OFFICIAL GMS2 Version 2.3.1 (Full Release)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Release Notes

Runtime Release Notes

This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to the update of GameMaker Studio 2. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us

You should post here if:
  • Something has changed between the previous version and this one, breaking your game (ie: code that worked previously now does not)
  • Something reported as fixed in the release notes is not actually fixed
  • You are having IDE or system issues related to something new in this update
  • You are having issues with new features introduced in this version
  • You are having issues updating to this version
  • Everything works and you want to tell us we are great (seriously, let us know if it all works correctly for you)
When reporting issues, please try to add as much information as possible, for example:
  • If the issue is with the IDE, then please give a screenshot if you can to help illustrate the problem
  • If there are error windows, then a link to the "ui.log" file found in the ProgramData folder for GMS2
  • If it is a code issue, then link to or attach a YYZ showing the most basic project possible which exhibits the behaviour
  • If you receive any error dialogues, please screenshot them
  • If it is a system issue (like compiling to a specific target) then please provide details of the PC being used as well as the software versions involved
Again: posting a comment in these release threads is not a replacement for filing a bug!

As ever, PLEASE check the Required SDKs FAQ before/during updating.

23rd November - Original release IDE v2.3.1.536 Runtime v2.3.1.406 () - Please update!

17th December - Updated release IDE v2.3.1.542 Runtime v2.3.1.409

A small stability release has gone out today to address some of the most-commonly-reported issues with the original release. Fixes the following issues only:
  • Building Projects: [Switch] Crash trying to download XML during the build
  • Building Projects: macos VM should have its plist entitlement set so unsigined/third-party dylibs can be used during dev-testing
  • Building Projects: [Ubuntu] Enabling Steam causes ScpException when copying libsteam_api.so into place
  • Building Projects: NSIS macro expansion fails, causes broken Start Menu shortcut
  • Code Editor: Autocomplete shows duplicate entries for "global." variables defined in functions
  • Code Editor: Editing .gml files in an external editor updates with the changes only once if the editor with the .gml file is open in GameMaker
  • Debugger: Stepping into functions defined inside instance creation is causing IDE instability
  • Generate Project Images: GMS2 unstable when generating foreground Android adaptive icons in the attached project
  • Manual Content: Sprite Editor page details currently-unsupported playback functionality
  • Manual Content: Unwanted social sharing code, causes delays loading the manual for some firewalled users
  • Marketplace: Google Play Services asset cannot be imported as its own new project
  • Project Import: GMS2 unstable when converting attached project - Exception in YoYoStudio.IDE+<>c__DisplayClass256_0,Void b__1()
  • Project Load: GMS2 unstable, projects do not load again after renaming a Sequence's event script
  • Project Load: Duplicated assets fail to load when project reloading if project that had more than 2 "chained" duplicates of that asset
  • Sequence Editor: GMS2 hang at the point sound assets are played when previewing a sequence
  • Timelines: Attempting to copy and paste a timeline moment will give an error
  • In-Game: Animation End event not always triggered correctly when Spine lasts for non-integer number of frames
  • In-Game: Animation End event does not trigger reliably when the sprite frames and game speed result in very small values
  • In-Game: [macOS] Some Macs crash on game_end() [can cause submission rejection]
  • In-game: Garbage Collector crash when changing room in attached project
  • In-Game: window_set_size() works incorrectly when leaving fullscreen and resizing the window in same step
  • In Game: "with" scope does not close if it throws an exception inside try-catch
  • In-Game: [HTML5] Cannot access keys in structs generated by json_parse() unless using a debug run
  • In-Game: Json-encoded structs returned from a global method are empty

Last edited by a moderator:

Fazzila

After last update the room order in my project has broken. It just does not load the room ("Menu", on screenshot), which is listed as first in the Room Order, instead it loads the room "Menu_Controls_Down", when I launch the project. But it has been working correctly literally yesterday, and I have not changed anything since then. Please, help.
image_2020-11-23_194030.png

Removed some redundant arguments from buffer_get_surface(), so you will need to refactor any code using this function.
Anyone have access to the new format? The manual was already severely lacking (indicating constants that didn't exist and so on).

D

Deleted member 16767

After last update the room order in my project has broken. It just does not load the room ("Menu", on screenshot), which is listed as first in the Room Order, instead it loads the room "Menu_Controls_Down", when I launch the project. But it has been working correctly literally yesterday, and I have not changed anything since then. Please, help.View attachment 35851
Can confirm the same.

Psycho-Male

My game starts at a specific room no matter which room I put on top of the room order list. Going to revert back to previous version for now.

Toque

Hmmm. Tried to update. But its stuck in installation with the pop up error. MacBook with 10.15.7

"The operation couldn't be completed. (com. apple.installer.pagecontrller error -1)
Couldn't open "Monoframework- MDK6.10.104.macos10.xarmarin.universal. pkg. "

Ive never had any problems with the previous updates.

