OFFICIAL GMS2 Version 2.2.2 (FULL RELEASE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Valhalla

Full-Time Developer
GMC Elder
It's certainly not a bug!
Maybe not. But it's damn close.

I also think you find this more of an issue than most due to your extensive use of the HTML5 platform, which I've found to be far more susceptible to cache issues than any of the other platforms (which may be something that is worth looking into, actually, as I'm not sure why that should be the case).
That seems very plausible to me.

Last edited:

Mick

Might I suggest have it so GM automatically does a full cache clean after it detects a change in GM version.
I second this, a new runtime/ide version is surely the most common reason for neeading to clean the cache. This should save both YoYo and users some trouble.

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
I had the same problem after updating. Try clicking the "Clean" button in the top left toolbar, that fixed it.

I wish GameMaker would resolve this type of behavior automatically though - it really shouldn't be the user's responsibility to deal with this or know when they have to click an obscure button. Beginners, students, and hobbyists must find this so frustrating.

It's the biggest flaw that I regularly encounter in GameMaker, to the point where it's basically a severe bug/crash. I don't know why YoYo Games have deemed this behavior to be acceptable; we should never have to click "Clean" as far as I'm concerned.

It's stupid. But no one talks about this, it's become the status quo.
GM does make sure the cache is cleared depending on the version but the cache system depends on file dates and they can get confused. Though there does seem to be a persistent HTML5 issue which we are still chasing, so I wouldn't say we deemed it acceptable.

funkygallo

Hi,
from yesterday, I have this strange error. I can't make any build via VM or YYC.
Please note that before I can build my exe and I haven't modify my config.
Any hint?

ide: v2.2.2.413
runtime: 2.2.2.326

Section: "Visual C++ Redistributable" ->(SEC_VCREDIST)
SectionIn: [RO]
SetOutPath: "$TEMP"
File: "vcredist_x86_2015.exe" [compress] 13552634/13767776 bytes
DetailPrint: "Running Visual Studio 2015 x86 Redistributable Setup..."
ExecWait: ""$TEMP\vcredist_x86_2015.exe" /quiet /norestart" (->$VCRedistSetupError)
DetailPrint: "end VS2015 x86"
Delete: "$TEMP\vcredist_x86_2015.exe"
SetOutPath: "$INSTDIR"
SectionEnd
Section: "Start Menu Shortcuts"
CreateDirectory expects 1 parameters, got 3.
Usage: CreateDirectory directory_name
Error in script "X:/\BaseProject\options\windows\installer\nsis_script.nsi" on line 204 -- aborting creation process

X:/\windows\makensis\makensis.exe exited with non-zero status (1)

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
"CreateDirectory expects 1 parameters, got 3." < I'd suggest that the game name or some other value in Game Options > Windows is invalid in some way. Would need to see the project/a screenshot of those options in order to be sure.

That VM fails also means it's a project value at fault, not an issue with Visual Studio and your YYC setup.

True Valhalla

Full-Time Developer
GMC Elder
GM does make sure the cache is cleared depending on the version but the cache system depends on file dates and they can get confused. Though there does seem to be a persistent HTML5 issue which we are still chasing, so I wouldn't say we deemed it acceptable.
That's just the impression I have after all of these years of inaction. Like I said, it seems to have become the status quo - it's not like this is anything new. I'm glad you're looking into it more closely and I hope you find something actionable to address.

To be honest, now that Mike has left YoYo Games I'm concerned about the HTML5 module. Traditionally it has been the least supported export and Mike seemed to be the most invested in improving it (especially towards the end of his stay). HTML5 seems to be in a decent state as of 2.2.2 Stable, but much like my ego, HTML5 is a fragile and overexposed module that needs ongoing attention.

Last edited:

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
That's just the impression I have after all of these years of inaction. Like I said, it seems to have become the status quo - it's not like this is anything new. I'm glad you're looking into it more closely and I hope you find something actionable to address.

