OFFICIAL GMS2 Version 2.2.5 (Full Release)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Release Notes

Runtime Release Notes

This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to the update of GameMaker Studio 2. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us

You should post here if:
  • Something has changed between the previous version and this one, breaking your game (ie: code that worked previously now does not)
  • Something reported as fixed in the release notes is not actually fixed
  • You are having IDE or system issues related to something new in this update
  • You are having issues with new features introduced in this version
  • You are having issues updating to this version
  • Everything works and you want to tell us we are great (seriously, let us know if it all works correctly for you)
When reporting issues, please try to add as much information as possible, for example:
  • If the issue is with the IDE, then please give a screenshot if you can to help illustrate the problem
  • If there are error windows, then a link to the "ui.log" file found in the ProgramData folder for GMS2
  • If it is a code issue, then link to or attach a YYZ showing the most basic project possible which exhibits the behaviour
  • If you receive any error dialogues, please screenshot them
  • If it is a system issue (like compiling to a specific target) then please provide details of the PC being used as well as the software versions involved
Again: posting a comment in these release threads is not a replacement for filing a bug!

As ever, PLEASE check the Required SDKs FAQ before/during updating to 2.2.5 and confirm that your setup is still correct before you try doing any builds.

Kaguva

i have a project working on Android, iOS, Web and InstantGames, 2.2.4.X worked fine for iOS and Android but not for Web and InstantGames i needed back to 2.2.3.X to can compile, now with 2.2.5.X works on all platforms
Good job

Cpaz

Am I the only one having issues downloading this installer? I keep getting network errors right when it finishes.

I'll give it another try later, but it's a very slow download.

rIKmAN

Am I the only one having issues downloading this installer? I keep getting network errors right when it finishes.

I'll give it another try later, but it's a very slow download.
Downloaded fine here in a few seconds, but I've never had any issues with the YYG servers.
I know some people do depending on their location or whether they are using wifi etc.

What's the error you get?

Cpaz

Downloaded fine here in a few seconds, but I've never had any issues with the YYG servers.
I know some people do depending on their location or whether they are using wifi etc.

What's the error you get?
Just the usual chrome "Network Error" right when it finishes downloading. Again, it's unusually slow. I'm wired, so that's not the issue. I haven't normally had issues when downloading updates before, this is a new problem for me.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
All okay now? Any chance this was an antivirus client issue blocking the file from being written/processed by Chrome?

gnysek

I'm often getting problems on last several bytes (that downloading crashes on 99%), but "restarting" it just continues to download this missing < 1MB in one second, and then it's OK (Firefox).

dT_

0031285 General: Drawing fonts at floating point coordinates no longer causes the last set of pixels to be cut off on Windows 8/10
Hello, thank you for update! I reported about font issue, but seems that it's not fixed. I wrote that it's win 8 and 10 issue, but it's not, because i'm on win 10 now and i don't have this issue, but my mates, who had this issue before, report that they still have this.

Here are new gifs, first frame is mine, where everything is fine, second frame with broken fonts.

Attachments

Last edited:

Cpaz

All okay now? Any chance this was an antivirus client issue blocking the file from being written/processed by Chrome?
Nope. No antivirus on my end. Chrome normally just clarifies that .exe's shouldn't normally be downloaded, and continues as normal.

I'm often getting problems on last several bytes (that downloading crashes on 99%), but "restarting" it just continues to download this missing < 1MB in one second, and then it's OK (Firefox).
This is about what's been happening to me. I'll try again on firefox, but it stops right when it's finished downloading and spits out a network error.
I can't emphasize enough how this is the first time anything like this has happened in this system, very strange.

EDIT: Firefox worked. It was also slow, but it downloaded as expected. Odd. Does chrome normally have issues with downloads like this?

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Chrome does a lot of processing of .exe files - the permission request at the start, giving it a fake temporary extension, allowing your AV scanner to read it before the proper file extension is set, etc. Will pass your feedback on to our Web team and they can investigate, but I personally am unaware of any changes on our end which could be causing this.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Hello, thank you for update! I reported about font issue, but seems that it's not fixed. I wrote that it's win 8 and 10 issue, but it's not, because i'm on win 10 now and i don't have this issue, but my mates, who had this issue before, report that they still have this.

