OFFICIAL GMS2 Version 2.2.3 (BETA RELEASE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Beta IDE Release Notes
Beta Runtime Release Notes
Beta Opt-In FAQ (How to get on the Beta Channel)

This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to the update of GameMaker Studio 2. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us#studio2

2.2.3 introduces tvOS as a new export target if you have the Mobile licence, the ability to add comments to your DnD projects (and lots of other DnD fixes), the option to turn off the file system sandboxing on Desktop platform, support for exporting asset packages locally so you can share with your team more easily, and better communication of when your licences are to expire. Plus, this release has a whole bunch of major stability fixes to stop startup crashes and various other issues whilst using the Windows IDE, and issues with keychain certificate trust settings and building for Ubuntu on the Mac IDE.

We have also changed the way we handle startup crash messages on Windows, so that now (should you even see issues after all the fixes in this release...) it's a one-click report submission tool which automatically gets all the info we require for us to fix your issue and sends it directly to us without you having to file a Helpdesk ticket..2.2 sees a major update to our Spine support, an update to our font functionality, and changes to handling audio on HTML5 (especially iOS and Android browsers). Plus, more stability fixes and extra dialogues to better inform you of system issues.

With 2.2.3 beta releases, we're especially keen for feedback on the following key areas. For those key areas we have created a different thread for each linked below, please discuss each change in its respected thread.

KNOWN ISSUE: We are aware of Google Play advising you really should use the new Bundle build system now. Those warnings (and claims that this is blocking a couple of people's game submissions) came just as we were about to release this version, so these extensive changes for Google Play packages will need to wait until 2.2.4 - at which point were doing a comprehensive update of Gradle and the build processes. For now, see https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us...ate-An-App-Bundle-For-Google-Play-Submissions

KNOWN ISSUE: If you try to build the current Marketplace version of Google Play Services extension in this beta you'll find you get an error about file mismatches. You need to download the newer version from here. (Once the beta period is over, this new version will be set live on the Marketplace.)

For everything else and general issues related to 2.2.3 please discuss here.

tvOS Export: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gms2-tvos-export-2-2-2.64004/

Local Asset Packages: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gms2-local-asset-packages-2-2-2.64005/

Crash Reporting (Startup/Deadlock): https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gms2-crash-reporting-2-2-2.64006/

2.2.3.433 released to the Stable Channel! You can now opt-out again and get the normal update.

The only change in this IDE is final release notes, a crash fix for editing variables in the debugger, and a small change to the crash-reporting tool.

The runtime version remains the same 341.

Beta 3 IDE v2.2.3.432 Runtime v2.2.3.341

New in IDE 432
  • Added a number of fixes and updates to the crash-reporting tool itself, so we capture even better info in the memory dump
  • Lots of updates to the manual for bug-fixes, formatting changes, and a few bits of missing content
  • 0029750: Suggestion: My Library: Importing the same asset again should ask if you want to overwrite, not just make duplicates
  • 0030417: Preferences: No setting for default sprite animation speed in Sprite Editor
  • 0031002: Device Manager: tvOS devices have their boxes extended off screen until you resize the window
  • 0031037: Resource Tree: Groups can be created with invalid character set, causes issues importing packages created with these characters
  • 0031059: General: Mac IDE crashes on startup on macOS Catalina beta or if you installed Apple's mistaken Xcode update on Mojave
  • 0031074: Room Editor: Cutting tiles when any instance is also selected will silently delete that instance

New in runtime 341
  • 0030618: iOS Build: GMS2 always fails to run project on device due to i386 architecture error during Tests phase
  • 0031038: Functions: keyboard_virtual_show() does not work as expected and produces odd results on iOS and tvOS
  • 0031056: HTML5: Gamepads don't work correctly for games run in a Chromium-based browser
  • 0031061: tvOS: Unable to compile an archive
  • 0031062: tvOS (YYC): Unable to compile an archive
  • 0031063: tvOS: Unable to write out ini files
  • 0031067: Windows (YYC): Game crashes with no error dialog if you try to draw_sprite_ext() a sprite which doesn't exist

Beta 2 IDE v2.2.3.426 Runtime v2.2.3.338 (please update now!)