K

Kamil Brzezinski

I'm trying to open a project created with oldest version of GM2 and every time it fails to convert to "new format"

R

RamenBomber

Hmmm. Tried to update. But its stuck in installation with the pop up error. MacBook with 10.15.7

"The operation couldn't be completed. (com. apple.installer.pagecontrller error -1)

Currently having the exact same issue. I tried installing a new version of Mono like the notes said but that still hasn't fixed the problem. Any help would be appreciated

R

RamenBomber

After reinstalling and downloading Mono a couple times the problem somehow fixed itself. Have no idea why it didn't work the first time around though.

samspade

Searching new functions returns no results in the manual although otherwise everything has worked great so far. (report also filed)

Last edited:
A

Awrqra

Did this new update broke how sprites handle and change and that kind of stuff? Because I opened my project today and my sprites aren't working properly, I usually change my sprites in the Step event, but now it won't even show a sprite, what happened?
And when I use in the draw event the function "draw_self()" it gives me the following error:
Screenshot_138.png

Alec20

My bug report on inherited conigurations settings not showing correctly was completely ignored :(

Edit:
The thing is that for my project the inherrited config shows an incorrect version (1.2.0) and I can't change it since its inherited (if i change it i will need to remember to change it every time i update)
But the Default config shows 1.2.8 (the correct version)

Here's my idea: just put a message saying "inherited from Default" and make the settings it not editable until you check a "unlink" setting or something to make sure is getting the correct parameters

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 45390

Getting a 403 when running the runtime installer.

Screenshot 2020-11-23 at 20.58.55.png

Toque

After reinstalling and downloading Mono a couple times the problem somehow fixed itself. Have no idea why it didn't work the first time around though.
I downloaded the new MONO. (1 GB install). But it did install now. Assuming that fixed bit but honestly have no clue.

badwrong

Hmm, so I was really wanting Broadcast Messages on sprites and now they are here. But they do not generate the actual instance ID if the sprite is assigned to an instance. Is this going to come at some point?

Features like this are great, but fall short in such simple ways it seems. Oh well, I've been doing my own Animation Notifies using structs already and they do what I need. I just really was hoping for the "visual editing" you get from actually adding it to the sprite itself.

Getting this error after update when compiling for Android (worked yesterday).

GML:
DoSplash
System.NotSupportedException: The given path's format is not supported.
   at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.EmulateFileIOPermissionChecks(String fullPath)
   at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.QuickDemand(FileIOPermissionAccess access, String fullPath, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite, Boolean checkHost)
   at Igor.AndroidUtils.(String , String )
   at Igor.AndroidBuilder.Deploy(Boolean _exe)
   at Igor.AndroidBuilder.Run()
Igor complete.

Coded Games

Things are looking very promising! I've occasionally imported Decks of Dexterity into GMS 2.3 and had problems that I didn't feel like fixing, so I've stuck with 2.2 for main development. 2.3.1 appears to have solved a lot of the major issues!

otterZ

Everything seems fine after updating so far.

What is a Zeus project? In the Output window when running the game it says "We have a Zeus project!" lol Does that mean a large project I'm guessing?

Edit: When running the game it takes a few more seconds load / exit the splash screen than it did before the new GM version, but no big deal.

Last edited:
T

Tony Long

Surface great! But I can't run game on android device (my phone) as previous version IDE after I update newest version. It not notice anything.

Having the exact same issue.
But I am on MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave)

But I guess this will affect all mac users.
As it seems that the client can't download the runtime binary

The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.

GML:
09:55:45:263(e493)] Finished Wait for all Modules
[09:55:45:263(e493)] failed to download runtime module mac.mono
[09:55:45:264(e493)] Mono Version number is 5.10.1.57, comparing to 6.10.0.104
[09:55:45:264(e493)] Major 6 == 5 do we need to update? True
[09:55:45:265(e493)] Minor 10 == 10 do we need to update? False
[09:55:45:265(e493)] Build 0 == 1 do we need to update? False
[09:55:45:265(e493)] We does think that Mono needs updated
[09:55:45:265(e493)] start installation for Module mac.mono
[09:55:45:265(e493)] DownloadInstallandVerify mac.mono to /Users/Shared/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes/runtime-2.3.1.406
[09:55:45:265(e493)] Wait for all Modules
[09:55:45:717(e493)] Web GET Exception installing runtime mac.mono - System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.
  at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponseFromData (System.Net.WebResponseStream stream, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x00146] in <69ec3f7cb7cb428090e9bf0f05be6933>:0
  at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.RunWithTimeoutWorker[T] (System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1[TResult] workerTask, System.Int32 timeout, System.Action abort, System.Func`1[TResult] aborted, System.Threading.CancellationTokenSource cts) [0x000f8] in <69ec3f7cb7cb428090e9bf0f05be6933>:0
  at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse (System.IAsyncResult asyncResult) [0x00020] in <69ec3f7cb7cb428090e9bf0f05be6933>:0
  at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1[TResult].FromAsyncCoreLogic (System.IAsyncResult iar, System.Func`2[T,TResult] endFunction, System.Action`1[T] endAction, System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1[TResult] promise, System.Boolean requiresSynchronization) [0x0000f] in <ab04ed2808f745289a3666eaaadaf8fd>:0
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---

