OFFICIAL GMS2 Version 2.2.2 (BETA RELEASE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Beta IDE Release Notes
Beta Runtime Release Notes
Beta Opt-In FAQ
 (How to get on the Beta Channel)

This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to the update of GameMaker Studio 2. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal usinghttps://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us#studio2

2.2.2 sees a major update to our Spine support, an update to our font functionality, and changes to handling audio on HTML5 (especially iOS and Android browsers). Plus, more stability fixes and extra dialogues to better inform you of system issues. With 2.2.2 beta releases, we're especially keen for feedback on the following key areas. For those key areas we have created a different thread for each linked below, please discuss each change in its respected thread.

For everything else and general issues related to 2.2.2 please discuss here.

Spine Runtime Update: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gms2-spine-runtime-update-2-2-2.58933/

Font Editor / Font Support Update: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gms2-font-update-2-2-2.58934/

HTML5 Audio: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gms2-html5-audio-2-2-2.58935/

The new Facebook extension is not on the Marketplace during the beta period, but can be downloaded here: iOS, Android and HTML5: Integrating Facebook

Latest IDE v2.2.2.412 Runtime v2.2.2.325

New in IDE 406

• Fixed referencing an audiogroup resource in the code editor caused an incorrect "unassigned variable" syntax error

New in Runtime 320
  • Fixed http_request() crash on iOS if you used buffers as part of your request
  • Fixed colour_get_red/blue/green() gave the wrong value if the colour had an alpha value also
  • Fixed an issue with multiple Vkeys on iOS using the same chracter to bind to were only detecting one Vkey press, not all of them
  • Fixed an in-game error if you used "undefined" as a switch value, but didn't include a case for "undefined" yourself
  • Fixed an issue using "undefined" as a variable's value an if() and short-circuiting occurs throws a "REAL argument is undefined" error on YYC
  • Fixed the asset compiler rounding string(9.999) to "10", when in-game would correctly return "9.999"
  • Fixed macOS not showing in-game output logging properly if you're using the Windows IDE (Mac IDE has been fine for a while)
  • Fixed the pitch value for a sound being applied twice by audio_emitter_velocity() since runtime 312
  • Fixed an issue where nested with()s in which the inner with() also modified the outer instance caused "I32 argument is unset" errors in-game
  • Fixed HTML5 not applying instance image speed and frame values set in the room editor
  • Changed YYC so when doing int64 * double/real this gives the same floating point result as VM does

Fourth Beta release v2.2.2.401 and Runtime v2.2.2.314 - Please update to the latest version above!

New in IDE 401
  • Added manual content for the DPI safety net feature
  • Added a line into the ui.log to record the GMS2 skin in use, helpw catch issues with invalid custom skins
  • Changed Marketplace package export/import processes to create a temporary drive, fixes issues where extensions in the asset have really long file paths
  • Note: This long filepaths issue affects the updated Google Play Licensing and APK Expansion extensions, so you need to use the 2.2.2 IDE to import these
New in Runtime 314
  • Fixed place_empty() errors in runtime 312
  • Fixed an issue where Gamecenter, push notification and IAP support were not being detected and set properly in a macOS build's Xcode project's Entitlements section
  • Fixed same thing for Gamecenter in iOS builds (iOS IAPs and push notifications were fixed earlier in 2.2.2)

Third Beta release v2.2.2.399 and Runtime v2.2.2.312 - Please update to the latest version above!