Here are new gifs, first frame is mine, where everything is fine, second frame with broken fonts.
Glad to hear that you confirm the original bug is fixed.

As for what you're seeing now, a) have you built a new copy of the game and sent that to your friends?, and b) are they using different GPUs to you? As you're drawing at sub-pixel locations, you're at the mercy of the GPU driver. If you don't absolutely need to draw your text at floating point locations we would suggest you just avoid doing it, which would then remove hardware inconsistencies like this (there is very little we can do to change this, btw).

dT_

Glad to hear that you confirm the original bug is fixed.

As for what you're seeing now, a) have you built a new copy of the game and sent that to your friends?, and b) are they using different GPUs to you?
Thank you for response.

a) Of course, i did.
b) Yes, i use Radeon 7850HD, they use GTX 970, GTX 770, GTX 1060, GT 525m.

Tested on old laptop with GT 525m and i should say that GMS-game can't auto switch on dedicated GPU and still uses Intel Graphics. On Intel Graphics fonts look good, on GT 525m they are broken.

Looks like it's Nvidia related issue.

As you're drawing at sub-pixel locations, you're at the mercy of the GPU driver. If you don't absolutely need to draw your text at floating point locations we would suggest you just avoid doing it, which would then remove hardware inconsistencies like this (there is very little we can do to change this, btw).
If we floor / round coordinates, it looks not smooth and text moves up-down on small amount of pixels, when ending titles move from bottom to top with float number slow speed. I'm not sure about right comparison, but we are drawing regular sprites on sub-pixel coordinates and they look the same. Technically fonts are sprites too, so where is different?

New gif, first frame from Radeon 7850HD, second from GTX 1060.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
New gif, first frame from Radeon 7850HD, second from GTX 1060.
Can you send an updated sample project and the full details of what you're seeing as a new Helpdesk ticket, please. Then we can investigate and get back to you properly, rather than hijacking this thread. Thanks.

dT_

Can you send an updated sample project and the full details of what you're seeing as a new Helpdesk ticket, please. Then we can investigate and get back to you properly, rather than hijacking this thread. Thanks.
OK, i filled a ticket. I thought that you can fix this asap, because it's part of issue, which fixed in this update.

kupo15

OK, i filled a ticket. I thought that you can fix this asap, because it's part of issue, which fixed in this update.
Hmm unless I'm wrong is that the same issue? From what you quoted it seems like there was an issue of pixels being cut off but your issue doesn't appear to be the same. Yours looks to be just a misalignment due to float point errors? What resolution is your game at? It seems like perhaps your resolution is too low to be scrolling at subpixels which is why you get that shifting? If so, there are things you can do just for the end credits to make the res bigger so it scrolls smoothly.

I could be wrong but this is what I'm seeing and my thoughts on it

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Hmm unless I'm wrong is that the same issue? From what you quoted it seems like there was an issue of pixels being cut off but your issue doesn't appear to be the same. Yours looks to be just a misalignment due to float point errors? What resolution is your game at? It seems like perhaps your resolution is too low to be scrolling at subpixels which is why you get that shifting? If so, there are things you can do just for the end credits to make the res bigger so it scrolls smoothly.

That is our thoughts also, as the original sample now shows no issues on our end and the gif being shown now has different results, which is why I asked for an updated sample and info. (You also appear to have commented in both your replies that the original issue is fixed on your machine.)

dT_

I don't want to continue "hijack" this thread, but if you continue discussion, i should too.

First of all i never had problems with fonts on my machine, i reported from my coworkers' feedback, my GPU draws fonts right.

Hmm unless I'm wrong is that the same issue? From what you quoted it seems like there was an issue of pixels being cut off but your issue doesn't appear to be the same. Yours looks to be just a misalignment due to float point errors?
It's same issue, because same people, who had issues with cut off, have this issue, because it's float number problem, because it's font-system problem.

