OFFICIAL GMS2 Version 2.2.5 (Beta Release)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Release Notes

Runtime Release Notes

This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to the update of GameMaker Studio 2. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us

You should post here if:
  • Something has changed between the previous version and this one, breaking your game (i.e.: code that worked previously now does not)
  • Something reported as fixed in the release notes is not actually fixed
  • You are having IDE or system issues related to something new in this update
  • You are having issues with new features introduced in this version
  • You are having issues updating to this version
  • Everything works and you want to tell us we are great (seriously, let us know if it all works correctly for you)
When reporting issues, please try to add as much information as possible, for example:
  • If the issue is with the IDE, then please give a screenshot if you can to help illustrate the problem
  • If there are error windows, then a link to the "ui.log" file found in the ProgramData folder for GMS2
  • If it is a code issue, then link to or attach a YYZ showing the most basic project possible which exhibits the behaviour
  • If you receive any error dialogues, please screenshot them
  • If it is a system issue (like compiling to a specific target) then please provide details of the PC being used as well as the software versions involved
Again: posting a comment in these release threads is not a replacement for filing a bug!

As ever, PLEASE check the Required SDKs FAQ before/during updating to make sure you're using the correct versions.

Current release IDE v2.2.5.480 Runtime v2.2.5.377 (Dec 12th)

IDE has some extra behind-the-scenes changes for Marketplace/Accounts server stuff, but no changes you will actually see, apart from a tiny wording tweak to the release notes.

Runtime:
0031526: HTML5: Fixed SWF images to use the mask type set for the sprite in the IDE, rather than always being "full image"
0031527: HTML5: Fixed the inconsistent behaviour of Spine blending, normal run vs debug run
0031518: Android: Fixed an issue with fonts which have a large number of glyphs not drawing their later glyphs correctly
0031529: Build Windows: Fixed "YYError("referencing argument index out of range %d"" warnings during YYC builds
Updated UWP with the fix for http_request() which other platforms got in 2.2.4

Initial release IDE v2.2.5.479 Runtime v2.2.5.376 (Dec 5th) - Please update!

Last edited:

TheSpydog

Cool! I really appreciate the more frequent patch updates. :) Just to clarify, is the 2.3.0 beta still on track to release this month as well?

Bruchpilot

Is the beta IDE announced correctly for anyone? The Runtime RSS feed announces 2.2.5 correctly, but the IDE feed doesn't, so it would seem.

Ricardo

Is the beta IDE announced correctly for anyone? The Runtime RSS feed announces 2.2.5 correctly, but the IDE feed doesn't, so it would seem.
I got zero announcement from both the IDE and Runtime. I just noticed the new Beta due to this post.

rIKmAN

I got the blue update icon in the IDE telling me there was a newer version available, if that's what you mean?

Bruchpilot

if that's what you mean?
No, I mean that popup that says that a new IDE is available (IDE, not runtime).
I had to manually download it from the website (no problem, but users will miss it like this, that's why I asked)

I got zero announcement from both the IDE and Runtime. I just noticed the new Beta due to this post.
Same. I manually looked into the runtime RSS feed, and saw that it was there (so it should have been highlighted), but the IDE itself also did not announce it. All the typical remedies like logout/login etc. had been applied.

rIKmAN

No, I mean that popup that says that a new IDE is available (IDE, not runtime).
I had to manually download it from the website (no problem, but users will miss it like this, that's why I asked)
Ah my bad, you mean the update dialog that pops up when you launch GMS2 - no I didn't get that either

Neither did I. I think the problem is despite we had opt into beta, under preference it kept going back looking like this,

and then require us to opt in all over again each time there's a new release. At least it is like that in my case, I'd have expected we only need to opt in once and it remembers until such a time we manually decide to opt out.

TheSpydog

They have only ~10 days for it (later there is 1-2 week Christmas/New Year break as every year), and 2.2.5 isn't yet on stable, so... I wish, but it seems that not.
Yeah... :( It'd be nice if we could get some official word on that, since the roadmap still claims it's coming this month.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
IDE v2.2.5.480 Runtime v2.2.5.377 are rolling out now so you should see the update notification soon. (Added the changes to post 1 here.)

These are checked with the brand new Catalina update and Xcode 11.3, and we didn't find any issues.

Going to ignore all questions about 2.3.0 in this 2.2.5 beta thread and keep things on-topic, guys. All I can say is please wait for whenever the social posts come out...

Bruchpilot

so you should see the update notification soon.
FYI: While running .479 there still is no update notification for 480. So whatever kept it from popping up before is still there.
(also quadruple checked if subscribed to the beta channel and did a logout/login cycle)

Shut

Just recently noticed that my game fails to launch from the Steam client on Linux.

/media/storage/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Danger Gazers/Danger_Gazers: /home/liam/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/pinned_libs_64/libcurl.so.4: version `CURL_OPENSSL_4' not found (required by /media/storage/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Danger Gazers/Danger_Gazers)

Testing from GMS2 IDE works just fine.

P

PoochHerder

I've been playing around with functions and method variables and, overall, am loving the enhancements; but, I have some questions about some behaviors that I'm seeing. I'm not sure if these are bugs or simply expected behavior at the current time (either just because that's the way it is or because it hasn't been implemented yet). I thought that I'd check here before opening bug reports.

Question #1: Should the compiler be validating call signatures for function calls?

For example:

GML:
testFunc = function(x, y)
{
    show_debug_message("x + y = " + string(x+y));
}

testFunc(1);
This code will compile and run but gives a "undefined value" runtime error. Should the compiler have caught the incorrect number of parameters for the function, resulting in a compilation error, or is this behavior expected (possibly for supporting optional function parameters)?

Question #2: Should debugging into a method variable function work when called from another object?

For example, let's say that in oMyFirstObject::Create, I declare the following:

GML:
total = 0;

AddToTotal = function(val)
{
    total += val;

// Do something else interesting
}

Then, in another object, oMySecondObject, I do the following in the Step event:

GML:
var valueToAdd = irandom(10);

if (instance_exists(oMyFirstObject))
{
   oMyFirstObject.AddToTotal(valueToAdd);
}
So, basically, I'm using method variables to create object methods, which is something I've wanted in GMS for a long time. It works great, but I'm running into issues when trying to debug things.

If I'm stepping through oMySecondObject::Step in the debugger and I attempt to step into the call to oMyFirstObject.AddToTotal, the Call Stack and Variables windows update to show the call is being made, but the code for the function doesn't display. Double-clicking in the call stack doesn't open the code either. This makes it difficult to debug. I assume that the behavior is wrong, since this works correctly if the call occurs within the same object, even from a different event; it just doesn't work when the call crosses the object boundary (maybe due to binding resolution?). Is this simply not implemented yet or should it be working?

Status
Not open for further replies.