New in IDE 399
  • Fixed GMS2 locking up when clicking the Explorer/Finder links to the resources folder on disk when following any tutorials
  • Fixed GMS2 crash when using source control and creating a repository "Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute."
  • Fixed a "GMS2 unstable" when viewing the iOS devices list after any other section in Device Manager
  • Fixed the code editor offsetting region start/ends by +1
  • Fixed an issue for Windows IDE where the DPI settings in Preferences was capped at 122 in earlier 2.2.2 versions
  • Note: On detecting a very high DPI override, the IDE will now show a "Is this DPI okay for you?" prompt and a suggested value to use instead
  • Fixed that iPhone XS/XR splash screens were not being linked to the placeholder images when creating new projects
  • Fixed the setting of a number of splash screens in Game Options when importing an older project
  • Fixed the room editor not applying an instance's sprite's origin offset to the grid snap when you dragged a multi-selection around your room
  • Fixed applying a previously-saved layout file to a different project renamed any child windows to be the layout's original project name
  • Fixed My Library so the refresh button at the top of the assets list always refreshes the list - stops issues when My Library is already open and you publish an asset update
  • Fixed HTML5's game option to include the default particle images or not
  • Fixed issues with Included Files still being exported to platforms the file had been excluded for in child Configurations
  • Changed the syntax checking system to include macros also
I am aware that the release notes mistakenly call the second beta release 305, not 302 - we will fix that, there is no need to report a bug, thanks ;)

New in Runtime 312
  • Fixed Ubuntu YYC not building any projects in earlier 2.2.2 versions
  • Fixed building a Steam game for macOS VM throwing an "image not found" error when using the Mac IDE
  • Fixed a large number of YYC inconsistencies with VM
  • Fixed HTML5 games didn't work in non-WebAudio browsers (e.g., IE11) since the recent permissions system added in 2.2.2
  • Fixed issues with iOS splash screens not being set correctly in Xcode projects, so didn't work on certain devices
  • Fixed collision issues with place_empty()
  • Fixed variable_global_get() to return undefined when no such variable was found
  • Fixed instance_number() so it now counts the same number of instances that with() does
  • Fixed HTML5 errors/crashes when calling ini_key_delete() or variable_instance_get_names()
  • Fixed HTML5 layer_get_all_elements() not handling an undefined value properly
  • Fixed various issues with buffer_base64_decode() and made them more consistent native vs HTML5.
  • Fixed a runner crash with instance_deactivate_all()
  • Fixed/optimised an issue with building very large sprites - also added an error message for when a sprite is simply too large and you must reduce it
  • Fixed audio_emitter_velocity() to also change the pitch of the sound as documented
  • Fixed Windows YYC "error: member reference base type 'double' is not a structure or union" when using div
  • Changed Push Notifications support on Google Play to be a new extension (coming soon)
Also, forgotten from the releases notes is that place_empty() can now take an optional argument for the type of object to check for. If the argument isn't supplied, the function defaults to "all" to preserve the classic behaviour. Will fix the release notes for the Stable.

Second Beta release v2.2.2.393 and Runtime v2.2.2.308 - Please update to the latest version above!

IDE 393
  • Fixed a number of stability issues for high CPU usage and crashes caused by the new syntax-checker - also added a new Preference for if you want to turn this off (Languages > GML > "Enable variable reference warnings")
  • Changed the syntax warnings to use a different icon in the gutter, etc., so they stand out more from normal errors
  • Fixed an issue with unterminated strings or comments inside regions causing syntax-checker issues
  • Another fix for no macOS VM icon being seen after submitting to the App Store
  • Fixed building Ubuntu YYC when your code has characters from the extended ASCII range
  • Fixed the dialog for renaming a folder to be a duplicate name, so now the duplicated name is mentioned in the dialog
  • Fixed a resource tree issue where reordering items could sometimes break them out of their resource type and add them to the very bottom of the tree
  • Fixed an issue with the project repair tool not saving its fix properly, and so trying to run the game complained about missing resources which the IDE could see fine

Runtime 308
  • Made YYC ignore empty scripts the same as VM does, stops in-game code error
  • Fixed an issue with virtual keys firing twice per touch on iOS
  • Fixed a number of issues with strings - being equal to 0 in the last runtime, and 3 x "9" not resulting in "999"
  • Fixed ternary operators not working in YYC
  • Fixed the runner not starting if you are using the WARP software renderer
  • Fixed/Changed ffmpeg to ignore video or image streams in audio files to stop ogg conversion errors (but we would always say to remove these streams anyway...)
  • Fixed iOS YYC builds failing if you have included push notification support
  • Fixed an asset compiler error if a single large sprite fills an entire texture page and doesn't leave enough space for the border to be applied

First Beta release v2.2.2.390 and Runtime v2.2.2.302 - Please update to the latest version above!