New in IDE 426
  • Updated the French/German/Spanish localisation for the new 2.2.3 features
  • 0031017: UI: Runtime version shows as v99.99.99.99 until it has installed
  • 0031018: Room Editor: Copy and Paste of Assets in the room editor does not copy animation values
  • 0031029: Room Editor: Renaming the room with an instance's creation code open will delete all the code for that instance
  • 0031037: Resource Tree: Groups can be created with invalid character set, causes issues importing packages created with these characters
  • Fixed an issue with the project import repair tool so it correctly handles an issue with user views which could cause an "Unable to find rooms" error when compiling
  • Fixed the logging of an OpenGL error causing startup crashes for a small number of users - please continue to submit your crash reports and then we can fix the root cause also!

New in runtime 338
  • Fixed an issue with unsupported functions causing HTML5 games to end in runtime 337, rather than writing a warning to the log that the function had been ignored
  • 0030991: HTML5: if(undefined = a) is not the same as if(undefined == a) and also a fatal error
  • 0030989: Functions: variable_global_exists seems to not work correctly
  • Changed the Android runner to now only pause on explicit "onPause" messages from the OS and ignore "focus lost" messages - fixes 0030927: Android: Dragging the tray down over your game will cause the game to freeze until you close the tray
  • Fixed an issue with Lint analysis failing builds during the gamepad checking stage if your minimum API version was set to 18 or lower
  • 0031056: HTML5: Gamepads don't work correctly for games run in a Chromium-based browser (Opera, Vivaldi, etc.)

Beta 1 IDE v2.2.3.425 Runtime v2.2.3.337 (please update now!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup. I'm downloading it now. Cross fingers it's incorporated in that Beta IDE. Else my hope to release the apk tonight or anytime soon is out the window.

Amon

I've installed the 2.2.3.425 IDE but There is no new runtime being downloaded.

edit

All fine now.

Last edited:

chmod777

Added new functions/constants for NaN and infinity, so you can handle these better and avoid errors
Interesting... So shouldn't real("blahblah") now return NaN instead of crashing?

Hyomoto

I nearly fell out of my chair. Local asset packages?!? I mean, other stuff too, but LOCAL ASSET PACKAGES?!

I do not, however, see a way to update said packages, which is basically the holy grail for me right now. The thing is, if you build a back-end of tools to use in a project, and improve them over the course of a project, and want to re-import those changes into the original back-end project: well, you might as well just give up. It's a pain to be kind. This is a great start though, and heavily appreciated.

The real unsung hero of this update is the high-refresh-rate monitor IDE support. Finally! GMS2 shouldn't feel like it's lagging on my setup anymore.

L

Lonewolff

I nearly fell out of my chair. Local asset packages?!? I mean, other stuff too, but LOCAL ASSET PACKAGES?!

I do not, however, see a way to update said packages, which is basically the holy grail for me right now. The thing is, if you build a back-end of tools to use in a project, and improve them over the course of a project, and want to re-import those changes into the original back-end project: well, you might as well just give up. It's a pain to be kind. This is a great start though, and heavily appreciated.
Did I ready this right? Updating right now just to make sure this isn't a joke! If this is for real, I'm declaring this day a public holiday worldwide. :D

[edit]
Awww, you guys got me!

As soon has I hit the 'opt-in' button on beta.

A restart of GMS sorted it and downloading now. (Just thought someone might see the funny side :p)

[edit 2]
Yep. Local asset packages (seem to) work like a charm at first test. :cool:

Took a second to find it though.
  • Tools > Create Local Package
  • Tools > Import Local Package

Very cool! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

TheSnidr

Heavy metal viking dentist
GMC Elder
GM no longer seems to recognize function names? It thinks all function names are variables:

TheSnidr

Heavy metal viking dentist
GMC Elder
Seems like I had an old runtime, it works properly now!

EDIT:
variable_global_exists seems to always return true now, even though the global variable is initialized after the function is executed?
Code:
if variable_global_exists("test")
{
    exit;
}
global.test = true;

Last edited:
P

Petr Skornok

Has any progress been made on the issue where the game doesn't compile if it contains many assets (thousands of sprites and SFX) ending up with "Too many open files" Mono IO exception? It's been ongoing problem for the past 3 months which makes compiling our game very annoying, I've reported the issue multiple times. It compiles on 1 attempt out of 10, maybe based on the luck, good weather or Mono garbage collector?