Last edited:
After last update the room order in my project has broken. It just does not load the room ("Menu", on screenshot), which is listed as first in the Room Order, instead it loads the room "Menu_Controls_Down", when I launch the project. But it has been working correctly literally yesterday, and I have not changed anything since then. Please, help.View attachment 35851
I'm having the same issue with my game I tried loading. Upon uninstalling and reinstalling GMS, I can't even open it anymore.

Attachments

I guess thats the same issue as mac users experiencing.
It seems the client can't get the runtime from yoyo servers.
They need to fix them.

File bug reports please. You can roll back to a previous version by downloading it from the Release Notes, if required.
I can't access GMS. When I try to download the run times the web page won't load. I checked my runtimes folder and it's completely empty, my internet is also working fine. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling GMS, restarting internet and PC, disabling firewall before accessing the web page. Same issue every time, I've never seen anything like this before.

Attachments

Electros

Getting this error after update when compiling for Android (worked yesterday).

GML:
DoSplash
System.NotSupportedException: The given path's format is not supported.
   at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.EmulateFileIOPermissionChecks(String fullPath)
   at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.QuickDemand(FileIOPermissionAccess access, String fullPath, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite, Boolean checkHost)
   at Igor.AndroidBuilder.Deploy(Boolean _exe)
   at Igor.AndroidBuilder.Run()
Igor complete.
I'm getting the same error message as this after the update. Also, the build time seems to have risen massively (pre-update perhaps 9 mins with Android + YYC, now 22mins+ after update) - before falling over with this message.

Any suggestions welcome to get around this!

Update 1: Managed to make some progress in fixing this. Not sure if there was some project conversion corruption or path changes between 2.3 and 2.3.1, but it looks like it is having issues with the splash screens and icons. Within the project directory, I copied the splash, icons etc folders from options/Android into the config folder within options/Android and it got past this error. Re-ran this Project Image Generator and other things before that, but not sure that made a difference. The adaptive icons don't seem to be displaying properly within the Android options, but they look ok in the project folder.

It then prompted a Gradle update, which then fell over looking for an Android SDK29.0.2 licence. I kicked up Android Studio and the SDK manager, and downloaded 29.0.5. GameMaker then moved past that issue.

The APKs are now deploying again to device, but encountering an error message "Unable to find library for this devices architecture, which is armv7l, ensure you have included the correct architecture in your APK". Now to try and fix that...

Update 2: Library issue could be from these error messages, not sure how to get past this.
> Task :uk.co.AToPlay.Golfion:stripDebugDebugSymbols
WARNING: Support for ANDROID_NDK_HOME is deprecated and will be removed in the future. Use android.ndkVersion in build.gradle instead.
Support for ANDROID_NDK_HOME is deprecated and will be removed in the future. Use android.ndkVersion in build.gradle instead.
WARNING: Compatible side by side NDK version was not found. Default is 21.0.6113669.
Compatible side by side NDK version was not found. Default is 21.0.6113669.
Unable to strip the following libraries, packaging them as they are: libc++_shared.so, liboboe.so, libyoyo.so.

Update 3: I've updated my NDK to the latest version, and not getting the library errors anymore. Game running again on Android by the looks of things, will give it more of a test this evening. I love Gamemaker, but what a day sorting through this... :oops:

Last edited:

Bulletech

Hey when you download the English manual instead of using the online one, the local menu doesn't show brackets (looks like they're replaced with a space)...

e.g.
1606213589769.png

Psycho-Male

I'm using external text editor and GM doesn't allow me to modify a file that's open inside GM, like when I save text file I'm editing and go back to GM, it doesn't update that file if it's already open in GM and it also saves the current version open on GM if I save project or run project. This also applies to scripts/events open inside debugger, which makes using external text editor a huge hassle since I have to close every script/event that's open inside GM.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I'm using external text editor and GM doesn't allow me to modify a file that's open inside GM, like when I save text file I'm editing and go back to GM, it doesn't update that file if it's already open in GM and it also saves the current version open on GM if I save project or run project. This also applies to scripts/events open inside debugger, which makes using external text editor a huge hassle since I have to close every script/event that's open inside GM.
Have you turned the file watcher off / set a preference to always save your changes inside the IDE? It would be prudent to close assets inside GMS2 before editing externally anyway, but the file watcher does exist to enable this functionality, so you should be able to achieve what you want. (If you're seeing the file watcher dialog and then clicking Save, then you're overwriting your external changes with the copies as GMS2 last had them, so this is all behaving correctly.)

