues, please screenshot them
  • If it is a system issue (like compiling to a specific target) then please provide details of the PC being used as well as the software versions involved
Again: posting a comment in these release threads is not a replacement for filing a bug!

Release Notes

Runtime Release Notes

Current Release - IDE v23.1.1.266 Runtime v23.1.1.268 (Mar 23, 2021)

Another small release, largely because CocoaPods should now be fixed in the Mac IDE (it certainly works for our Macs now), plus also some more silent game crash fixes. As per usual, you can find the detail for these changes since Beta 4 at the top of the release notes pages.

Known Issues (in no priority order):
  1. Games launched in fullscreen, but then forced out of fullscreen via some method other than Alt+Enter or window_set_fullscreen() go into a borderless mode and mouse input is incorrect.
  2. We have seen some of the very recent feedback here for suggested different localisation strings, but these changes have not been made yet.
  3. Some Macs will hang searching for runtimes the very first time GMS2 is launched after installation, and you need to restart GMS2 to fix.

Beta 4 - IDE v23.1.1.263 Runtime v23.1.1.265 (Mar 16, 2021) - PLEASE UPDATE!

A much smaller release this time, largely just to fix the structs/statics/methods issues you all reported here and in tickets with Beta 3.

However, this version also introduces an updated Windows installer/uninstaller which has support for the new IDE languages supported in 2.3.2. It will also now save your chosen language and so not ask you to pick the installer language every time you update GMS2. (Mac IDE installer now supports the new languages also, but continues to always just use whatever your OS language is.)

And we also made setting image_index manually follow the old rules 2.2.5-and-older followed, thanks to the discussion in https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/image_index-in-gms-2-3.78157/#post-503501 about the 2.3.0+ behaviour breaking existing game logic. Note that if you set image_index manually to a frame which would normally send a sprite broadcast message, then this will not be fired - this will only happen if the image ticks up/down to that frame normally. We also made some fixes for other bugs when your image_speed was a negative and so you got issues with animation end events and sprite broadcast messages firing repeatedly or at the wrong time. Please do check this version out if you contributed to that thread and do let us know if all is well now.

Beta 3 - IDE v23.1.1.261 Runtime v23.1.1.264 (Mar 12, 2021) - PLEASE UPDATE!

Changes/fixes are shown at the top of the release notes and at the top of this thread, but you can see we have added even more IDE and manual translations in this version (plus added the remaining stuff for Chinese), so please do give these a try also if you're familiar with these languages.

One request for CocoaPods users who had issues compiling projects with the "pod install" command saying it could not be found - can you please confirm this is now fixed on your machines, please? We did find an issue with the OS permission level GMS2 was trying to use, which could have caused this to fail in some cases.

Beta 2 - IDE v23.1.1.255 Runtime v23.1.1.260 (Feb 24, 2021) - PLEASE UPDATE!

Quite a lot of bug fixes for the IDE and runtime, so I won't list them all here, but you can see them all at the top of each of the release notes pages linked-to just above.

Initial Release IDE v23.1.1.249 Runtime v23.1.1.254 (Feb 11, 2021) - PLEASE UPDATE!

You will see from the notes above that there is also a companion post What's New in 2.3.2? which goes over the new features in a lot more detail and has a couple of small "demo" projects you can download. Hope you like it.

Last edited:

Amon

Is this right? My download states IDE 23.1.1.249 Runtime 23.1.1.254

Is this the correct version of 2.3.2?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Though I was initially encouraged by the beta's release, within minutes I noticed that I can't use this release without major modification to my stack. The VM export seems to be losing track of arguments inside catch blocks, and it is hitting the test suites of most of my libraries.

Example:
GML:
function bar() {
    show_debug_message("Before catch: " + string(argument_count));
    try {
        throw "BOO";
    } catch (ex) {
        show_debug_message("After catch: " + string(argument_count));
    }
}
Calling bar(1, 2, 3, 4) shows 4 and 0 on VM exports (abnormal), but shows 4 and 4 on HTML5 and YYC exports (normal). This is an unusual break from previous bugs, which instead usually had VM doing the right thing and YYC doing the wrong thing.

I planned to use the beta for the GMC Jam due to a GC bug in 2.3.1 stable, but now I have no choice but to re-evaluate this decision.

gnysek

9 slices - love them!
Optimizations for runners, caching and sounds - finally some good news. There's always some room for improvements, but every optimization not caused by reported bugs is always very welcome and worth 100 fixed bugs.

And I see that some placeholder files for future expansions are removed from installer now :) So this update was a big cleaning of mess from last months, well done.