To be honest, now that Mike has left YoYo Games I'm concerned about the HTML5 module. Traditionally it has been the least supported export and Mike seemed to be the most invested in improving it (especially towards the end of his stay). HTML5 seems to be in a decent state as of 2.2.2 Stable, but much like my ego, HTML5 is a fragile and exposed module that needs ongoing attention.
Haha, it's easy to see where you are coming from but I'll say outright that just because they might not shout as loud as Mike, we have other people here just as passionate about HTML5 (see Russell's profile picture :D) and overall we really do want to see every module in the best possible state!

True Valhalla

Full-Time Developer
GMC Elder
Haha, it's easy to see where you are coming from but I'll say outright that just because they might not shout as loud as Mike, we have other people here just as passionate about HTML5 (see Russell's profile picture :D) and overall we really do want to see every module in the best possible state!
That's really great to hear Ross. Definitely looking forward to seeing where GMS2 goes from here.

funkygallo

"CreateDirectory expects 1 parameters, got 3." < I'd suggest that the game name or some other value in Game Options > Windows is invalid in some way. Would need to see the project/a screenshot of those options in order to be sure.

That VM fails also means it's a project value at fault, not an issue with Visual Studio and your YYC setup.
Thanks for your suggestion, I solved the problem by shortening the text in the textbox display name .
But please that this display name was set since the first version created 2 months ago but only yesterday gave me problems (maybe with 2.2.2 release)
By the way now I can build again :)

from

Treasures of Roman Empire // Strange Beat Games // PRIVATE ALPHA - Private alpha don't distribuite

to

Treasures of Roman Empire // Strange Beat Games // PRIVATE ALPHA

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I just want to chime in about IDE crashes at startup --- it's still happening to me almost once every 4-5 startups. Since I've been told in my previous ticket to hold off until 2.2.3 adds new startup-level tracking (they can't spot what's wrong in my logs), I'll post about it here in case anyone else has the same symptoms.

I began to notice that the crashes often happened when it's checking the connection or the RSS feeds. It happened more frequently on my home connection (which got flagged down during March by CloudFlare due to an attack on my ISP), but also occasionally on other connections. I've only had one or two crashes while I'm completely offline, and each time it had to do with a memory hog other than GMS 2. This is clearly pointing fingers at improper handling of 4xx, 5xx or CloudFlare errors in the RSS parsing code.

As an added note, I would like to know if it's possible to completely disable the other languages and/or non-essential in-IDE marketing. I don't speak German or Spanish, and though I can read French, I never use it in the IDE. I also have all the exports already, so the sales mean nothing to me anymore. Every GMS 2 IDE on this planet is also requesting RSS feeds for all 4 languages and marketing material every time they start up. For a company that has known issues with DoS, reducing the automated traffic going into those places would be the least it could do.

I

immortalx

I have been having start-up crashes since months ago, with the same frequency as yours (once every 4-5 times). I don't know if it's the same issue, but the symptoms are always: no splash screen, a white window, and 2-3 popups with messages like "Unknown exception (0x000070A)". I've been told that it's probably the Windows dead lock issue

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I have been having start-up crashes since months ago, with the same frequency as yours (once every 4-5 times). I don't know if it's the same issue, but the symptoms are always: no splash screen, a white window, and 2-3 popups with messages like "Unknown exception (0x000070A)". I've been told that it's probably the Windows dead lock issue
One of the known causes listed on that ticket is when YoYo online material fails to load. So if the IDE could just pare down on the glitz and work, that's good enough for me. Crashing 20%+ of the time is much worse business than not showing us ads about what's going on sale or hot on their latest blog entry.

G

Hijacking a customer's network to force ads on that customer who paid $400 for your software, through that software, is trash. Any of us who did anything remotely like that in a game could expect an immediate uninstall plus one-star review.

LEGOlars

Having problems when drawing a custom font using draw_text_transformed.

font_issue_gms2.png

The background in the font sprite is transparent, so somehow characters get cut off.