Last edited:

gnysek

Ideally, I would like to see an editor, where I can edit every gylph (sprite) of font, and set it's sizes/paddings/positions etc. from own sprites in addition to what GMS offers, but seems that this improvement in 2.2.2 is still a step forward and gives much better results.

Bruchpilot

There had been an issue for several releases about the debug overlay not showing uncapped fps, instead dropping back to 59/60 after a couple of seconds of running.
I ran my test case against 2.2.2 and this looks fixed now.

Ricardo

@rmanthorp There seems to be something weird about strings and real casting. If you compare a string against a real, it now bring up unexpected results.
E.g.:
Code:
var myStr = "str"
if (myStr != 0) show_debug_message("true") else show_debug_message("false")
This returns false in this new runtime (Windows VM), but I'm pretty sure "str" is surely different than 0 so what the hell?

Last edited:

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Okay, this is wrong and we are now adding a fix for the next beta release. However, the issue is specifically only what you have done there (0 != 0) or (0 == 0).

(Those are not emotes. ;) )

Last edited:

Ricardo

Okay, this is wrong and we are now adding a fix for the next beta release. However, the issue is specifically only what you have done there (0 != 0) or (0 == 0).

(Those are not emotes. ;) )
@Dan What do you mean exactly with "However, the issue is specifically only what you have done there (0 != 0) or (0 == 0)"? I have a big VN engine and in several parts I compare string against reals reproducing the same inconsistency.

Mert

@rmanthorp thank you very much, the beta update is released quickly.

A couple of suggestions if you'd like to listen:
  • Updated Google Play Game Services extension. We all received e-mail from Google that
    On March 7, 2019, all Google+ APIs and Google+ Sign-in will be shut down completely
    It included a list of our apps that use some of the soon-to-be deprecating features. Google has made another ways to log into the game services.
  • Official extensions on GitHub so that people can contribute to the development of the extensions (for bug fixing/implementing missing features etc.)
  • A better designing panel on IDE for extensions: To be able to see Java code on IDE and to be able to pass data types other than string/double. (Maybe on long term)

IGameArt

Can someone explain to me why the ternary operators bug fix which has been fixed in gitlab since January 9th has been pushed back to version 2.2.3? We're supposed to be launching a huge update to our game and we need that fix!

pic1 is my game when playing.

pic2 is inside Spine/not running my game.

pic3 shows that I have Bleed ticked.

For some reason when I run my game, my Spine characters have a small black border around every image.

Attachments

JeffJ

I'll be testing Spine functions up and down the street for the next week or so, but right off the bat:

Is there any way to turn off the new variable warning thing? It looks exactly the same as an actual syntax error (the kind that won't let you compile) and it's actually rather distracting when just working on a quick thing where it doesn't really matter.

Two things:
1: If there's not already an option to turn it off, there desperately needs to be.
2: You really should make it look different. Maybe a yellow rectangle instead of a red circle? Warnings should be visually easy to distinct from errors.

Oh, and some positive feedback:

I like that you're now showing a "Are you sure?" warning when removing an event, but when I read it, I thought "Oh no, I hope there's an option to disable it"... Turns out you can simply click "don't show again". Awesome!

While on that subject, where do we turn those things back on later?

I

immortalx

@JeffJ File->Preferences->Object Editor->Confirm Dialogues->Automatic Choice On Event Deletion

And I agree,a different icon/color for warnings should be better.

xygthop3

Did something change with surfaces in the DrawGUI event?
This code works in v2.2.1 but now shows a black screen in v2.2.2

Code:
surface_set_target(surface_2);
    draw_surface(surface_1,0,0);
surface_reset_target();

draw_surface(surface_2, 0, 0);

I

immortalx

There seems to be something wrong with the new feature which gives warnings about unassigned variables.
In the case of variables assigned an enum value, a project which had previously no warnings, suddenly shows warnings when you close and reopen the project.