It may seems it's a small update, but it's the update we all waited for, and it might be the most stable one in 2.3 line history.

Good work, I've back to my project after 4 months of inactivity thanks to those release notes. Reading it was like therapy for me.

Slyddar

Great guys, always nice to have a new version!

Unfortunately I see no notes regarding the bug in DnD that can completely delete the contents of scripts when renaming them. It was stated as solved last year, but has not been, and I've sent numerous requests asking for the case to be re-opened, but have received no response. This is the video of the problem, and considering it deletes scripts, and instantly auto saves, meaning no way to recover without other means, it's a pretty devastating bug to not address. Any chance of at least an acknowledgement as support requested info, I supplied it, and I've heard nothing back many weeks ago. Case numbers were #179564 and #179564 but since we can't see the database anymore, I have no more info. Sorry to bring it up in here, but not sure where else to ask now.

COWCAT

Hmm faster compiles sounds nice but in practice... not much change for my project.
VM compile (after the initial one, so with cache) : 17 seconds for the beta vs 16 seconds for 2.3.1 stable. (yes for some reason it's even faster in the previous version)
I guess it varies according to what's in the project.
The good news is that the game seems to work normal which is nice for a beta!

Last edited:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Hmm faster compiles sounds nice but in practice... not much change for my project.
VM compile (after the initial one, so with cache) : 17 seconds for the beta vs 16 seconds for 2.3.1 stable. (yes for some reason it's even faster in the previous version)
I guess it varies according to what's in the project.
I think the optimisation added in this version is most prominent when you have lots of compressed sound assets using OGG as a source file.

Earlier, when compiling sound assets, GM:S would take every source audio file and recompile it. This caused a noticeable slowdown when multiple background music sounds were added to the game.
With the new version, GM checks if the source audio file and target sound asset have compatible formats. If they are, it copies the source audio file as-is.
This applies to source OGG file for compressed sound asset, and source WAV file for uncompressed sound asset (the WAV also needs to have matching properties, like mono/stereo or sample rate).
MP3s will still be always recompiled.

Simple sound effects would usually be negligible for compilation, but compressed background music would take a while to compile into a new OGG file.
But if you use an OGG file for compressed sound asset from the start, the recompilation won't take place, thus cutting down a significant chunk of overall compile time.

This is a fairly specific optimisation, but if people learn about it and use OGG files (rather than MP3s) for their music assets, I expect they can cut down the compilation time a lot, especially if the game has lots and lots of soundtracks.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
We have just confirmed an issue with Save Project As not properly creating the new copy of your project for you (you just get an empty destination folder written to your disk, but you're left in the original project and the IDE docks all disappear), so will get this fixed for the next Beta!

Note that no data is lost from the original copy of your project - it's simply that the duplicate is not made. (File > Reopen, point at your original project and carry on.)

Last edited:

gnysek

GM:S would take every source audio file and recompile it
That part will be mostly noticeable after cache clearing then. But for "Pre-compiled headers" I see no time improvement, except it's for very, very big projects.

Posh Indie

That Guy
We have just confirmed an issue with Save Project As, so will get this fixed for the next Beta!
Mind if I ask for elaboration? "issue with Save Project As" could be as harmless as, "It changes your project version number back to 1.0.0" or as harmful as, "It actually works like a delete all function".

Knowing what it does determines if I decide to play around with the beta or not when I have time.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Mind if I ask for elaboration? "issue with Save Project As" could be as harmless as, "It changes your project version number back to 1.0.0" or as harmful as, "It actually works like a delete all function".

Knowing what it does determines if I decide to play around with the beta or not when I have time.
It's the latter, and the result is creating an empty directory at the target. It happened to me while I was reproducing the arguments-in-catch bug.

gnysek

Two bugs from my side:
- on 9-slice panel, when changing window split size, zoom is reset to "centre fit"
- when dragging with MMB, it also moves slice lines

Edit: Another bug - instanceof() seems to return wrong results for struts (internal function names or "Object"). Also reported.

Edit 2: all bugs are confirmed by helpdesk.

Last edited:

SnoutUp

Did anyone test this out with HTML, Android and iOS builds? I'm still in 2.3.0 and scared to update (my mobile builds right now are stable, but HTML is not working due to various function-related issues).

gnysek

I'm still in 2.3.0
Beta is not an update, it's installed as separate app, so you can safely test it without uninstalling 2.3.0. Of course I'm recommending making a backup of project first, cause on opening some resources will be updated.

