• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

OFFICIAL GMS2 Version 2.1.0.212

B

Beleg

That sounds like you need to enable persistence on the room?
Dave
Thanks for your answer. All my rooms are persistent. Also note that this problem does not happen at all under the previous runtime feed (version no. 2.0.7.110).

There is no hurry to solve this problem. I am still fine using the previous runtime feed.

If I drag an existing script into a script group folder, the entire resource tree collapses and puts the focus on some random object in the object folders. *every-freaking-time*

Thank goodness I can drag multiple scripts at the same time, or it would be infinitely more troublesome.
On first load of my project after updating to 2.1.0.207, this doesn't seem to be happening to me anymore.

Either its fixed, or only occurs after I've been using the IDE for a while. Will have to pay attention to when/how it occurs (if at all anymore).

E

Excalipur

On first load of my project after updating to 2.1.0.207, this doesn't seem to be happening to me anymore.

Either its fixed, or only occurs after I've been using the IDE for a while. Will have to pay attention to when/how it occurs (if at all anymore).
I know that happens when you search for something in the resource tree, but don't delete the search when you are finished, as I've had the same thing happen to me. A bug makes it go back to the searched object every time you put something into a folder. So that could be what is happening to you.

Shut

YYC Windows not working for me. No errors, just keeps building while the PC lags a lot... Tested it on a small project that used to run fine in the previous version and compiled under 2 minutes, I left it for 8 minutes and it was still compiling...

Stuck at Build for architecture - x86

Last edited:
Small maybe non-issue here.

After installing the Mac Beta version of 2.1.0.207, the installer auto-runs GMS 2.

I then was checking the Preferences->Paths settings, and noticed that it was set to a different location:

upload_2017-8-26_1-23-59.png

After re-starting the IDE, the path was set back to normal.

A

Almericus

Ever since that update there is a new glitch that happens with the player moving speed when spaming directions keys.
I am using the following code from my player object for moving left (Key down) with the same idea for each directions;
if (Movements==true)
{
if run=false {
if keyboard_check (ord("A")) and place_free(x-2.3,y){x-=2.3}
}
if run=true {
if keyboard_check(ord("A")) and place_free(x-4.3,y) {x-= 4.3}
}
}

When I spam each keys then the character speed stack up and the game turns unstable. I know this is from this version because I've tried multiple backups and reinstalled GameMaker Studio 2 countless times and rebooted.
I am striving to find a workaround so if any of you can help you would be blessed.

The release notes mention a new debugger and debugger tutorial video in the tutorials section of the start page. However I don't see the video listed there. Does anyone else have this issue?

D

Deeje

If your code somehow uses/depends on the numerical resource index and therefore the order of resources in the resource tree, you need to change your code. Maybe start a separate forum topic if you need help with that.

This is because, if you didn't already know, the resources index number is determined by its order in the resource tree. A resource that returns the index of 10, will return a different index if I move it to other position in the tree.

If not, and you think it may be a bug, file a bug report as suggested earlier.
Thanks, after further inspection it was my fault. Just happened to coincide with the update.

E

Edmanbosch

@Mike @rwkay I'm just reeeeally curious why #region was chosen over just using brackets for folding and having a preference for it?
I don't think it was chosen over it, they just probably didn't think about. Other languages do this too.

chirpy

I'm not entirely sure this started to happen after the update, but now every time I clicked "Clean (CTRL+F7)" I ended up seeing this:
"Compile Error : Cache directory could not be deleted, perhaps a process is locking the directory? Please try again"

[Edit: I now believe the above-mentioned error was harmless]

Also, my iOS sprites got messed up / swapped around (when PC VM builds are fine), just like what happened with html5 sprites before. I thought that was fixed long time ago. Old tricks of changing atlas size or cleaning didn't work either.

I consider it my bad to upgrade right after release, but please fix.

[Edit 2017/9/8: The "compile error" totally is not harmless. I eliminated it by manually clear everything from my "AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache" folder, and my sprite mismatch issue was gone.]

Last edited:
E

Edmanbosch

For some reason, autocomplete doesn't seem to be working. It was working in the last version of 2.1 .

rIKmAN

For some reason, autocomplete doesn't seem to be working. It was working in the last version of 2.1 .
Seems to be working fine here, what's the exact issue with it?

Might be worth uninstalling / reinstalling GMS to see if that fixes it?

E

Edmanbosch

Seems to be working fine here, what's the exact issue with it?

Might be worth uninstalling / reinstalling GMS to see if that fixes it?
The problem is that it just keeps popping up quickly then disappearing, and it's positioned farther down the screen than my code.

I might try doing that, I'll do it later and see if it works.

yuigoto

Did something change with how fonts are generated, when creating a font in GMS2, specialy when non-aliased?