The problem is that this behavior is random. Out of the 10 launches of this test project, half of them showed the warnings. It doesn't seem to affect anything because if you switch to another tab and then come back to the code tab, the warnings disappear.
Just reporting this here and in case anyone can confirm that, I could file a bug report.

To reproduce:
either download the included project file or create a blank project with a single object placed in a room. In the object's create event enter:
Code:
enum TEST
{
    ENUM_VAL_1,
    ENUM_VAL_2,
    ENUM_VAL_3
}

some_var = TEST.ENUM_VAL_1;
and in the step event enter:
Code:
switch (some_var)
{
    case TEST.ENUM_VAL_1:
        show_debug_message("first");
    break;

case TEST.ENUM_VAL_2:
        show_debug_message("second");
    break;

case TEST.ENUM_VAL_3:
        show_debug_message("third");
    break;
}
If you exit and re-launch GMS2 and open this project, you should see the warnings. Try it at least a couple of times.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/tcro313kegrnf0l/warningtest.yyz?dl=0

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Added mention of the new Facebook article/extension into Ross's first post on the thread.

iPad Pro support has been added which is fantastic but I do notice that it struggles to run a basic game and creates screen tear when running a horizontal scroller. My ipad air 2 and iphone xs doesn't have this issue. Will/can anything be done to improve this?

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
There seems to be something wrong with the new feature which gives warnings about unassigned variables.
In the case of variables assigned an enum value, a project which had previously no warnings, suddenly shows warnings when you close and reopen the project.
Has now been fixed for the next beta release. It was starting the syntax check during the open/import process, so we have now made it wait until the project is fully loaded.

There is also a partnering fix, where if you import a 1.4 project then that doesn't do this syntax parsing on room or instance creation code until the project is saved and reopened.

iPad Pro support has been added which is fantastic but I do notice that it struggles to run a basic game and creates screen tear when running a horizontal scroller. My ipad air 2 and iphone xs doesn't have this issue. Will/can anything be done to improve this?
Any chance you're testing this using a simulator? We do not recommend using simulators, only real devices, because the performance will not be representitive of when using a real device. Obviously, this is a decent-spec device and so should have no issues running games, so if you're using a real iPad Pro, then please let us know the model number and also send us a sample of what you're calling a "basic game".

Last edited:

spinout

Anyone else have to roll back? My iOS builds kept failing on this version. Looks like it was being caused by push notifications.

It looks like my projects are not cleaning properly. I noticed some sprites using the wrong texture. Cleaned the project and same thing.

Then I tried to change the texture group for a sprite that I noticed was not correct, and I keep getting this while compiling.

Writing Chunk... TPAGE
Texture Group - __YY__0s_truckShadow_YYG_AUTO_GEN_TEX_GROUP_NAME_0
Texture Group - Default
This should not happen #2

Unhandled Exception: System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
at GMAssetCompiler.Texture.(IntPtr , IntPtr , UInt32 )
at GMAssetCompiler.Texture.()
at GMAssetCompiler.TexturePage.()
at GMAssetCompiler.WADSaver`1.(GMAssets , Stream , IFF )
at ..(Stream , IFF )
at GMAssetCompiler.IFF.(Stream , TextWriter )
at GMAssetCompiler.WADSaver`1.(GMAssets , Stream , List`1 , Dictionary`2 )
at GMAssetCompiler.IFFSaver.(GMAssets , String )
at GMAssetCompiler.Program.(GMAssets )
at GMAssetCompiler.Program.(String[] )

Then failed to complete.

Tried delete Asset cache, IDE cache, Temp folder. Tried reverting back to ide v2.2.1.374 then back to v2.2.2.390.
Bug or did it ruin the project?