Also, my IDE freezes when trying to close my project. May be related to large number of the newly detected warnings in the syntax error tab?

Last edited:

spinout

I just want to point out, this is the most unstable version of GM I've used since I started with it 3 years ago.

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Having problems when drawing a custom font using draw_text_transformed.

View attachment 24014
The background in the font sprite is transparent, so somehow characters get cut off.

Also, my IDE freezes when trying to close my project. May be related to large number of the newly detected warnings in the syntax error tab?
Please file a bug with an example attached! Thanks.

I would say the same for all crashes as well, it's frustrating when it happens I know and I always struggle to get out and promise things but we do have a system coming in 2.2.3 which we are hoping helps with crash reporting and we are really focusing on getting startup crashes crushed for 2.2.3.

hdarren

I am getting this too. Except it crunches the Disk at 100% while the CPU usage is in low tens.
I seem to stop getting this issue after I went through most of the syntax errors which can be found in the window tab thing at the bottom.

JeffJ

Please file a bug with an example attached! Thanks.

I would say the same for all crashes as well, it's frustrating when it happens I know and I always struggle to get out and promise things but we do have a system coming in 2.2.3 which we are hoping helps with crash reporting and we are really focusing on getting startup crashes crushed for 2.2.3.
Ross, any feedback or thoughts on the recent posts suggesting an option to opt out of ads in the IDE? I think those posts have very good arguments and maybe it's something you should consider - it seems like it could benefit both the customer and YYG to some extent. Plus especially in the case of full license owners, ads should really be something you can completely turn off. Would love to hear YYG's thoughts on this. This also goes for unnecessary calls to language packs etc. as mentioned by Frosty. Allow the customer to cut down on such frequent data redundancies - it would benefit both parties.

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Ross, any feedback or thoughts on the recent posts suggesting an option to opt out of ads in the IDE? I think those posts have very good arguments and maybe it's something you should consider - it seems like it could benefit both the customer and YYG to some extent. Plus especially in the case of full license owners, ads should really be something you can completely turn off. Would love to hear YYG's thoughts on this. This also goes for unnecessary calls to language packs etc. as mentioned by Frosty. Allow the customer to cut down on such frequent data redundancies - it would benefit both parties.
The carousel banners are only downloaded once when a new banner is published, so that's not constant internet checks like they're suggesting. Think we do check once on startup that the feed hasn't changed. However, in testing the internet connection on startup users CAN disable internet after licencing to check startup in offline mode and obviously, no carousel will be shown. It's very possible to just add this as an option so if we got a feature request and enough support we could totally add that.

Jack S

Hi I was merging the new runtime into our custom branch and noticed beyond the pulling of Facebook support y'all seem to have moved Push Notification support to a new plugin ... but for the life of me I can't find the new extension to integrate with our project. (While I can easily fix this to point at the old code since you didn't remove the IDE convenience calls, I'd like to get the new extension and get the migration over with.)

upload_2019-4-4_14-37-24.png

A second thing I've found today while working on upgrading.

real() will now crash if you feed it a string it can't convert. I can accept this however I've run into a problem - we use a lot of XML for data and we don't know if the data is a number of a string. Now the anomalous behavior of returning zero was annoying so good that it's gone.

The issue is is_real() doesn't return true if you feed it a string (ex: "20303") even tho it can be converted and their is no function to quickly and easily check if a string can be converted to a real, and without the try / catch update we get crashes.

(Yes I'm aware that we can solve this with some clever scripting ourselves to create the function) I however feel that this is a bit of an oversight when making this change.

Third thing (a few hours later) the below causes a hard crash on windows - no message, no popup, it just goes away. (simplified version below) send empty string into string_digits and boom. I suspect it should pass an empty string out.

Code:
var str = "";
var output = string_digits(str);

Last edited:

pipebkOT

Hi I was merging the new runtime into our custom branch and noticed beyond the pulling of Facebook support y'all seem to have moved Push Notification support to a new plugin ... but for the life of me I can't find the new extension to integrate with our project. (While I can easily fix this to point at the old code since you didn't remove the IDE convenience calls, I'd like to get the new extension and get the migration over with.)