Using non-aliased fonts, like Ubuntu Mono, at small sizes (8, 9, 10) used to render really nice and kinda pixel-perfect, but now they render kinda uglier...:(

Look at the comparison below to see what I mean:

The text on the left comes from a previous build of a test project I have here. The one on the right is a project I opened and updated the font. Both are the same font: Ubuntu Mono, at size 8, bold and without anti-aliasing. It's clearly visible that something changed when generating the font sprite on the right, as it looks way different. Did this happen to anyone else?

Last edited:

rIKmAN

Pressing the Home key now takes you to the very start of the line, rather than the start of the text on that line like it did in previous versions.

I can't find a setting for this in the preferences, and it's really annoying - it's like using 1.4 again.

Anything I can do to change back to the old behaviour?

Last edited:
I

IceExplosive

Am I the only one that got broken Image Editor with one of those last two updates?
When drawing literally anything the draw itself is off the cursor position. When drawing rectangle border for example, the height of a top/bottom border is about half the size of width of right/left borders (and corners still off the cursor position)...
Code folding fine, but have to write it like this? No thanks... writing it wastes more time than it saves. New resource tree... well not really happy about it but at least I can get the old one back.
How about adding at least some keybindings for sections? ... select code - press ... don't know ctrl+i for example and those lines '#region #endregion' will be added as new lines before and after selected area... although I'm not even sure if there are any keybindings, I've not seen them since GM:S 1.4
But it's the same like other... want add description? Well not anymore mere /// you have to add @description -> again so damn long that I don't border to write them anymore. How about description for script so it will hint you parameters? Well I think I saw it done somehow, but forgot how to do it -> it's so damn unintuitive! (Again it used to be mere /// nothing more... I just don't understand whats wrong with YoYo mindset... again there can be at least shortcut to insert those lines at the begginning since it has to be written like this or add option to create those lines with every new file... but hey that would be too simple to write then.
I could go on and on with things that GM:S 1.4 did so much better... yes new Image editor (if not broken) & room editor are better, but the coding not really.
Regions are also pretty cheap replacement for separate actions or how it used to be called. In IDE when working on complex project I'm spending insane about of time just scrolling up/down because how code windows are placed (Yes I know about right click that will show me list of opened windows... but thats not that swift anyway). I'm really starting to regret buying this.

If anything I've written is off (I've missed that option) please correct me as I'd love to use it.
YoYo should take a better look on 1.4 IDE and reimplement the best of it, which was mastered over years, not ignore it writing their own and worse solution.

EDIT: Sry if it sounds too unobjective, but that Image Editor just broke me and I had to let it out. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
S

spas13

After updated to 2.1.0.204 and also 207, string linebreak between 2bytes characters(Japanese) stopped working...
It was fine in previous version(2.0.7.171) using "\n" and @"" such function like draw_text_ext.
Any solution?

B

Beleg

After updated to 2.1.0.204 and also 207, string linebreak between 2bytes characters(Japanese) stopped working...
It was fine in previous version(2.0.7.171) using "\n" and @"" such function like draw_text_ext.
Any solution?
Same problem here, using latin characters, but only when building with YYC. String line breaks operate like expected when building with VM.

B

Beleg

Did something change with how fonts are generated, when creating a font in GMS2, specialy when non-aliased?

Using non-aliased fonts, like Ubuntu Mono, at small sizes (8, 9, 10) used to render really nice and kinda pixel-perfect, but now they render kinda uglier...:(

Look at the comparison below to see what I mean:
[...]
The text on the left comes from a previous build of a test project I have here. The one on the right is a project I opened and updated the font. Both are the same font: Ubuntu Mono, at size 8, bold and without anti-aliasing. It's clearly visible that something changed when generating the font sprite on the right, as it looks way different. Did this happen to anyone else?
The same is happening to me, using the simple Arial font.

yuigoto

The same is happening to me, using the simple Arial font.
Exactly, fonts like Arial and Verdana, which used to render with a really nice pixelated look, or some properly hinted fonts are rendering like that. It might be just a small detail, but I think a lot of people generate their fonts by installing a TrueType font and generating a font through GMS2, and might think they look..."different". :/

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
@Mike @rwkay I'm just reeeeally curious why #region was chosen over just using brackets for folding and having a preference for it?
Because it's horrible, and it means you can't fold "chunk" of code, just sections of it. Also means the left edge has millions of little "+" everywhere, which is just noise.

C# uses the #region/#endregion with a comment beside it, and that makes a lot more sense than folding an IF or FOR loop.

Any solution?
Do you mean text wrapping? Text wrapping is based on spaces, it will word wrap where there is a space. It will not wrap or split a long list of characters. This was mistakenly changed a while back, but broke a few things meaning word wrapping was no longer working properly.

If you have no spaces in your text, and just want to fit a certain number if characters in a row, you can just print sub strings to the length that will fit your self. Its not really wrapping, it's just splitting.