I

immortalx

I noticed that the occurrence of the windows deadlock issue is ultra high in this beta. I hope this gets fixed soon because even the stable version suffers badly, albeit not as much as the beta.

My beta version has crashed 3 or 4 times today, each time was when I was typing some code and the autocomplete window popped up.

The IDE then froze and was unresponsive to any input. I waited a at least 5 minutes in one case, after that I just killed GMS 2 using Task Manager.

Looking at the last entry in the UI.log file shows the following:

Code:
[04:18:34:629(b64e)] --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[04:18:34:631(b64e)] IDE Exception: System.AggregateException
[04:18:34:632(b64e)] Exception message: One or more errors occurred.
[04:18:34:656(b64e)] Exception stack:    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.FastWaitAll(Task[] tasks)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.Invoke(ParallelOptions parallelOptions, Action[] actions)
   at YoYoStudio.TextEditor.GMLDef.()
   at YoYoStudio.TextEditor.GMLDef.( , GMLInfo )
   at YoYoStudio.TextEditor.GMLDef..()
   at YoYoStudio.FileAPI.AsyncQueue.DispatchCompletedRequests()
   at YoYoStudio.Plugins.MethodContainer.(Object[] )
   at YoYoStudio.Plugins.Command.execute_object(String _command, Object _focus, Object[] paramaters)
   at YoYoStudio.Plugins.Command.Perform(Function _command, String _action, Object[] _parameters)
   at YoYoStudio.Plugins.Command.execute_object(String _command, Object _focus, Object[] paramaters)
   at YoYoStudio.IDE.Run()
   at YoYoStudio.IDE.Execute(String[] _args, Int32 _initialWidth, Int32 _initialHeight)
[04:18:34:657(b64e)] ----------------------------------------
[04:18:34:658(b64e)] Inner Exception: System.AggregateException
[04:18:34:659(b64e)] Inner Exception message: One or more errors occurred.
[04:18:34:661(b64e)] Inner Exception stack:    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.PartitionerForEachWorker[TSource,TLocal](Partitioner`1 source, ParallelOptions parallelOptions, Action`1 simpleBody, Action`2 bodyWithState, Action`3 bodyWithStateAndIndex, Func`4 bodyWithStateAndLocal, Func`5 bodyWithEverything, Func`1 localInit, Action`1 localFinally)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.ForEachWorker[TSource,TLocal](IEnumerable`1 source, ParallelOptions parallelOptions, Action`1 body, Action`2 bodyWithState, Action`3 bodyWithStateAndIndex, Func`4 bodyWithStateAndLocal, Func`5 bodyWithEverything, Func`1 localInit, Action`1 localFinally)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.ForEach[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Action`2 body)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
[04:18:34:662(b64e)] ----------------------------------------
[04:18:34:663(b64e)] Inner Exception: System.IndexOutOfRangeException
[04:18:34:664(b64e)] Inner Exception message: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
[04:18:34:720(b64e)] Inner Exception stack:    at System.Collections.Generic.HashSet`1.AddIfNotPresent(T value)
   at System.Collections.Generic.HashSet`1.UnionWith(IEnumerable`1 other)
   at YoYoStudio.TextEditor.GMLDef.(String )
   at YoYoStudio.TextEditor.GMLDef..(KeyValuePair`2 , ParallelLoopState )
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.<>c__DisplayClass42_0`2.<PartitionerForEachWorker>b__1()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvokeWithArg(Task childTask)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.<>c__DisplayClass176_0.<ExecuteSelfReplicating>b__0(Object )
[04:18:34:721(b64e)] --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[04:18:34:722(b64e)] ####################################
[04:18:34:723(b64e)] Break in FatalErrorWarning (IDE:2698)
[04:18:34:724(b64e)] ####################################

Just mentioning it here to see if anyone else has encountered this.

The last few lines mention System.IndexOutOfRangeException so I was wondering if it is something to do with enumerating the list of autocomplete variables.

rIKmAN

My beta version has crashed 3 or 4 times today, each time was when I was typing some code and the autocomplete window popped up.