View attachment 24048

A second thing I've found today while working on upgrading.

real() will now crash if you feed it a string it can't convert. I can accept this however I've run into a problem - we use a lot of XML for data and we don't know if the data is a number of a string. Now the anomalous behavior of returning zero was annoying so good that it's gone.

The issue is is_real() doesn't return true if you feed it a string (ex: "20303") even tho it can be converted and their is no function to quickly and easily check if a string can be converted to a real, and without the try / catch update we get crashes.

(Yes I'm aware that we can solve this with some clever scripting ourselves to create the function) I however feel that this is a bit of an oversight when making this change.

Third thing (a few hours later) the below causes a hard crash on windows - no message, no popup, it just goes away. (simplified version below) send empty string into string_digits and boom. I suspect it should pass an empty string out.

Code:
var str = "";
var output = string_digits(str);
https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/8090/google-push-notifications

bluetrack

Hi, I posted these two issues as seperate threads in the GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support but I just saw there is this specific thread about issues with the latest release. Not sure whih of the two I should be using.

1) When i use Android Output "VM" my game compiles fine. When I use "YYC" I get the error below. Some time back I remember there was an issue when the game title had an apostrophe in its name so as a workaround i vahe been using \' as in "Bob\'s adventure". Is this what the matching '" error means below? I tried removing the apostrophe completely but still it does not compile with same error. I delete temp folder files and cache btw before recompiling.

saving file /var/folders/lx/hkx0lt0j01dcdpb_c447c59r0000gn/GameMakerStudio2/GMS2TEMP/Bob's_Adventure_36AEA0EE_YYC/Bob's Adventure.droid
/bin/sh: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file
make: *** [clean-installed-binaries] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

2) Just realized that the D-pad buttons stopped being recognized! Everything else works fine, like "gp_shoulderl" left and right stick etc. I have been using them in code that I did not touch and used to work fine, and now it stopped working.

example:
This doesn't work: gamepad_button_check_pressed(global.active_gp, gp_padu);
This works: gamepad_button_check_pressed(global.active_gp, gp_shoulderr);

bluetrack

Hi, I posted these two issues as seperate threads in the GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support but I just saw there is this specific thread about issues with the latest release. Not sure whih of the two I should be using.

1) When i use Android Output "VM" my game compiles fine. When I use "YYC" I get the error below. Some time back I remember there was an issue when the game title had an apostrophe in its name so as a workaround i vahe been using \' as in "Bob\'s adventure". Is this what the matching '" error means below? I tried removing the apostrophe completely but still it does not compile with same error. I delete temp folder files and cache btw before recompiling.

saving file /var/folders/lx/hkx0lt0j01dcdpb_c447c59r0000gn/GameMakerStudio2/GMS2TEMP/Bob's_Adventure_36AEA0EE_YYC/Bob's Adventure.droid
/bin/sh: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file
make: *** [clean-installed-binaries] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

2) Just realized that the D-pad buttons stopped being recognized! Everything else works fine, like "gp_shoulderl" left and right stick etc. I have been using them in code that I did not touch and used to work fine, and now it stopped working.

example:
This doesn't work: gamepad_button_check_pressed(global.active_gp, gp_padu);
This works: gamepad_button_check_pressed(global.active_gp, gp_shoulderr);
Update:
------------
for 1) Found a solution: It was the project filename and project folder name that also had an apostrophe in their name. After removing it `android YYC compiles. I filed a bug report.
for 2) It seems to be a bug. I filed a bug report.

S

SVG

HTML5 export: Spine has a major issue! (I'll file a bug bug, but just in case somebody knows a fix... I'm posting here).

The "Animation Event" where you grab the event in a sprite from spine works EXACTLY as expected!... ...when only one instance with that spine sprite is active...
as soon a I introduce another, the event SOMEHOW triggers across ALL instances with the same sprite... it actually gets worse; it triggers across even completely different OBJECTS also with the same spine sprite...