What resolution is your game at? It seems like perhaps your resolution is too low to be scrolling at subpixels which is why you get that shifting? If so, there are things you can do just for the end credits to make the res bigger so it scrolls smoothly.

You are wrong. We tested with same resolutions and same scale. We even tested on old laptop, on Intel Graphics fonts look right, but GT 525m draws broken fonts. Same machine draws fonts differently depending on GPU. I can send you a sample project, which i attached to bug-ticket, if you interested.

All of our tested Nvidia GPUs have problems with fonts.

Last edited:

breakmt

In previous version I got "Fatal exception" when I start GM very often. Now I still get this exception from time to time, but when I try to "Send" - Win32ExceptionHandler.exe stops running....
2019-12-25_081048_cr.png

As far as I can tell: This update did not break my game. I do have a comment on UX, though. Underline the download link on the change-log and/or make it blue. This is the first time I've ever updated my IDE (because I couldn't figure out how to do so.) The green text with no underline looks like an ordinary header to me. But it was smooth sailing once I figured that out.

Thanks a million, guys. I appreciate all that you have done, and still do for me. Hard to believe it's been over a decade since y'all took over. Seems like just yesterday we were voting on SoftWrap and getting excited for InstantPlay.

I've been experiencing weird issues with this new updated IDE v.2.2.5.481 Runtime v.2.2.5.378. Regardless how often I save as I work, at some point it'd revert itself back to the very first time I loaded the project at initial IDE launch after telling me there's been changes to the project. Regardless which ever option I choose, it'd wipe the project updates I made. Causing all my hours of hard work gone just like that. Never experienced this kind of problem before. And nothing to do with the project I'm working on. Very certain this is the IDE and or Runtime being broken. Really terrible, 7 hours of coding, all gone despite every 10-15min I save my progress. Even image made or edited during that 7 hours were either wiped or revert back to its original state. And Instances deleted or altered during that time was either revert back to original or miraculously revived! Checked the ui.log, found lines after lines of "FileModifications: .... is not part of the project, alteration ignored" and then followed by "Discarding external modifications to project..". WTH?! - Gonna revert to an older Stable Runtime. - I'll send the ui.log through the desk channel later.

Edit: case formally reported.

Last edited:

kupo15

I don't want to continue "hijack" this thread, but if you continue discussion, i should too.

First of all i never had problems with fonts on my machine, i reported from my coworkers' feedback, my GPU draws fonts right.

It's same issue, because same people, who had issues with cut off, have this issue, because it's float number problem, because it's font-system problem.

You are wrong. We tested with same resolutions and same scale. We even tested on old laptop, on Intel Graphics fonts look right, but GT 525m draws broken fonts. Same machine draws fonts differently depending on GPU. I can send you a sample project, which i attached to bug-ticket, if you interested.

All of our tested Nvidia GPUs have problems with fonts.
Sure dm me the sample project. I'll be interested to check it out

gnysek

They don't answer about 2.3 state, as since Playtech owns YoYoGames, in terms of GameMaker development state, they only publish "press releases" which contains only positive content, no info about delays, unfixed bugs etc. It was ever mentioned in 2.2.5-beta topic, that there will be "no further info until official beta release blog post".

What's sad, that they care more about "press releases" than communicating with customers/users/community, and even if they don't want to post some news on "blog", they could write a short info here on forums (and even lock a topic, so no comments will be added). It's not hard to write "Sorry guys, but since closed beta went well much before deadline, we decided to add some more features that initially planned, and that delayed open beta by a few weeks". (see both posts below, my fault).
In initial post in April they even mentioned, that more info about 2.3 features will be posted soon on blog and what? They totally forgot. There were only this AMA answers on helpdesk, and since that - no more info. It's even not sure that Sequences will be in 2.3 beta or not (they are mentioned on Roadmap for 2.3, but only there).