Last edited:

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
2.3.2 Beta 2 (IDE v23.1.1.255 Runtime v23.1.1.260) is rolling out now. Changes are at the top of the release notes pages and top of this thread.

One request for Mac IDE users - can you let us know if since updating to Big Sur you have found that installing new IDE versions always gets stuck on "Checking RSS Feeds" on the splash screen and then you have to restart GMS2 immediately in order to fix (just that one first time after installing the new IDE).

We have made a fix for this in today's new version, but the issue only seems to affect some of our machines anyway. Would be good to know if you have seen this / if it still affects any of you.

gnysek

As I understand, this version still checks for manual in stable channel, and there's yet no beta/nightly/color channels for "beta" manuals ?

Zhanghua

The ide translation of China is serious?
The language selection of preference's general setting is "chinese/英语"

英语 is english
汉语 is chinese....

And Is the chinese documents on the way?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
You mean they auto-translated everything, so even language option says "English" in Chinese, instead of Chinese in Chinese ? :D
That's right. The language option says "English" in Chinese (英语) instead of Chinese in Chinese (汉语). Not the best of first impressions.

This doesn't look entirely like auto-translated work, but there are clear signs of context loss and incomplete work. Some examples:
  • Marketplace > My Assets: 我的库 (sounds awkward)
  • Preferences > Asset Browser: 资产浏览器 (the "asset" is the accounting definition, not the programming definition)
  • Add bias to text selection to prevent line jumping: 为文本选择添加偏差以防止线条跳跃(?) (the "line" is the geometric definition, not the text definition, and that "(?)" is literally in the text)
I would suggest 我的资源库 / 资源浏览器 / 选取文字时偏向现选行列 for the examples above (the last one is actually "favour current row when selecting text", which is my reinterpretation of the English wording).

I can take another quick look next week after the GMC Jam is done, but so far I don't see a complete redo being warranted. A few pointers from actual GMS 2 users with experience in Chinese (e.g. Zhanghua) should be enough to make it presentable at the basic level.

Json_stringify and json_decode used to get rid of variables that were set to undefined but this has been fixed now yay! I don't notice any compile time differences yet but my project isn't very large.......YET. lol

Zhanghua

That's right. The language option says "English" in Chinese (英语) instead of Chinese in Chinese (汉语). Not the best of first impressions.

This doesn't look entirely like auto-translated work, but there are clear signs of context loss and incomplete work. Some examples:
  • Preferences > Asset Browser: 资产浏览器 (the "asset" is the accounting definition, not the programming definition)
  • Add bias to text selection to prevent line jumping: 为文本选择添加偏差以防止线条跳跃(?) (the "line" is the geometric definition, not the text definition, and that "(?)" is literally in the text)
I would suggest 我的资源库 / 资源浏览器 / 选取文字时偏向现选行列 for the examples above (the last one is actually "favour current row when selecting text", which is my reinterpretation of the English wording).

I can take another quick look next week after the GMC Jam is done, but so far I don't see a complete redo being warranted. A few pointers from actual GMS 2 users with experience in Chinese (e.g. Zhanghua) should be enough to make it presentable at the basic level.
Professional

LiarOnce

uh, The Chinese translation is carried out by us, and I only recently learned about the problem of it 😂 .

This is our translation project (It took about two and a half years): https://github.com/GamemakerChina/gms2translation

我也是最近才知道 YoYo Games 直接使用了我们的翻译😂(然后还莫名其妙的使用机器翻译将剩下的一些专有名词也翻译了)

"(?)" means fragments that are difficult to understand, so machine translation is used directly here.

You can also participate in our translation work, but you may need to wait until the official version of 2.3.2 is released, because we will use our self-made OmegaT filter plug-in to translate the CSV file directly:
https://github.com/GamemakerChina/gms2-ide-csv-filter

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16767

Sent a bug file report for the surfaces changing "layers" when going from windowed to fullscreen or fullscreen to windowed. This has been going on for a long time, so I thought I'd file a report for that.

This can fix numerous important things. Mainly surfaces not vanishing while painting something or surfaces not vanishing while having surfaces randomized in your game (for replay sessions) or just plain having a surface up at all times.

Zhanghua

Android
Sent a bug file report for the surfaces changing "layers" when going from windowed to fullscreen or fullscreen to windowed. This has been going on for a long time, so I thought I'd file a report for that.

This can fix numerous important things. Mainly surfaces not vanishing while painting something or surfaces not vanishing while having surfaces randomized in your game (for replay sessions) or just plain having a surface up at all times.
The origin Androids' surface has this bug too.