Let me refer to the open ticket: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/requests/155811

Thanks.

Ricardo

I've reported a few bugs related to this release, but what's really bothering me is a HTML5 crash I can't isolate no matter what. It happens when moving from one room to another and is driving me crazy. Has anyone come across an error like this?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I've reported a few bugs related to this release, but what's really bothering me is a HTML5 crash I can't isolate no matter what. It happens when moving from one room to another and is driving me crazy. Has anyone come across an error like this?
Start by running on F6 instead of F5. If the error comes from your code, the name will reveal itself in a longer prefixed form somewhere in the stack trace. If the error comes from the engine, it will keep looking more or less the same.

From what the names look like around the point of the error, this looks a lot like an interoperability issue between persistence and layers.

chmod777

I've checked this also, it's code from debug mode, so... runner issue.
It seems to be related to persistent instances, so try to disable them just for testing.

Ricardo

Start by running on F6 instead of F5. If the error comes from your code, the name will reveal itself in a longer prefixed form somewhere in the stack trace. If the error comes from the engine, it will keep looking more or less the same.

From what the names look like around the point of the error, this looks a lot like an interoperability issue between persistence and layers.
I am running it on debug mode (F6), and even so I can't track down the error to my code. That's why I can't manage to isolate the issue to fill a bug report.
And yeah, I agree it seems like something about layers. I've been playing for hours with it to try to isolate the issue but I still have not got luck.

Ricardo

I've checked this also, it's code from debug mode, so... runner issue.
It seems to be related to persistent instances, so try to disable them just for testing.
Have you been able to isolate a case to properly report this issue?

Ricardo

Yes, when using instance_create_depth(x, y, depth, APersistentObject) and going to another room.
Great! I just reproduced it here. Funny thing is I don't use instance_create_depth on the current project I'm having issues with, but I definitely move persistent objects between rooms.

JeffJ

@Dan

About the local asset packages, does YoYoGames have any thoughts on this?

I do not, however, see a way to update said packages, which is basically the holy grail for me right now. The thing is, if you build a back-end of tools to use in a project, and improve them over the course of a project, and want to re-import those changes into the original back-end project: well, you might as well just give up. It's a pain to be kind.

L

Lonewolff

I'm finding when I turn off file system sand boxing that retrieving the attributes of either files or directories are reporting incorrect results.

Unless I am using these functions incorrectly. I have used my extension the past to break out of the sandbox.

This is showing the two text documents as hidden, and the sys files not. And a bunch of the items marked as directories are not directories at all.

Code:
// Create

var i = 0;

var directoryName = file_find_first("C:\*",fa_directory);

directoryArray[0] = "";

while(directoryName != "")
{
    directoryArray[i] = directoryName;
    directoryName = file_find_next();
    i++;
}

Code:
// Draw

var l=0;

repeat(array_length_1d(directoryArray))
{
    draw_text(20,l*12+20,"   " + string(directoryArray[l]));

if(!file_attributes("C:\\" + string(directoryArray[l]), fa_directory))
        draw_text(20,l*12+20,"D ");

if(file_attributes("C:\\" + string(directoryArray[l]), fa_hidden))
        draw_text(20,l*12+20," H ");

l++;
}

Zhanghua

I'm finding when I turn off file system sand boxing that retrieving the attributes of either files or directories are reporting incorrect results.

Unless I am using these functions incorrectly. I have used my extension the past to break out of the sandbox.

This is showing the two text documents as hidden, and the sys files not. And a bunch of the items marked as directories are not directories at all.

Code:
// Create

var i = 0;

var directoryName = file_find_first("C:\*",fa_directory);

directoryArray[0] = "";

while(directoryName != "")
{
    directoryArray[i] = directoryName;
    directoryName = file_find_next();
    i++;
}

Code:
// Draw

var l=0;

repeat(array_length_1d(directoryArray))
{
    draw_text(20,l*12+20,"   " + string(directoryArray[l]));

if(!file_attributes("C:\\" + string(directoryArray[l]), fa_directory))
        draw_text(20,l*12+20,"D ");

if(file_attributes("C:\\" + string(directoryArray[l]), fa_hidden))
        draw_text(20,l*12+20," H ");

l++;
}
I think it had some issue cause the dir "./" and "../" didn't shown yet.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
You can now prevent a whole HTML5 game to work by using the following advanced code:
Code:
window_set_cursor(cr_beam);
We accidentally raised some warnings to be errors on HTML5 and routed these errors through game_end(), so will get that sorted for the next beta release.

a trifle, of course, but a little confusing...
View attachment 25081
Yup, we have this one in Mantis. Will be fixing for the next beta.