But going back to 2.2.5 release (as this topic is about 2.2.5), we can read:
2.2.5 is a small but very important stability release, while we continue developing all the new features in 2.3.0.
So seems they are not yet finished all work. In fact it was more than sure that they won't release it in last two weeks of December, as people are usually goes to (deserved) vacation during that time, and there will be for sure tons of bug reports, so it's better to postpone such a "intense" moment for new year, so people can rest on Holidays.[/S][/S]

Last edited:
What's sad, that they care more about "press releases" than communicating with customers/users/community, and even if they don't want to post some news on "blog", they could write a short info here on forums (and even lock a topic, so no comments will be added). It's not hard to write "Sorry guys, but since closed beta went well much before deadline, we decided to add some more features that initially planned, and that delayed open beta by a few weeks".
You mean like the post that they already did in the Announcements topic where they said that 2.3.0 was being delayed?
The closed beta of GameMaker Studio 2 version 2.3.0 (containing Sequences and the anticipated GML Updates) is currently underway and while we planned to have this released into open beta by the end of the year it's going to slip into early 2020.

gnysek

Yep, thanks. As you see they put it at end so lot of people might miss it, especially that there was newsletter about new tutorial, promotions, and new version was just released, so I just skipped that, seeing title.

But yep, I must then said that this one time they in fact informed us. Thanks for pointing this! My fault.

Last edited:
P

ph101

I hate to continue the hijack but just had to add - dont have any examples or pics handy but I wanted to point out in case it's not known that (as far as I have seen), if you centre align text (fa_center), even when you are drawing at a rounded integer x,y, it can be positioned on a floating point, which has always had the potential to blur text randomly depending on the size of the string being centred (hence I always left justify text and do my own horizontal justify) - just in case it helps. It's possible this could be a bug to file/related to the variation reported above?

I'm still getting crashes without error messages when using networking functions that worked perfectly in previous versions. I've filed two bug reports in the last two months, and have posted about it (and gotten reports from others with the same issue) in this thread.

Reactions: Roo
P

ph101

Just noticed 2.2.5 has possibly caused fonts which displayed fine in 2.2.4 to have the ends shaved off them.

edit. removed broken image.

remaining in 2.2.5 but rolling back to runtime 2.2.4.374 resolves/reproduces the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

gnysek

Just noticed 2.2.5 has possibly caused fonts which displayed fine in 2.2.4 to have the ends shaved off them.

Look at the zeroes here:

upload_2020-1-6_21-20-51.png

Sorry, not all are on a discord channel that you get image from. You can paste image directly into posts without problem (just Ctrl+V).

Fanatrick

Good
- IP truncation on 15 character ip addresses is fixed (TCP-only)
Bad
- Memory leaks in terms of recording audio still exist

Otherwise nothing to report. Hope you guys had a nice holiday season.

kupo15

Slightly off topic yet very much on topic. @Dan how does yoyo treat its version numbers? It looks like its the standard SemVers of Major (not backwards comaptible.Minor (new features compatible).Patch (compatible) but since there is 4 numbers I'm assuming its 2.M.m.patch + hotfix lables? I'm assuming the first number will always be 2 as long as we are using GMS2.

I'm not a CS student and I just decided to look up version semantics bc I'm sick of not really knowing what the heck all these numbers mean. I was just like "ok higher number means newer" lol But with my little research on the topic, its exciting to know a little more details about it and I was curious =)

gnysek

Version is set as A.B.C.D

A - GMS version (major)
B - GMS bigger feature changes (minor), not backward compatible (so old projects will work in new version, but new projects won't work on previous minor).
C - update number in current B release cycle, usually with bugfixes only (so patch)
D - number of build since start of current major line - so 481 means there was 481 builds on "stable" channel, since end of 2016 when beta of 2.0 started).

Beta uses same method, and if one of beta versions is stable enough, it just became stable without any rebuild.

kupo15

Version is set as A.B.C.D

A - GMS version (major)
B - GMS bigger feature changes (minor), not backward compatible (so old projects will work in new version, but new projects won't work on previous minor).
C - update number in current B release cycle, usually with bugfixes only (so patch)
D - number of build since start of current major line - so 481 means there was 481 builds on "stable" channel, since end of 2016 when beta of 2.0 started).