For example: an instance of obj_star is created in game with a sprite name for ex: spr_spine, it plays it's animation just fine, and when it triggers a certain event (lets say "animation end" event), it would run a different animation which works just fine...
Oh Crap!: Here comes Mr. obj_crap with the same spr_spine 30 frames later... When obj_star hits it's "animation end" event to trigger maybe a (idk) "shine" animation... obj_crap comes in a wants to trigger at the same exact time when IT'S NOT HIS TURN YET AND WANTS TO CRAP ALL OVER MY STAR!!! Instead of waiting his turn he somehow shines at the same time too when his personal "event" hasn't triggered yet :p By the way this works fine on other exports, just HTML5...

Oh and please don't crap on me and say "well you can just do THIS to make it work" YEAH I KNOW and I already fixed a work around haha SO THERE! I just want consistency that's all. Thanks! I LOVE YOU GM2 YOYO FORUM DEV CREATOR HOBBIESTS!!!!!

Maybe not. But it's damn close.
HAHAHA That's great! When my wife saw my game when something similar happened, she said "NO WAIT DON'T FIX IT, I WANNA PLAY IT LIKE THIS!"

Last edited by a moderator:

rIKmAN

HTML5 export: Spine has a major issue! (I'll file a bug bug, but just in case somebody knows a fix... I'm posting here).

The "Animation Event" where you grab the event in a sprite from spine works EXACTLY as expected!... ...when only one instance with that spine sprite is active...
as soon a I introduce another, the event SOMEHOW triggers across ALL instances with the same sprite... it actually gets worse; it triggers across even completely different OBJECTS also with the same spine sprite...

For example: an instance of obj_star is created in game with a sprite name for ex: spr_spine, it plays it's animation just fine, and when it triggers a certain event (lets say "animation end" event), it would run a different animation which works just fine...
Oh Crap!: Here comes Mr. obj_crap with the same spr_spine 30 frames later... When obj_star hits it's "animation end" event to trigger maybe a (idk) "shine" animation... obj_crap comes in a wants to trigger at the same exact time when IT'S NOT HIS TURN YET AND WANTS TO CRAP ALL OVER MY STAR!!! Instead of waiting his turn he somehow shines at the same time too when his personal "event" hasn't triggered yet :p By the way this works fine on other exports, just HTML5...

Oh and please don't crap on me and say "well you can just do THIS to make it work" YEAH I KNOW and I already fixed a work around haha SO THERE! I just want consistency that's all. Thanks! I LOVE YOU GM2 YOYO FORUM DEV CREATOR HOBBIESTS!!!!!

HAHAHA That's great! When my wife saw my game when something similar happened, she said "NO WAIT DON'T FIX IT, I WANNA PLAY IT LIKE THIS!"
Sounds like it may be related to this bug but behind the scenes with events too.

It's also possible that that bug fix will solve your issue too, but can you report it with a small repro example project just so YYG are aware of it?

Anyone else experiencing issues opening File Explorer from inside the Standalone IDE v.2.2.2.413 - Master Runtime v.2.2.2.326? I am, it kept freezing whenever I perform action that will open the File Explorer, e.g. trying to import image, trying to make new project, trying to import project, or trying to open project. No error message or anything, but it do cause me to have to force close the IDE via task manager because it just froze infinitely. And no, I didn't mess with the IDE settings or options. Anyway, I found that if I revert to Beta Runtime v.2.2.2.325 / Master Runtime v.2.2.1.291 the issue is resolved. The Steam version running the same IDE v.2.2.2.413 - Master Runtime v.2.2.2.326 didn't face that issue, as such I'm back to using the Steam version.