@DanAbout the local asset packages, does YoYoGames have any thoughts on this?
No update dialog was designed/is currently planned, but I will add it to our suggestions list just now and we will discuss it further internally. These local asset packages were intended to be a quick export-and-pass-on-to-your-team-mate system. If you want to do updates and maintain version history, etc., then we would suggest you do actually want the Marketplace route, which offers all of that already.

variable_global_exists seems to always return true now, even though the global variable is initialized after the function is executed?
Is fixed now, will get this into the next beta release.

The real unsung hero of this update is the high-refresh-rate monitor IDE support. Finally! GMS2 shouldn't feel like it's lagging on my setup anymore.
Did 2.2.3 make this better on your machine, then? (I'm not actually sure where you're getting that info/impression from, as I didn't make that claim in the release notes, but as long as 2.2.3 works fine that's the main thing ;) )

Last edited:

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I wasn't aware when I made the release notes, etc., but it turns out if you try to build Google Play Services you will realise you need an updated version of the asset to match the 2.2.3 runtime, and this extension was already on the Marketplace and awaiting publishing.

I have now added a link to download the updated extension into the first post on this thread, and we will update the Marketplace version properly when 2.2.3 goes to Stable (or at least, closer to the time) - 2.2.2 and older can't build the new version, so we have to wait until 2.2.3 is ready and then update it for everyone at once.

Last edited:
Did 2.2.3 make this better on your machine, then? (I'm not actually sure where you're getting that info/impression from, as I didn't make that claim in the release notes, but as long as 2.2.3 works fine that's the main thing ;) )
I found the information on the bugtracker changlog. Bug 0030620 was marked as fixed in 2.2.3. Haven't updated as of yet, so I haven't been able to personally give it a try yet.

Ricardo

The option is in File > Preferences > General Settings > Maximum framerate of the GameMaker Studio 2 editor.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
You guys are correct. It somehow bypassed our paperwork system, so I didn't know to add it to the release notes. Backs of hands will be slapped... (And the release notes will be updated for the next beta release.)

Sorry for any confusion I caused ;)

EDIT: The release notes were updated and the feature was added to the manual for Beta IDE v2.2.3.426.

Last edited:

spinout

Anyone else having trouble building Android YYC in this build? Android VM works fine, YYC iOS works fine, but on Android it just gets stuck at [arm64-v8a] Install

chmod777

Fixed a number of inconsistencies with date_... functions on HTML5 so they now work the same way as Windows
I'm the one that made these reports, but you've missed to fix one: in HTML5, date_valid_datetime() still returns true for dates before 1/1/1970.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
So they can confirm the startup crash fixes and those who have persistent startup issues can actually use GMS2 - that's the short answer.

Gamerev147

I have a question about the Sandbox Off feature...
If I turn sandbox off, does that mean I can write a script in a text file and import it on the fly to run in Game Maker?
I know I could do this in GM8...

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
No - the old functions which got removed when the sandbox was added back in 1.x are still removed. The sandbox change in 2.2.3 is simply that you can read/write files outside of the previously-restricted save area - we haven't restored all the dodgy functions for opening and closing CD drives, launching other applications, editing the registry, etc., which are in pre-YoYo versions of GameMaker ;)

You can of course read in values from the text file and have your project code react accordingly, but execute_file() has not made a comeback.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I'm the one that made these reports, but you've missed to fix one: in HTML5, date_valid_datetime() still returns true for dates before 1/1/1970.
Thanks - added it now: https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=31072

Anyone else having trouble building Android YYC in this build? Android VM works fine, YYC iOS works fine, but on Android it just gets stuck at [arm64-v8a] Install
If you haven't already, please report it to the Helpdesk and ensure you attach a sample project which causes this as well as a .txt file containing your entire compiler log, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.