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
[BUG]
So this one took a LOT to isolate.. because it actually doesn't make much sense.

GML:
function ClassA() constructor {

static __classAVar = 10;

static classAfunc = function() {
        return __classAVar;
    }
}

function ClassB() : ClassA() constructor {

static classBfunc = function() {}
    classAfunc(classBfunc);
}

function ClassC() : ClassB() constructor {}
Now the tests:
[TEST1]
GML:
instanceB = new ClassB();
instanceC = new ClassC(); // Crashes HERE  "'__classAVar' not set before reading it" ???
[TEST2]
GML:
// instanceB = new ClassB(); (comment this line)
instanceC = new ClassC(); // Doesn't crash
[TEST3]
GML:
instanceB = new ClassB(); // Doesn't crash
// instanceC = new ClassC(); (comment this line)
[TEST4]
GML:
instanceC = new ClassC();
instanceB = new ClassB(); // Apparently inverting the order of calls stops the crash (DEFINITELY a bug)

Last edited:

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
The language selection of preference's general setting is "chinese/英语" 英语 is english

And Is the chinese documents on the way?
We will get that typo fixed, plus the remaining content is coming for the translation - nothing DnD is translated in the version you have, for example. And yeah, the manual will be translated also, although this may be a little longer to arrive as it requires a change to our tools before we can add that.

[BUG]
So this one took a LOT to isolate.. because it actually doesn't make much sense.
Confirmed your ticket sample now - thanks very much!

Zhanghua

[BUG]

GML:
function ClassA() constructor {

static __classAVar = 10;

static classAfunc = function() {
        return __classAVar;
    }
}

function ClassB() : ClassA() constructor {

static classBfunc = function() {}
    classAfunc(classBfunc);
}

function ClassC() : ClassB() constructor {}
Now the tests:
[TEST1]
GML:
instanceB = new ClassB();
instanceC = new ClassC(); // Crashes HERE  "'__classAVar' not set before reading it" ???
[TEST2]
GML:
// instanceB = new ClassB(); (comment this line)
instanceC = new ClassC(); // Doesn't crash
[TEST3]
GML:
instanceB = new ClassB(); // Doesn't crash
// instanceC = new ClassC(); (comment this line)
[TEST4]
GML:
instanceC = new ClassC();
instanceB = new ClassB(); // Apparently inverting the order of calls stops the crash (DEFINITELY a bug)
use static carefully... I give up to use this long time ago..

This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to the update of GameMaker Studio 2. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us

As ever, PLEASE check the Required SDKs FAQ before/during updating and ensure your antivirus/OS permissions are correct after you do the new install - User Permissions and Internet Access Required by GMS2 - before you submit any bug reports or post issues here.

You should post here if:
  • Something has changed between the previous version and this one, breaking your game (i.e.: code that worked previously now does not)
  • Something reported as fixed in the release notes is not actually fixed
  • You are having IDE or system issues related to something new in this update
  • You are having issues with new features introduced in this version
  • You are having issues updating to this version
  • Everything works and you want to tell us we are great (seriously, let us know if it all works correctly for you)
When reporting issues to the Helpdesk, please try to add as much information as possible, for example:
  • If the issue is with the IDE, then please give a screenshot if you can to help illustrate the problem
  • If there are error windows, then a link to the "ui.log" file found via the "Open Log in ..." Help menu command inside GMS2
  • If it is a code issue, then link to or attach a YYZ showing the most basic project possible which exhibits the behaviour
  • If you receive any error dialogues, please screenshot them
  • If it is a system issue (like compiling to a specific target) then please provide details of the PC being used as well as the software versions involved
Again: posting a comment in these release threads is not a replacement for filing a bug!

Release Notes

Runtime Release Notes

Current Release IDE v23.1.1.255 Runtime v23.1.1.260 (Feb 24, 2021)

Quite a lot of bug fixes for the IDE and runtime, so I won't list them all here, but you can see them all at the top of each of the release notes pages linked-to just above.

Known Issues (in no priority order):
  1. The manual doesn't download the correct one - it gets you 2.3.1's manual.
  2. The Chinese IDE translation is still work-in-progress and incomplete - there is also the typo mentioned below that the Preference calls it "English" but using Chinese characters.
  3. Calling ord(integer) silently crashes YYC, but works on VM.
  4. Games launched in fullscreen, but then forced out of fullscreen via some method other than Alt+Enter or window_set_fullscreen() go into a borderless mode and mouse input is incorrect.
  5. On VM targets, appending multi-dimensional arrays using += and not using array accessors can cause silent crashes or "Index out of bounds" errors, calling gc_collect() can prevent this for some reason.