The IDE then froze and was unresponsive to any input. I waited a at least 5 minutes in one case, after that I just killed GMS 2 using Task Manager.

Looking at the last entry in the UI.log file shows the following:

Code:
[04:18:34:629(b64e)] --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[04:18:34:631(b64e)] IDE Exception: System.AggregateException
[04:18:34:632(b64e)] Exception message: One or more errors occurred.
[04:18:34:656(b64e)] Exception stack:    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.FastWaitAll(Task[] tasks)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.Invoke(ParallelOptions parallelOptions, Action[] actions)
   at YoYoStudio.TextEditor.GMLDef.( , GMLInfo )
   at YoYoStudio.FileAPI.AsyncQueue.DispatchCompletedRequests()
   at YoYoStudio.Plugins.MethodContainer.(Object[] )
   at YoYoStudio.Plugins.Command.Perform(Function _command, String _action, Object[] _parameters)
   at YoYoStudio.IDE.Run()
   at YoYoStudio.IDE.Execute(String[] _args, Int32 _initialWidth, Int32 _initialHeight)
[04:18:34:657(b64e)] ----------------------------------------
[04:18:34:658(b64e)] Inner Exception: System.AggregateException
[04:18:34:659(b64e)] Inner Exception message: One or more errors occurred.
[04:18:34:661(b64e)] Inner Exception stack:    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.PartitionerForEachWorker[TSource,TLocal](Partitioner`1 source, ParallelOptions parallelOptions, Action`1 simpleBody, Action`2 bodyWithState, Action`3 bodyWithStateAndIndex, Func`4 bodyWithStateAndLocal, Func`5 bodyWithEverything, Func`1 localInit, Action`1 localFinally)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.ForEachWorker[TSource,TLocal](IEnumerable`1 source, ParallelOptions parallelOptions, Action`1 body, Action`2 bodyWithState, Action`3 bodyWithStateAndIndex, Func`4 bodyWithStateAndLocal, Func`5 bodyWithEverything, Func`1 localInit, Action`1 localFinally)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.ForEach[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Action`2 body)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
[04:18:34:662(b64e)] ----------------------------------------
[04:18:34:663(b64e)] Inner Exception: System.IndexOutOfRangeException
[04:18:34:664(b64e)] Inner Exception message: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
[04:18:34:720(b64e)] Inner Exception stack:    at System.Collections.Generic.HashSet`1.AddIfNotPresent(T value)
   at System.Collections.Generic.HashSet`1.UnionWith(IEnumerable`1 other)
   at YoYoStudio.TextEditor.GMLDef..(KeyValuePair`2 , ParallelLoopState )
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.<>c__DisplayClass42_0`2.<PartitionerForEachWorker>b__1()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvokeWithArg(Task childTask)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.<>c__DisplayClass176_0.<ExecuteSelfReplicating>b__0(Object )
[04:18:34:721(b64e)] --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[04:18:34:722(b64e)] ####################################
[04:18:34:723(b64e)] Break in FatalErrorWarning (IDE:2698)
[04:18:34:724(b64e)] ####################################

Just mentioning it here to see if anyone else has encountered this.

The last few lines mention System.IndexOutOfRangeException so I was wondering if it is something to do with enumerating the list of autocomplete variables.
Yeah I've decided to roll back because the crashing was so frequent, I think it's to do with the new warning system or as you say the autocomplete (probably related?) as it's when code is being typed.

I've had the exact same thing as you: white screen hang, sometimes with 100% CPU usage and my system slowing to a crawl as well as the IDE just disappearing / closing for no reason with no warning / error messages, and a few while the IDE has just been idling in the background and I've been browsing the net or using another application (these ones give error messages but the crash.log file it mentions never exists).