Just loop through each character, adding its width on, and when you get to the length of the visible line, print that section, and start again.

Last edited:
E

Edmanbosch

Because it's horrible, and it means you can't fold "chunk" of code, just sections of it. Also means the left edge has millions of little "+" everywhere, which is just noise.

C# uses the #region/#endregion with a comment beside it, and that makes a lot more sense than folding an IF or FOR loop.
Many IDEs for C# also allow you to do it with loops and methods and similar things, in fact it's common for most IDE's and text editors in general. This is standard for most IDE's and text editors, so it not being in the IDE is really weird when it's already there for making custom folds. This feature should be added for brackets.

Reactions: Yal

DukeSoft

I disagree 100%..
upload_2017-8-26_17-42-38.png

This looks heavenly to me.

What bothers me more is that there's 80 pixels (almost 5% width of my 1080p monitor) of unused space.
upload_2017-8-26_17-44-34.png

Tsa05

What bothers me more is that there's 80 pixels (almost 5%) of unused space.
Though in the heavenly example right above, there's 70px of space in the margin... Purgatory is 10px wide, confirmed.

Code folding-wise, I think I'm an odd duck--I want the current method for deliberate folding, and then some kind of horrific "Fold all but current" button that temporarily folds everything by brackets except the block I'm in right now. (And then, removes the temp folds for each thing I unfold or whenever I close a window) It's really just that I'm lazy about adding intentional folds, and then find myself scrolling for miles. Hmm? Me, change my habits? Barbaric!!!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I support bracket folding as well, it has the advantage that you don't need devote actual effort into making it possible to fold your code, you can just do it when the need arises. And I also think the current margin is a bit on the wide side, you don't usually have line numbers in the six figures...

Code folding fine, but have to write it like this? No thanks... writing it wastes more time than it saves. New resource tree... well not really happy about it but at least I can get the old one back.
How about adding at least some keybindings for sections? ... select code - press ... don't know ctrl+i for example and those lines '#region #endregion' will be added as new lines before and after selected area... although I'm not even sure if there are any keybindings, I've not seen them since GM:S 1.4
But it's the same like other... want add description? Well not anymore mere /// you have to add @description -> again so damn long that I don't border to write them anymore. How about description for script so it will hint you parameters? Well I think I saw it done somehow, but forgot how to do it -> it's so damn unintuitive! (Again it used to be mere /// nothing more... I just don't understand whats wrong with YoYo mindset... again there can be at least shortcut to insert those lines at the begginning since it has to be written like this or add option to create those lines with every new file... but hey that would be too simple to write then.
Also this too. If you're just writing code for yourself and just want quick dirty hints for the argument order because you always forget if it's blend first and alpha second or vice versa, now you need to write several lines of stuff and that's too much effort for little throwaway scripts. And similar with the description of code events... though that's not as big of a deal in GML-only projects since you only get one code event per line anyway.

If there's some way to customize these, it's definitely not easy to dig up.

D

Deeje

Pressing the Home key now takes you to the very start of the line, rather than the start of the text on that line like it did in previous versions.

I can't find a setting for this in the preferences, and it's really annoying - it's like using 1.4 again.

Anything I can do to change back to the old behaviour?
THIS. Home key ignores indention. Been driving me absolutely nuts.

I

IceExplosive

When drawing literally anything the draw itself is off the cursor position. When drawing rectangle border for example, the height of a top/bottom border is about half the size of width of right/left borders (and corners still off the cursor position)...
Ok got back to it and found out the problem. As room editor not allows large grid (to hint chunks) I wanted to create sprite that would serve as chunk border and tile my room for development with it... Problem was that I chose 2560*1600 chunks and it exceeded the resource texture's size (2048x2048 by default) ... so it started to act weird.
Problem is not solved even with increasing that texture size, but at least I know what is making it... seems that image editor is limited to 2048x2048px to work properly. (Or have to clean/rebuild/restart after changing texture size... haven't tried).

gnysek

answer will be same as for JSDOC - "we prefer it".

Why not like other IDEs, first press moves to "start of text", second "to start of line", than third again to "start of text" etc. I really loved this feature, as in 90% of cases I want to move at start of text.

C

Crask

Hi fellow beings, this is previous runtime/IDE when old debugger hits the breakpoint:

GMS2_previous_debugger.png

And this is new runtime/IDE when new debugger hits the breakpoint:

GMS2_new_debugger_memory leak.png

After this huge memory leak debugger crashes. To clear the accumulated memory GMS2 needs to be restarted. Otherwise it will grow.

gnysek

Doesn't seem to be working at all if there's #region areas in the current file.
played with it longer and it seems, that it's rendered outside of screen so many lines lower, as collapsed #regions have. If the bottom of completion window is below current window, it will hide instantly (probably thinking it's outside of IDE).

upload_2017-8-27_0-18-48.png

A

Almericus

Anyone else having the problem with the character moving speed after the upgrade? If not then please help find out how to code it. I am turning insane trying to resolve this and I need your help!!!!

stigmund77

Really great update, absolutely love code folding, hopefully you guys can fix the isues asap (auto complete showing on the incorrect line). Apart from the bugs however this really makes working with huge scripts so much better.