Beta uses same method, and if one of beta versions is stable enough, it just became stable without any rebuild.
Ah thank you for clarifying! :)

Carnivius

Which version of the IDE was released shortly before oct 31st? Cos that one fixed the sluggishness issues I was having with the IDE itself but have returned since the most recent IDE update. Is frustrating.

Carnivius

yeah it was 2.2.4.474. That was the nice one.
And I would assume it was something to do with this cos this particular version of the IDE was so responsive and smooth on my PC and the latest update has returned it to frustrating.
"General: Changed GPU memory allocation for editor windows, which should result in better performance when moving between workspaces and/or running GMS2 for a while"

thom

draw_text_transformed() and draw_text_transformed_colour() have different y positions when drawing in runtime 2.2.5.378. Example code:
GML:
draw_set_color(c_black);      
draw_text_transformed(100,100,"TEXT",1,1,0)
draw_text_transformed_colour(100,100,"TEXT",1,1,0,c_white,c_white,c_white,c_white,1);
text_old.png

In runtime 2.2.4.374 both strings are drawn at the same y position, the white text is overlapping the black text.

text_new.png

In runtime 2.2.5.378 draw_text_transformed() is drawn at a different y position than draw_text_transformed_colour, resulting in the black draw_text_transformed() "TEXT" being visible at the top edge.

I have also tried going back to 2.2.4.374 on MacOS but it just keeps installing 2.2.5.378 after restarting GMS 2. while on windows I am able to use 2.2.4.374.

Edit:
Installing runtime 2.2.4.374 on MacOS just worked, maybe because of a Mac restart.

Last edited:

Bentley

Edit: Solved. I had a password issue but I was able to solve it when I saw the announcement about account/password changes.

Last edited:
J

Jaime Lpz

Hi @Dan !

There is an existing bug where local notifications cannot be cancelled. This issue only exists in iOS.

The push get first local notification ds map returns -1 always, even though a notification has been previously scheduled.

There is an open bug already for this - https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=31659

Would you know if this will get fixed soon? Or any workaround in the meantime?

Thank you!

Roleybob

EDIT: Resolved - can be deleted please

Hi

Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere, I searched for 2.2.5.481 and nothing was found...

I'm back to GM after a long time inactive and every time I start up GMS2 it asks me to download the newest version GMS-Installer-2.2.5.481. I've tried several times and every time the download fails, even after full system restarts.

Any help or ideas why I can't download the installer? I'm running Windows 7, V 6.1 and trying to download the installer through Firefox, and my current version of GMS2 is 2.2.2.413

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I was unable to convert my project in the new version. I get an error message stating that the conversion failed. Interestingly, I was able to convert one of my smaller projects without incident... The differences between the two projects would be that I hadn't altered the default room in the smaller (successfuly converted) project, while the larger project contains over 800 rooms. Also, the large (unsuccessful project) is set to Drag and Drop and has a bunch of programming in that form. So I want to also make certain, as I've mentioned in other posts of mine, that I'm not a programmer. I work inside the IDE, but I'm about as helpless as anyone on the forum... So please go slow with me on this one. :)

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Hey everyone. I was unable to convert my project in the new version. I get an error message stating that the conversion failed. Interestingly, I was able to convert one of my smaller projects without incident... The differences between the two projects would be that I hadn't altered the default room in the smaller (successfuly converted) project, while the larger project contains over 800 rooms. Also, the large (unsuccessful project) is set to Drag and Drop and has a bunch of programming in that form. So I want to also make certain, as I've mentioned in other posts of mine, that I'm not a programmer. I work inside the IDE, but I'm about as helpless as anyone on the forum... So please go slow with me on this one. :)
Well you could post your own topic and see if anyone here can help you or you could also shoot a bug report to the yoyo help desk if you think its a problem with 2.3, I dont think bumping a topic about 2.2.5's release will help to much lol

Well you could post your own topic and see if anyone here can help you or you could also shoot a bug report to the yoyo help desk if you think its a problem with 2.3, I dont think bumping a topic about 2.2.5's release will help to much lol
My bad. I'll post in Tech Support.

Status
Not open for further replies.