JeffJ

Yep, very much the same experience here. As far as crashes go, this is definitely the most unstable version of GMS2 I've experienced. What's funny is that it seems rather random; some days it doesn't crash at all or maybe just once, then other days, it can literally crash every 5 minutes (no exaggeration). I too suspect the warnings and/or auto complete (or a combination) as I've also most often experienced it when coding, not so much when using the room editor, sprite editor or other parts. I've also not experienced the deadlock thing, but that may be due to me still being on Windows 10 version 1511 (build 10586).

I must say though that, aside from the extreme amounts of crashes, this is actually a surprisingly good release. I haven't been able to find any Spine issues or other major issues, and it really is great having the new Spine features. Considering this is a beta that comes with a big fat warning label, I'm impressed.

Posh Indie

That Guy
Yeah, I opted into the Beta channel for fun. Crashes quite often, but as @JeffJ stated, it has that warning on it. I accepted the risks. Outside of random (sometimes often? not always often?) crashes (And the code error checker marking non-errors as errors (eg. Variable only used once... it still lets me build, haha. That is more like a warning.)) it seems okay.

I

immortalx

Also having the issue where just typing in the code window leads to a crash with no warnings. The strange thing is it only started doing this today, on both machines I use GM on.

Dunkelheit

Sometimes I feel that I'm still using an IDE and specially an editor from 90s. We lack a lot of functionalities we can easily get from any modern IDE and Editors, like JetBrains IDEs, Visual Studio Code, Atom, Brackets and so on.

Simple requests that any modern IDE and Editor can do:

- when you type any brackets, the editor automatically close it and put ";" in the end;
- grow selection;
- refectory;
- custom shortcuts and hotkeys (at least for the editor);
- dynamic/smart snippet;
- more smoother and nicer rendering fonts;

rIKmAN

Yeah, I opted into the Beta channel for fun. Crashes quite often, but as @JeffJ stated, it has that warning on it. I accepted the risks. Outside of random (sometimes often? not always often?) crashes (And the code error checker marking non-errors as errors (eg. Variable only used once... it still lets me build, haha. That is more like a warning.)) it seems okay.
Yeah don't get me wrong, this is feedback and not complaining - the beta label is exactly that and as you say: bugs should be expected.
However I need to get some work done and can't handle the crashes so have rolled back for a bit, then I'll update again to play with some more Spine stuff which as Jeff says I'm actually surprised with as I've found no bugs, glitches or anomalies in my testing so far which I'm so so SO happy about!

We should eventually be able to disable to warnings and/or change the error colour in future updates - using red the same as an error was a silly idea and just causes unnecesary confusion.

If / when they fix the crashing and teething problems with the warnings / autocomplete I think this will be a really solid update adding some nice stuff.
But I would say that as I've been waiting for the Spine update for 2yrs+ so..... :D

Posh Indie

That Guy
Yeah don't get me wrong, this is feedback and not complaining - the beta label is exactly that and as you say: bugs should be expected.
However I need to get some work done and can't handle the crashes so have rolled back for a bit, then I'll update again to play with some more Spine stuff which as Jeff says I'm actually surprised with as I've found no bugs, glitches or anomalies in my testing so far which I'm so so SO happy about!

We should eventually be able to disable to warnings and/or change the error colour in future updates - using red the same as an error was a silly idea and just causes unnecesary confusion.

If / when they fix the crashing and teething problems with the warnings / autocomplete I think this will be a really solid update adding some nice stuff.
But I would say that as I've been waiting for the Spine update for 2yrs+ so..... :D
Definitely! My post was not intended to seem directed at anyone. If you intend to get things done, rolling back is probably the best thing to do right now.

I was just admitting that since it is a Beta channel that I opted into, I cannot be a Negative Nancy about it, haha.

gnysek

Sometimes I feel that I'm still using an IDE and specially an editor from 90s. We lack a lot of functionalities we can easily get from any modern IDE and Editors, like JetBrains IDEs, Visual Studio Code, Atom, Brackets and so on.