Geoff Jones

Love the resource tree. But hitting tab and it going to the start of the line instead of the start of the code is a bit off-putting. No other noticeable issues yet.

rIKmAN

Love the resource tree. But hitting tab and it going to the start of the line instead of the start of the code is a bit off-putting. No other noticeable issues yet.
Do you mean hitting Home?

I've just rolled back to the older version because despite the improvements that I like, going back to the start of line is just too damn annoying and really breaking my workflow.

I've just reported it as a bug too, so hopefully it'll go back to the old method soon.

D

Deeje

Recent windows feature could be useful if it listed a whole chain rather than every event in it, or if you could pin items to it. Having create, step, draw, etc. all show up on the panel for the same object renders it pretty useless because you end up searching through the panel just as you would the resource tree.

Resource tree would do well to have master category icons persistently on the left side of the tree that would act like tabs.

Geoff Jones

Do you mean hitting Home?

I've just rolled back to the older version because despite the improvements that I like, going back to the start of line is just too damn annoying and really breaking my workflow.

I've just reported it as a bug too, so hopefully it'll go back to the old method soon.
Opps yes I meant home, not tab. I think I'll stick with it a bit longer untill it drives me batty :)

P

psyke

Do you mean text wrapping? Text wrapping is based on spaces, it will word wrap where there is a space. It will not wrap or split a long list of characters. This was mistakenly changed a while back, but broke a few things meaning word wrapping was no longer working properly.

If you have no spaces in your text, and just want to fit a certain number if characters in a row, you can just print sub strings to the length that will fit your self. Its not really wrapping, it's just splitting.

Just loop through each character, adding its width on, and when you get to the length of the visible line, print that section, and start again.
"\n" is broken on YYC builds (I've tested this on Windows), and this is not something new to this build. I've already filled this bug a few weeks ago, but it seems that it wasn't fixed yet.
If you type "\r" instead of "\n" on YYC builds, it will work. The problem of doing this is that if you have a localization file, you will have to replace all the occurrences of "\n" with "\r" =(

L

Lahssoo

The problem is that it just keeps popping up quickly then disappearing, and it's positioned farther down the screen than my code.

I might try doing that, I'll do it later and see if it works.
Same problem here, reinstall did not fix anything sadly... Any solution on your hand, or should I file a bug?

Edit : Oh. The autocompletion bug only appears when the writing cursor is located after a folded #region block actually.

Last edited by a moderator:

gnysek

Same problem here, reinstall did not fix anything sadly... Any solution on your hand, or should I file a bug?

Edit : Oh. The autocompletion bug only appears when the writing cursor is located after a folded #region block actually.
After lot of tests, it only hides if "cursor top position in px + folded region height in px + height of autocomplete windows in px > IDE window bottom". So sometimes just making some windows smaller/bigger and moving around workspace fixes issue, for a while.

DireMind

Love the new version of Game Maker! It keeps getting better and better. An issue I've noticed is that calling iap_activate() for Google Play only works with the Google Licensing extension installed and licensing activated.

Last edited:
S

Scooter

GMS 2 crashes when I attempt to load or start a new project on Mac. No one else getting this?? Completely broken for me.

GMS 2 crashes when I attempt to load or start a new project on Mac. No one else getting this?? Completely broken for me.
It's working for me on my Mac mini(late 2012, macOS Sierra 10.12.6), both new and existing projects.

In Preferences->Object Editor you can set the default text template that appears when you create a new event in an object.

I just noticed it doesn't work me when creating a new standalone script. Which is where I think it would be most useful, as this is normally where I would want the template to show up.

You can use:
Code:
/// @param my_parameter
Which will then appear as a code hint in the status bar.

A hotkey to insert the text would be good.

This is where Code Snippets could help for quick insertion using the Code snippets hotkey.

However, I couldn't work out how to change the code snippets on Mac. I found the snippets file inside the GMS 2 Application Package, but its locked for editing.

Am I the only one that got broken Image Editor with one of those last two updates?
Image Editor seems to be working for me so far, at least not getting the issues you describe.

L

LewisClark

Just a quick heads up to those that experience everything collapsing when moving resources about.

This seems to be happening when there is something in the 'search' textbox. At least for me whenever I drag resources about, everything will collapse apart from whatever resource is in the search box.

Easiest way round this for now I've found is to just clear the search box once you're done searching!