Last edited:
P

ph101

Anyone else experiencing issues opening File Explorer from inside the Standalone IDE v.2.2.2.413 - Master Runtime v.2.2.2.326? I am, it kept freezing whenever I perform action that will open the File Explorer, e.g. trying to import image, trying to make new project, trying to import project, or trying to open project. No error message or anything, but it do cause me to have to force close the IDE via task manager because it just froze infinitely. And no, I didn't mess with the IDE settings or options. Anyway, I found that if I revert to Beta Runtime v.2.2.2.325 / Master Runtime v.2.2.1.291 the issue is resolved. The Steam version running the same IDE v.2.2.2.413 - Master Runtime v.2.2.2.326 didn't face that issue, as such I'm back to using the Steam version.
You should report this so YYG know that this https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=30271 is not resolved

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
The report isn't marked as Resolved or Closed, so we know it's not fixed (unfortunately), and we don't need more duplicate Helpdesk tickets about it. Thanks anyway, though.

FYI, we are actively working with Microsoft to help them investigate this at the moment.

F

Frisk17

Um.... the mono version of visual studio 2019 is causing build errors.. any updates....

acidemic

When I add swf sprite to the game or if I duplicate one added previously and use it in game, I am gettting D3D crash. Swf sprites added previously work good. Problem is only with the new ones.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
File a bug report and attach a small sample project which shows the crash (File > Export inside GMS2 to make a .yyz file), then we can get this fixed. Thanks.

Japster

Ok, I'm going to give my personal opinion on this release:

Some of the crashes/weird behaviors that happened on my project:
1 - Setting an alarm like "alarm[0] = 0.01 * FRAMES" doesn't work on this version, but "alarm[0] = 0.02 * FRAMES" works (FRAMES = game FPS), this could be actually my fault, not blamming anyone on this;

:)
Seconded....

This is EXACTLY what happened to me - in fact, I was using the same values in a couple of places - those places seemed to work (but threw out other timing) when I tried the same thing originally - ie. doubled the delay (although I was using room_speed)

(PS - I know I need to use delta time or the above, but like I say, it worked perfectly in the earlier runtime, and really weirdly/broken with the latest runtime)...

X

xoxo

Hi, so I know that this version was supposed to address how fonts are handled, but I updated a font on my computer and GMS2 keeps showing the older version of it. After reinstalling the font I regenerated the font texture, cleaned the cache, refreshed system fonts, and even completely uninstalled the fonts from my PC. In every case, the dropdown menu for "select font" has the old version in it (even when it was uninstalled). Is there something I'm missing or not doing correctly?

Speederman

I'm really happy that you have already added Firebase push notifications! Thanks!

However, I've just integrated them and they work fine, but the Yoyo's Gamemager 'G' icon appears on them instead of the game's one and I've not found any place where I can change it...

J

jwrose

I had the same problem after updating. Try clicking the "Clean" button in the top left toolbar, that fixed it.

I wish GameMaker would resolve this type of behavior automatically though - it really shouldn't be the user's responsibility to deal with this or know when they have to click an obscure button. Beginners, students, and hobbyists must find this so frustrating.

It's the biggest flaw that I regularly encounter in GameMaker, to the point where it's basically a severe bug/crash. I don't know why YoYo Games have deemed this behavior to be acceptable; we should never have to click "Clean" as far as I'm concerned.

It's stupid. But no one talks about this, it's become the status quo.
THANK YOU! I learned something today.
On one hand I'm glad it wasn't the result of something stupid I accidentally did- on the other hand, why is this a manual feature?

camerakid

Hey Guys,

Any news on the 2.2.3 update? I'm really dying for the Mac VM update with the icon error. It would be so great to re-submit for Apple as soon as possible :eek:

clee2005

@camerakid I have the same problem but was able to get around it with App Wrapper 3. It's free for first usage too I think, but I bought it cause I've been using it for months with GMS2's issue. Works well.

camerakid

@camerakid I have the same problem but was able to get around it with App Wrapper 3. It's free for first usage too I think, but I bought it cause I've been using it for months with GMS2's issue. Works well.
Oh my that might be a life saver for me too I go and get it right now. Can I contact you maybe you can help me out with some tips on the usage!! :) Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.