Initial Release IDE v23.1.1.249 Runtime v23.1.1.254 (Feb 11, 2021) - PLEASE UPDATE!

You will see from the notes above that there is also a companion post What's New in 2.3.2? which goes over the new features in a lot more detail and has a couple of small "demo" projects you can download. Hope you like it.
Yo! i have a question, i love how easy is to develop a game with GMS, but i wonder the enviroment doesn't have a User Interface Designer Tool to improve the games interface designs! Best for you guys! I love ya all

Ricardo

The debugger stopped working on my Macbook Air M1 (IDE v23.1.1.255 Runtime v23.1.1.260). It get stuck in a loop trying to connect.
Funny thing is: it doesn't happen in an empty project, but happen in any other project I have.
Anyone else with an Apple M1 machine is having this issue with the debugger?
PS: Debugger works well on that same machine using the latest stable release (IDE v2.3.1.536 Runtime v2.3.1.406).

LiarOnce

About the "asset" word, its translation is also controversial among Chinese users, because it must be distinguished from the word "resource", and Unity and UE4 also translate "asset" into "资产" in Chinese documents, so we continue to use this term.

drandula

I have problem with buffer_save(...) and using extension:
  • Create buffer with correct size.
  • Fill buffer using extension (C++).
  • Use buffer_save(...).
  • Resulted file is empty (size 0kb).
Looking from Debugger, buffer exists with given size and gets filled correctly by extension. Also if this filled buffer is copied to another buffer, and then use buffer_save for copy, it creates file correctly.
So buffer_save doesn't seem to work for buffers which extension has tampered with.

I have only tested this in GMS beta, and don't know is this case in stable too.

Edit. Also currently you can't do bug report :
1615199254451.png

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I think you will need to tell the buffer that it has some content for buffer_save to work, do a buffer_seek() to the correct position, then try a save, if that does not work then write a byte at the end (after the seek), then seek again back to the original position - the buffer functions were not designed to interact well with external systems, but you can get them to play properly if you follow some rules (ensure they know they have content)

Russell

drandula

...do a buffer_seek() to the correct position...
I did this, but haven't tried writing anything in GMS side before saving, I'll try that in a moment :)
Edit. peeking + poking last item worked 👍
Edit2. Yeah, need to do it with last item (if done with middle item, buffer will be saved only up until that middle part).

Last edited:

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
The debugger stopped working on my Macbook Air M1 (IDE v23.1.1.255 Runtime v23.1.1.260). It get stuck in a loop trying to connect.
Funny thing is: it doesn't happen in an empty project, but happen in any other project I have.
Anyone else with an Apple M1 machine is having this issue with the debugger?
PS: Debugger works well on that same machine using the latest stable release (IDE v2.3.1.536 Runtime v2.3.1.406).
We have made a fix ahead of the next beta release for macOS debugger failing to connect if you have nested functions in your code. Might be this,

Posh Indie

That Guy
There is a Room Layer issue:

Recreating from my memory, layers in this order in the room editor:
Instance Layer 1
Instance Layer 2
Tile Layer 1
Instance Layer 3
Tile Layer 2
Background Layer

Scenario 1:
"Instance Layer 2" has an instance that clears the layers (Instance and Tile) in the create event (To allow recreation) and after that, sets tiles to both "Tile Layer 2" (First, and fills it entirely), and then "Tile Layer 1" (Second, and randomly placing the tiles). "Instance Layer 1" has an instance that destroys and recreates the instance in "Instance Layer 2" when a key is pressed. So with the order above... Everything breaks ("Tile Layer 2" does not show anything, "Tile Layer 1" never clears but does draw new tiles effectively "Filling the screen randomly").

Scenario 2:
Drag "Instance Layer 2" below "Tile Layer 1". Now everything works fine.

Dropping this here to see if anyone else encountered this issue as I intend to try to replicate this later, but cannot guarantee I will have the time so maybe a report/project can be made sooner than I can get around to it.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
IDE v23.1.1.261 Runtime v23.1.1.264 is rolling out now.

Changes are shown at the top of the release notes and at the top of this thread, but you can see we have added even more IDE and manual translations in this version (plus added the remaining stuff for Chinese), so please do give these a try also if you're familiar with these languages.

One request for CocoaPods users who had issues compiling projects with the "pod install" command saying it could not be found - can you confirm this is now fixed on your machines, please? We did find an issue with the OS permission level GMS2 was trying to use, which could have caused this to fail in some cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.