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I can't access GMS. When I try to download the run times the web page won't load. I checked my runtimes folder and it's completely empty, my internet is also working fine. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling GMS, restarting internet and PC, disabling firewall before accessing the web page. Same issue every time, I've never seen anything like this before.
The first screenshot is GMS2 suggesting you might be firewalled/blocking access to our servers and that second screenshot pretty much confirms it - as that's your browser and nothing to do with GMS2. Please investigate your setup using https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us...missions-and-Internet-Access-Required-by-GMS2

(This would not be related to the Mac IDE issue with downloading the new Mono installer mentioned in between your posts.)

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Hey when you download the English manual instead of using the online one, the local menu doesn't show brackets (looks like they're replaced with a space)...

e.g.
View attachment 35872
We have noticed this one ourselves. Thanks!

There is a possibly-related issue we're investigating at the moment, where the online version of the English manual doesn't generate some search results properly (it populates the results list, but sometimes it's not a working link). The page content is there, but it's just the search tool behaving oddly. This only affects the English manual also - the other three websites are fine.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
There is a possibly-related issue we're investigating at the moment, where the online version of the English manual doesn't generate some search results properly (it populates the results list, but sometimes it's not a working link). The page content is there, but it's just the search tool behaving oddly. This only affects the English manual also - the other three websites are fine.
I can confirm this is issue is rampant in the English manual. Using the latest version of Firefox.

I'm getting the same error message as this after the update. Also, the build time seems to have risen massively (pre-update perhaps 9 mins with Android + YYC, now 22mins+ after update) - before falling over with this message.

Any suggestions welcome to get around this!

Update 1: Managed to make some progress in fixing this. Not sure if there was some project conversion corruption or path changes between 2.3 and 2.3.1, but it looks like it is having issues with the splash screens and icons. Within the project directory, I copied the splash, icons etc folders from options/Android into the config folder within options/Android and it got past this error. Re-ran this Project Image Generator and other things before that, but not sure that made a difference. The adaptive icons don't seem to be displaying properly within the Android options, but they look ok in the project folder.

It then prompted a Gradle update, which then fell over looking for an Android SDK29.0.2 licence. I kicked up Android Studio and the SDK manager, and downloaded 29.0.5. GameMaker then moved past that issue.

The APKs are now deploying again to device, but encountering an error message "Unable to find library for this devices architecture, which is armv7l, ensure you have included the correct architecture in your APK". Now to try and fix that...

Update 2: Library issue could be from these error messages, not sure how to get past this.
> Task :uk.co.AToPlay.Golfion:stripDebugDebugSymbols
WARNING: Support for ANDROID_NDK_HOME is deprecated and will be removed in the future. Use android.ndkVersion in build.gradle instead.
Support for ANDROID_NDK_HOME is deprecated and will be removed in the future. Use android.ndkVersion in build.gradle instead.
WARNING: Compatible side by side NDK version was not found. Default is 21.0.6113669.
Compatible side by side NDK version was not found. Default is 21.0.6113669.
Unable to strip the following libraries, packaging them as they are: libc++_shared.so, liboboe.so, libyoyo.so.
Also having issues with Android splash/icons. Tried going linking back to the path in programdata, but half the icons were the wrong size.

GDS

• Changed the code-folding on { to be on the function line always, so that you don't get a dangling { as in 2.3.0 - also added a Preference to disable code-folding on { for those who only want to fold via regions

where is the option to turn off the auto folding stuff?
that should be off by default IMHO

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
I arrived a little late but... FINALLY!! šŸ˜

Edit: I'll be back to let you know if I found any bugs...

Last edited:
GMS2 project/YoYo Runner hangs on macOS (spinning beach ball mouse cursor) when running in Debug (F6) mode for a project with errors. Even with the simplest project.

Anyone else experiencing this? Running the same project with Run (F5) pops up an error window as it should, but running with Debug hangs the game window.

IDE v2.3.1.536 Runtime v2.3.1.406
macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Panda_Iro

Is anyone else getting VERY slow response from the new integrated curve editor for sequences? Everything else runs as snappy as ever, and while I love the addition of bezier curves and how the graph is integrated into the layout, moving keys / curves in that view is extremely slow (maybe 1-2 second delay from an adjustment to when it actually shows up on screen). It's only in 'Curve mode', not in 'Keys mode', which is fine. I've tried it with all curve types, same thing. FYI, I'm running on Mac OS Mojave on a 2013 mac pro.

UPDATE: Version 2.3.1.542 seems to have improved the graph editor performance quite a bit. Still a little sluggish but roughly %80 faster. Thanks for the fix!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.