Simple requests that any modern IDE and Editor can do:

- when you type any brackets, the editor automatically close it and put ";" in the end;
- grow selection;
- refectory;
- custom shortcuts and hotkeys (at least for the editor);
- dynamic/smart snippet;
- more smoother and nicer rendering fonts;
in 2029 maybe ? :D most of it is somewhere on "consideration" roadmap.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
That's IDE v2.2.2.393 Runtime v2.2.2.308 released now, so you can all hopefully have a stable code editor to play around with over the weekend. Full details in the first post in this thread.

IGameArt

I'm not getting crashes anymore, and my game is no longer failing to compile because of ternary operator failures on yyc. Now my only problem is the hour long compile times. (I have a lot of complicated code apparently)

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Good to hear the crashes are gone and your game compiles now. Thanks for feeding-back!

rIKmAN

I've loaded in a few projects, including those which crashed the IDE in the previous release - and so far so good!

Will do more testing over the weekend, thanks for getting it out so quickly.

I

immortalx

I confirm too that code windows no longer crash and the addition of the different gutter colour for variable references is more than welcome. The only problem (at least for me) still is the whitescreen/Windows deadlock issue. If it wasn't so frequent I'd have no complaint.

How come I'm still seeing IDE v.2.2.1.375 Beta Runtime v.2.2.2.302 (not this? IDE v2.2.2.393 Runtime v2.2.2.308), despite already doing login-logout and pressing 'New IDE' several times? I wonder what's the cause.

Vallo92

@rmanthorp
I've just installed the latest version of the bate. I noticed that now the first index of a string using the function "string_char_at" is 1 instead of 0. Is it a bug or has this change been made?
I ask because in the release notes I did not find this information.

zbox

GMC Elder
Thank god for that CPU usage issue fix in .393.

Literally had to reboot the PC every 5 seconds.

Hyomoto

@rmanthorp
I've just installed the latest version of the bate. I noticed that now the first index of a string using the function "string_char_at" is 1 instead of 0. Is it a bug or has this change been made?
I ask because in the release notes I did not find this information.
This has always bee the case. Strings have always started at one. For example, if you use string_pos(), and the string does not appear, it would return 0. I'm not sure if this is the case, but it may have been that string_char_at() would return the first character if passed a zero, but it always returned the first character if passed a 1.

Vallo92

This has always bee the case. Strings have always started at one. For example, if you use string_pos(), and the string does not appear, it would return 0. I'm not sure if this is the case, but it may have been that string_char_at() would return the first character if passed a zero, but it always returned the first character if passed a 1.
Exact. But this changes the value indicating the last position of the string character. If for example I have to use a switch I have to change the values of the "cause", because if (for example using a string "1234") before I had the values 0-3, now I have to set the values 1-4, otherwise in the last value I have an error.

Have you tried clicking the link to download the new use installer? That's what I had to do.
'New Use Installer', where can I see that option?

I've done these in the standalone version (Steam version logged out to prevent conflict);
1. pressed "New IDE" : no result
2. login/logout : no result
3. preference -> Runtime -> Beta -> Refresh : no result.

The only thing I guess I haven't tried is to reinstall using GMS2.exe from YoYo Website, but my logic says it's ridiculous if I've to do that each time a new IDE beta is available.

rIKmAN

'New Use Installer', where can I see that option?

I've done these in the standalone version (Steam version logged out to prevent conflict);
1. pressed "New IDE" : no result
2. login/logout : no result
3. preference -> Runtime -> Beta -> Refresh : no result.

The only thing I guess I haven't tried is to reinstall using GMS2.exe from YoYo Website, but my logic says it's ridiculous if I've to do that each time a new IDE beta is available.
You are prompted to update when you launch the IDE and an update is detected.

If you aren't prompted you can go here: http://gms.yoyogames.com/ReleaseNotes-Beta.html
Dwnload the installer and run it - you'll be on the latest version.

I'm assuming you have opted in to the beta channel?

IGameArt

New Ide only opens up another GM window for you, useful if you have a multi monitor set up. It has nothing to do with updating your IDE.

Status
Not open for further replies.